Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Preferred hardware?

Hi.

Having issues with my SB3 again, I suspect a bad PSU. So, while looking for a replacement PSU, I discovered that used Squeezeboxes are ... affordable. To the point that it is a tossup buying a complete (used) device or a new PSU. Almost.
    In terms of quality, features and functionality, what is the better hardware to get? The DACs are different between the various models, decoders are all software-based since 2005, Touch has more memory.

I do use LMS and I have a streaming service. Having a display and a remote control is of very little practical importance to me. (I do like the display on the SB3 and classic, but mostly from an aesthetical POV.) I use Ethernet for connectivity.

I would appreciate some qualified opinions from the present aficionados. Standing in my shoes, which original hardware would you get? (And let's pretend the Transporter isn't an option.)

Dag

I've only had a Duet and a Touch. Just taking into account the DAC/sound quality, I would'nt hesitate to drop the Duet/Receiver; Touch is much better.

If I had nothing then I would go for Radio because of its portability, screen, good sound (for size) ... but I have 2 (maybe 3 ... not sure).

But, in the real world, I already have 2 Boom, some SB2 and Receivers, Controller.

I really want a Transporter (for fun) ... but I have absolutely no desire to spend > 250GBP (and probably not > 100).

I don't have a Touch - and probably should get one for completeness but I have Jogglers and RPi with touchscreen.

Remember though - anything you buy probably has an old power supply (and battery if Radio) ... so you might end up with 2 devices that don't last much longer.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    I've only had a Duet and a Touch. Just taking into account the DAC/sound quality, I would'nt hesitate to drop the Duet/Receiver; Touch is much better.
    Noted. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    If I had nothing then I would go for Radio because of its portability, screen, good sound (for size) ... but I have 2 (maybe 3 ... not sure).

Remember though - anything you buy probably has an old power supply (and battery if Radio) ... so you might end up with 2 devices that don't last much longer.
    Pretty good point. I think this PSU is at least the second one to die for me.

Huh. If squeezelite-esp32 works with streaming services, I may ditch original hardware altogether....

I'd go with a TOUCH. But then again, why not just an rPi running piCorePlayer. Can be a player and an LMS server.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Alot of people are building their own with pi's, and others are buying other devices (polyvection, etc), but I still have a soft spot for the sb devices, and as you say, they have been affordable. I think feel they were just superbly designed and engineered (with the exception of a couple achillies heels).

I have been buying them up when I see a nice one cheap. I started with duets/receivers, then on to touch, boom, radios. I agree with Paul, the radio was last to own and most loved (for casual listening). The battery is a game changer. Didn't know I needed one until I had one. Heck, when you can get a radio around $50 USD why not. Often you can find some that have been barely used (dug out of closet)

I also agree @waldo, the receivers I have, most are in a box, but a couple still in use.

Since you run ethernet, a receiver would be fine, especially coupled with an outboard dac. The touch sounds good with it's dac, but better with a good outboard. I have found receivers to be sketchy on wifi (with non ideal signal). There is also alot of talk of the wifi failing on radios, although mine are all fine.

And like Paul said, your power supplies may need replacing.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Alot of people are building their own with pi's, and others are buying other devices (polyvection, etc), but I still have a soft spot for the sb devices, and as you say, they have been affordable. I think feel they were just superbly designed and engineered (with the exception of a couple achillies heels).

I have been buying them up when I see a nice one cheap. I started with duets/receivers, then on to touch, boom, radios. I agree with Paul, the radio was last to own and most loved (for casual listening). The battery is a game changer. Didn't know I needed one until I had one. Heck, when you can get a radio around $50 USD why not. Often you can find some that have been barely used (dug out of closet)

I also agree @waldo, the receivers I have, most are in a box, but a couple still in use.

Since you run ethernet, a receiver would be fine, especially coupled with an outboard dac. The touch sounds good with it's dac, but better with a good outboard. I have found receivers to be sketchy on wifi (with non ideal signal). There is also alot of talk of the wifi failing on radios, although mine are all fine.

And like Paul said, your power supplies may need replacing.

Jim
    Yup the Radio is the hardest to replace with a DIY project.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I have 5 SB radios and enjoy the convenience they provide. However, there is a problem with the internal WiFi being subject to interference with the wifi6 standard. The interference problem does not have to be your WiFi, but a neighbor using wifi6. Solutions are install wlanpoke or use a separate WiFi to Ethernet bridge to bypass the Radioĺs internal WiFi.

I have not had power supply problems on my 5 radios and touch. I am curious if the issue is different between Europeĺs use of 240 volts vs the US 120 volts.

If starting from scratch it depends if you are willing to build something yourself. For the DYI, the raspberry pi and picoreplayer with a DAC offers options. Polyvection dac32 looks interesting as a prebuilt option.

Paul