Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Network drive / Samba issues with Mac OS

Hi,

I've just switched from a Windows laptop to a MacBook Air (M1)

And immediately run into some issues with MacOS and Samba

I have a rather large music library (c8TB) on an external HDD attached to a Pi4 LMS server

This has never been an issue on Windows (browsing, searching/sorting, copying/deleting files etc) - but it's basically impossible on MacOS

I've read all sorts of things online, but nothing having any impact as yet.

I wondered if anyone on the forum who's using a Mac has a good solution to this?

Many thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by PugRallye View Post
    Hi,

I've just switched from a Windows laptop to a MacBook Air (M1)

And immediately run into some issues with MacOS and Samba

I have a rather large music library (c8TB) on an external HDD attached to a Pi4 LMS server

This has never been an issue on Windows (browsing, searching/sorting, copying/deleting files etc) - but it's basically impossible on MacOS

I've read all sorts of things online, but nothing having any impact as yet.

I wondered if anyone on the forum who's using a Mac has a good solution to this?

Many thanks...
    I'm not certain, but it could be the Samba version. There are 3 main versions, SMB1 is deprecated, SMB2 & SMB3 are current. Try "sudo smbstatus" on your Pi4. At the top of the response, you'll see what protocol version you're using
    Code:
    Samba version 4.13.14-Ubuntu
    PID     Username     Group        Machine                                   Protocol Version  Encryption           Signing
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2472431 nobody       nogroup      192.168.3.14 (ipv4:192.168.3.14:60004)    SMB3_11           -                    -
    If you're still using SMB2, I believe MacOS doesn't support this "out of the box". To enable it
    Code:
    echo "[default]" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf
    echo "protocol_vers_map=2" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

Source: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/680252
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

If it is any consolation, I use a 2016 Macbook Pro running MacOS Monterey and the Rpi is using SAMBA version SMB3_11 and I don't have any trouble connecting. Is the drive formatted as EXT3 or EXT4? If not, you may not be able to do editing over the network.

Thanks for that command tip, though, I didn't know it existed. Interestingly, I had two folders that were not 'collapsed' and they appeared as "RDONLY"! I checked the file permissions for those two folders and all appeared the same as other folders. When I collapsed the two folders and ran the command again they no longer displayed in the list.
    Last edited by stereoptic; 2021-11-30 at 18:29.

Having spent many hours reading and fiddling, I decided to give up - basically it seems that MacBooks just don't play nice with Samba

Especially when you have a lot of data/large folders (as I do)

However, I did then look at using SFTP (basically FTP over SSH) and this works a treat!

I can connect, browse, manage files etc using apps like FileZilla

I'm also looking at Forklift (a paid for alternative to Finder that can also connect directly, i.e. a mapped drive, to SFTP)

It does appear that Finder should also be able to connect/map a drive using SFTP (although it uses ftps:// for some reason), but I've not been able to get that working as yet

So it appears that the solution is to ignore using smb:// to connect, and instead use sftp://

Network drive / Samba issues with Mac OS

> Having spent many hours reading and fiddling, I decided to give up -
    > basically it seems that MacBooks just don't play nice with Samba

Ahm... I'm using it every single day. With tens of thousands of files.

My main music folder has 1000s and 1000s of subfolders and is still basically unresponsive in Finder

I've got myself up and running using FileZilla and SFTP to connect to the Samba share and transfer files

But it's still not a really good alternative to having the Samba share mounted in Finder

I found this article https://medium.com/@augusteo/fixing-...r-ed7e5ea784c1 which gives some info on how to improve Samba response when connecting using a MacBook

It suggests inserting the following into the smb.conf file:

Code:
    vfs objects = fruit
    fruit:aapl = yes
    fruit:encoding = native
    fruit:locking = none
    fruit:metadata = stream
    fruit:resource = file
    Is anyone able to comment as to whether or not these changes will help?

After some rummaging, I found the smb.conf file here: /usr/local/etc/samba

However, I can't edit changes (using vi) because it's marked as readonly (ls -l shows "-rw-r--r--" as the permissions)

Is this just because Samba is running, and if so would it be as simple as stopping Samba, editing the file, restarting Samba again?

Thank you for any help...