Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

Error in streamed MPEG4 handling - Movie.pm or Audio::Scan error ?

Looking at feasibility of an Accuradio plugins and was checking the audio streams.
    I've having a problem playing some MPEG-4 streaming URLs. Tests are on a Ubuntu system LMS 8.3 (2Jan)

It looks like a bug in either LMS MPEG-4 Handling of InitialAudioBlock or in Audio::Scan

Example URL.
    https://d1qg6pckcqcdk0.cloudfront.ne...atormundii.m4a

When downloaded as a file, the file plays OK on both an Receiver (i.e. faad MP4->Flc transcode) and a DAC32 (i.e. MP4->aac)

When played as an URL
    - no output on Receiver - faad (-q removed) produces an error - Duration, speed and channel all are wrong.
    Code:
    Streamed input format  samplerate 22050 channels 0.
    - file info:
    ADTS, 1.000 sec, 16 kbps, 44100 Hz

Error: Bitstream value not allowed by specification
    - DAC32 error following error is logged
    Code:
    [22-01-02 16:58:25.3427] Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::statHandler (156) Error: 7c:9e:bd:2b:52:94: Decoder does not support file format, code 0
    On examination an extra 4 bytes of zeroes had been inserted by LMS into the created ADTS audio stream from MPEG-4 file.
    It seems there is padding in the m4a file and so the value of "seek offset" to start of audio and length of MPEG4 header are not the same.

In Movie::findFrameBoundaries - Audio ::Scan is called on initial Audio block of m4a stream.
    Data:ump::dump of variable $info (returned from Audio::Scan)
    Code:
    [22-01-02 16:38:20.1771] Slim::Formats::Movie::findFrameBoundaries (198)  Dump of info from AudioScan do {
      require MIME::Base64;
      {
        audio_offset      => 22_092,
        audio_size        => 880_370,
        avg_bitrate       => 62_768,
        compatible_brands => ["M4A ", "mp42", "isom", "\0\0\0\0"],
        dlna_profile      => "AAC_ISO_192",
        file_size         => 22_116,
        major_brand       => "mp42",
        minor_version     => 0,
        mv_timescale      => 90_000,
        samplerate        => 22_050,
        seek_header       => MIME::Base64::decode("
        .(deleted)
        "),
        seek_offset       => 22_108,
        song_length_ms    => 224_351,
        tracks            => [
                               {
                                 audio_object_type => 2,
                                 audio_type        => 64,
                                 bits_per_sample   => 16,
                                 channels          => 1,
                                 duration          => 224_351,
                                 encoding          => "mp4a",
                                 handler_name      => "Sound Media Handler",
                                 handler_type      => "soun",
                                 id                => 1,
                                 max_bitrate       => 37_608,
                               },
                               { duration => 224_351, id => 1 },
                             ],
      };
    Audio::Scan - the length of $info->{seek_header} is 22,100
    Audio::Scan - audio_offset is at 22,092 but seek_offset to start of audio is 22,108

LMS seems to be streaming from end of MPEG4 header when it should be streaming from seek_offset which is start of audio.
    Not sure if the error is in Audio::Scan or Movie.pm.

I'll try to come up with a solution but any suggestions welcome. I need to check Audio::Scan documentation to see if the returned values are correct and expected.

Error in streamed MPEG4 handling - Movie.pm or Audio::Scan error ?

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Looking at feasibility of an Accuradio plugins and was checking the audio streams.
    I've having a problem playing some MPEG-4 streaming URLs. Tests are on a Ubuntu system LMS 8.3 (2Jan)

It looks like a bug in either LMS MPEG-4 Handling of InitialAudioBlock or in Audio::Scan

Example URL.
    https://d1qg6pckcqcdk0.cloudfront.ne...atormundii.m4a

When downloaded as a file, the file plays OK on both an Receiver (i.e. faad MP4->Flc transcode) and a DAC32 (i.e. MP4->aac)

When played as an URL
    - no output on Receiver - faad (-q removed) produces an error - Duration, speed and channel all are wrong.
    Code:
    Streamed input format  samplerate 22050 channels 0.
    - file info:
    ADTS, 1.000 sec, 16 kbps, 44100 Hz

Error: Bitstream value not allowed by specification
    - DAC32 error following error is logged
    Code:
    [22-01-02 16:58:25.3427] Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::statHandler (156) Error: 7c:9e:bd:2b:52:94: Decoder does not support file format, code 0
    On examination an extra 4 bytes of zeroes had been inserted by LMS into the created ADTS audio stream from MPEG-4 file.
    It seems there is padding in the m4a file and so the value of "seek offset" to start of audio and length of MPEG4 header are not the same.

In Movie::findFrameBoundaries - Audio ::Scan is called on initial Audio block of m4a stream.
    Data:ump::dump of variable $info (returned from Audio::Scan)
    Code:
    [22-01-02 16:38:20.1771] Slim::Formats::Movie::findFrameBoundaries (198)  Dump of info from AudioScan do {
      require MIME::Base64;
      {
        audio_offset      => 22_092,
        audio_size        => 880_370,
        avg_bitrate       => 62_768,
        compatible_brands => ["M4A ", "mp42", "isom", "\0\0\0\0"],
        dlna_profile      => "AAC_ISO_192",
        file_size         => 22_116,
        major_brand       => "mp42",
        minor_version     => 0,
        mv_timescale      => 90_000,
        seek_header       => MIME::Base64::decode("
        .(deleted)
        "),
        seek_offset       => 22_108,
        song_length_ms    => 224_351,
        tracks            => [
                               {
                                 audio_object_type => 2,
                                 audio_type        => 64,
                                 bits_per_sample   => 16,
                                 channels          => 1,
                                 duration          => 224_351,
                                 encoding          => "mp4a",
                                 handler_name      => "Sound Media Handler",
                                 handler_type      => "soun",
                                 id                => 1,
                                 max_bitrate       => 37_608,
                               },
                               { duration => 224_351, id => 1 },
                             ],
      };
    Audio::Scan - the length of $info->{seek_header} is 22,100
    Audio::Scan - audio_offset is at 22,092 but seek_offset to start of audio is 22,108

LMS seems to be streaming from end of MPEG4 header when it should be streaming from seek_offset which is start of audio.
    Not sure if the error is in Audio::Scan or Movie.pm.

I'll try to come up with a solution but any suggestions welcome. I need to check Audio::Scan documentation to see if the returned values are correct and expected.
    The error is probably in movie.pm where I calculate the offset. From memory, I donít rely on Audio::Scan when header is at the end of the file and I need to do an HTTP range to reach it. I assume I made a mistake and some files have an extended mdat header (or a similar issue) and I canít just add 8 to the mdat position.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    The error is probably in movie.pm where I calculate the offset. From memory, I donít rely on Audio::Scan when header is at the end of the file and I need to do an HTTP range to reach it. I assume I made a mistake and some files have an extended mdat header (or a similar issue) and I canít just add 8 to the mdat position.
    The URL is streamable and so the header is at the start but there is padding at end (maybe a "free" atom) which is throwing things off.

After looking at AudioScan soc, it says "seek_header - A rewritten MP4 header that can be prepended to the audio data" - I interpret "rewritten" to means "not the same as source" (e.g. "free" atom removed) and so I think the problem lies in Movie.pm.

I now need to remember all the MPEG4 and InitialAudioBlock stuff to create a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The URL is streamable and so the header is at the start but there is padding at end (maybe a "free" atom) which is throwing things off.

After looking at AudioScan soc, it says "seek_header - A rewritten MP4 header that can be prepended to the audio data" - I interpret "rewritten" to means "not the same as source" (e.g. "free" atom removed) and so I think the problem lies in Movie.pm.

I now need to remember all the MPEG4 and InitialAudioBlock stuff to create a fix.
    If you are not too much in a hurry, I can have a look today or tomorrow
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

If you are not too much in a hurry, I can have a look today or tomorrow
    I think the "mdat" box has an extended size over 8 bytes and not 4, that's what I'm missing; I'll re-read mp4 standard to be sure

I think the "mdat" box has an extended size over 8 bytes and not 4, that's what I'm missing; I'll re-read mp4 standard to be sure
    It's a background project so no urgency at all. I'll have a look at the standard again as I'm sure I've forgotten lots.