Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @ronnie

Yeah it's a headless server, no desktop installed. I installed SL the same way you described in my user account with "sudo install squeezelite" if you run "ps aux | grep squeeze" you should see it running as root.

Trying "hw:CARD=PT100,DEV=0" gives me the same issue. Unable to use the DAC at DEV0. I can only seem to use it at DEV1 which is limited to 44.1k-48k.

@Paul

There is plenty of space. SL just can't seem to use the DAC at HW:1,0.

@all

Thank you everyone for the help. I'm about to give up on this DAC and maybe buy one with better resolution via USB. Any suggestions? I've seen a lot of people using Toppings DACs

Quote Originally Posted by hafnpin View Post
    Yeah it's a headless server, no desktop installed. I installed SL the same way you described in my user account with "sudo install squeezelite" if you run "ps aux | grep squeeze" you should see it running as root.

Trying "hw:CARD=PT100,DEV=0" gives me the same issue. Unable to use the DAC at DEV0. I can only seem to use it at DEV1 which is limited to 44.1k-48k.
    Have you checked whether the card has additional controls - maybe accessible via alsamixer/alscactl ?

Quote Originally Posted by hafnpin View Post
    @all

Thank you everyone for the help. I'm about to give up on this DAC and maybe buy one with better resolution via USB. Any suggestions? I've seen a lot of people using Toppings DACs
    I would first give the new Bullseye raspberry PI OS Lite a try

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/ra...armhf-lite.zip

If you use the raspberry pi Imager tool you can preconfigure wireless and ssh connection. It also has a more recent squeezelite version which can be easily updated.

It also does not use PulseAudio, just update and full-upgrade then install squeezelite with apt

Just leave all settings (apart from the output) at default.

For a dac, one I really like is this one

https://www.khadas.com/tone1

Generic Edition:

40-pin GPIO is absent.
    Only able to connect via USB-C to USB-A 2.0 Cable(white)to desktop PCs, laptops, Raspberry Pis, and other 3rd party SBCs.

But it also depends on your usage case and preferences.

hope you have better luck

ronnie

If you haven't tried turning off mmap (see earlier post) then it is worth having a go.
    In the old days I think it had to be off for RPi4.
    Long ago I posted a link to a 3rd party blog that said that mmap support had been added to Raspbian ALSA back in 2013 but maybe it hasn't in current pCP.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

@hafnpin

Late last night I Gave the Ubuntu image from the rpi foundation a go, failed miserably

Fresh attempt this morning (after Goldilocks's porridge)

Success

Ubuntu 20.04 server download

Welcome to Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-1047-raspi armv7l)

Code:
    login as: ubuntu
    ubuntu@192.168.1.104's password:
    Access denied
    ubuntu@192.168.1.104's password:
    Welcome to Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-1047-raspi armv7l)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com
     * Management:     https://landscape.canonical.com
     * Support:        https://ubuntu.com/advantage

System information as of Sat Dec  4 09:13:12 UTC 2021

System load:  1.13               Temperature:           57.5 C
      Usage of /:   18.2% of 14.30GB   Processes:             143
      Memory usage: 11%                Users logged in:       0
      Swap usage:   0%                 IPv4 address for eth0: 192.168.1.104

* Super-optimized for small spaces - read how we shrank the memory
       footprint of MicroK8s to make it the smallest full K8s around.

https://ubuntu.com/blog/microk8s-memory-optimisation

0 updates can be applied immediately.

Last login: Sat Dec  4 08:46:11 2021 from 192.168.1.107
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ Welcome to Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-1047-raspi armv7l)
    -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ squeezelite -l
    Output devices:
      null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
      default:CARD=b1                - bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 - Default Audio Device
      sysdefault:CARD=b1             - bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 - Default Audio Device
      dmix:CARD=b1,DEV=0             - bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 - Direct sample mixing device
      dsnoop:CARD=b1,DEV=0           - bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 - Direct sample snooping device
      hw:CARD=b1,DEV=0               - bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      plughw:CARD=b1,DEV=0           - bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 - Hardware device with all software conversions
      default:CARD=Headphones        - bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones - Default Audio Device
      sysdefault:CARD=Headphones     - bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones - Default Audio Device
      dmix:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0     - bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones - Direct sample mixing device
      dsnoop:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0   - bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones - Direct sample snooping device
      hw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0       - bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      plughw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0   - bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones - Hardware device with all software conversions
      default:CARD=Control           - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
      sysdefault:CARD=Control        - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
      front:CARD=Control,DEV=0       - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - Front speakers
      surround21:CARD=Control,DEV=0  - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
      surround40:CARD=Control,DEV=0  - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
      surround41:CARD=Control,DEV=0  - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
      surround50:CARD=Control,DEV=0  - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
      surround51:CARD=Control,DEV=0  - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
      surround71:CARD=Control,DEV=0  - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
      iec958:CARD=Control,DEV=0      - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
      dmix:CARD=Control,DEV=0        - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - Direct sample mixing device
      dsnoop:CARD=Control,DEV=0      - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - Direct sample snooping device
      hw:CARD=Control,DEV=0          - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - Direct hardware device without any conversions
      plughw:CARD=Control,DEV=0      - Khadas Tone Control, USB Audio - Hardware device with all software conversions

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt /etc/default/squeezelite
    E: Invalid operation /etc/default/squeezelite
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo nano  /etc/default/squeezelite
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite restart
    Restarting squeezelite (via systemctl): squeezelite.service.
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Code:
    # Defaults for squeezelite initscript
    # sourced by /etc/init.d/squeezelite
    # installed at /etc/default/squeezelite by the maintainer scripts

# The name for the squeezelite player:
    SL_NAME="$(hostname -s)"

# ALSA output device:
    SL_SOUNDCARD="hw:CARD=Control,DEV=0"

# Squeezebox server (Logitech Media Server):
    # Uncomment the next line if you want to point squeezelite at the IP address of
    # your squeezebox server. This is usually unnecessary as the server is
    # automatically discovered.
    #SB_SERVER_IP="192.168.x.y"

# Additional options to pass to squeezelite:
    # Please do not include -z to make squeezelite daemonise itself.
    #SB_EXTRA_ARGS=""
    ubuntu
    Player Model: SqueezeLite
    Player Type: squeezelite
    Firmware: v1.8
    Player IP Address: 192.168.1.104
    Player MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    If you would like to keep the pre-amp, there are also SPDIF Hats which would allow use of the higher resolution inputs on the dac

ronnie

Update Squeezelite

ubuntu

Player Model: SqueezeLite

Player Type: squeezelite

Firmware: v1.9.9-1392
    Player IP Address: 192.168.1.104

Player MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite stop
    wget -O squeezelite.tgz https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/squeezelite/linux/squeezelite-1.9.9.1392-armhf.tar.gz
    sudo tar -C /usr/bin -zxvf squeezelite.tgz
    sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/squeezelite
    sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite start

#If running with no sound, repeat
    sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite restart

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    @hafnpin

If you would like to keep the pre-amp, there are also SPDIF Hats which would allow use of the higher resolution inputs on the dac

ronnie
    I have just swapped the usb for a dac hat; the overlay is installed in

Code:
    sudo nano /boot/firmware/usercfg.txt
    ronnie

I switched back to the latest lite version of Raspbian and installed the latest version of SL and still am unable to play above 48k on the Emotiva PT-100.

I tried running the mmap commands but they are not there. Running alsamixer I do not see any additional settings. I looked into the USB DAC Ronnie recommended and purchased it. I looked at the DAC hats for the Pi and they don't seem to have as good specs for the $$. Thanks for everyone's help with this.