Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Raspberry pi 4 with PiCorePlayer HDMI Hi-Res Noise

Posted in 3rd Party Hardware and not getting any feedback, so trying here....

Ran into an issue with Transporter down sampling everything to 96 kHz when I synchronize. Transporter is connected via coax to Krell Digital Vanguard integrated amp. LMS is 8.2. Decided to try moving one of my Raspberry pi 4 with piCorePlayer 8.0 to replace the Transporter to see if that would fix the problem. Well, it did... however, .dsf files and .flac files at his-res play, but with a hiss in the background. HDMI is connected to Raspberry pi slot 0 next to power connection and then connected to Krell Digital Vanguard Integrated Amp HDMI port. I've run through all the output settings with no success. Also tried changing DSD settings in piCorePlayer to 3:32be, 3:16be and 3:u8. No issues with playing at 44kHz, just Hi-resolution files.

Appreciate any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bscott View Post
    Posted in 3rd Party Hardware and not getting any feedback, so trying here....

Ran into an issue with Transporter down sampling everything to 96 kHz when I synchronize. Transporter is connected via coax to Krell Digital Vanguard integrated amp. LMS is 8.2. Decided to try moving one of my Raspberry pi 4 with piCorePlayer 8.0 to replace the Transporter to see if that would fix the problem. Well, it did... however, .dsf files and .flac files at his-res play, but with a hiss in the background. HDMI is connected to Raspberry pi slot 0 next to power connection and then connected to Krell Digital Vanguard Integrated Amp HDMI port. I've run through all the output settings with no success. Also tried changing DSD settings in piCorePlayer to 3:32be, 3:16be and 3:u8. No issues with playing at 44kHz, just Hi-resolution files.

Appreciate any help.
    You could try USB input instead of HDMI.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

No USB input on the Krell Amp/DAC. HDMI x 2, Coax and Toslink.

I'm not familiar with PCP or audio over HDMI on Pi but a duplicated Raspbian thread from MAr 2021 seems to indicate that Pi4 default 16 bit output to HDMI not 24 bit. If this is so on PCP as well, could this may be the origin of hiss.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4204
    https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewt...6656&p=1835193

What does alsa-capabilities say about the "hw:" device for HMDI-0 (e.g. sample size supported) ? is it any different for HDMI-1 ?

Hw:card=b1,dev=0

Have a Hifiberry Digi2 Pro enrolled. Which should fix the issue. However, was trying to get Hdmi to work in the mean time.