Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

Strange Boom WiFi connection problem - SOLVED !

My Boom suddenly refused to connect to my LMS via WiFi. Ethernet was fine. Via WiFi it would get an IP assigned but then “fail to connect to …..” I tried all the common approaches (new WiFi card, new power supply, replaced all capacitors) but nothing brought lasting success. What was odd was the fact that it showed up on iPeng with its correct name but would not let me assign it to the LMS or to mysqueezebox.com

Finally, it turned out that all this was caused by my new mesh router where I use the same SSID for the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band. Even though the router showed the Boom connected to the 2.4GHz radio on the router status page it just didn’t work. As soon as I use an exclusive SSID with only 2.4GHz enabled on on older ASUS router all is well. My new router is an ASUS ZenWiFi AX8 with latest firmware. Thoughts anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by PcarSBA View Post
    My Boom suddenly refused to connect to my LMS via WiFi. Ethernet was fine. Via WiFi it would get an IP assigned but then “fail to connect to …..” I tried all the common approaches (new WiFi card, new power supply, replaced all capacitors) but nothing brought lasting success. What was odd was the fact that it showed up on iPeng with its correct name but would not let me assign it to the LMS or to mysqueezebox.com

Finally, it turned out that all this was caused by my new mesh router where I use the same SSID for the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band. Even though the router showed the Boom connected to the 2.4GHz radio on the router status page it just didn’t work. As soon as I use an exclusive SSID with only 2.4GHz enabled on on older ASUS router all is well. My new router is an ASUS ZenWiFi AX8 with latest firmware. Thoughts anyone ?
    I have the same ASUS WiFi system and this also worked for me. I got the idea from my TV, which also needs its own guest network to connect.

Strange — my Google Nest mesh routers and access point use the same SSID for 2.4 and 5, yet I do not have that problem with my Booms.

I have the same mesh router, and my Boom has no problem.

I disabled Smart Connect on the router (merged 2.4/5GHz) as I read it could cause issues.

And I have separate SSIDs for all three wifi channels.