Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    You might be able to force logging ...
    1. Created logconf.lua and started Squeezeplay. It creates the 2 log files in %temp% but they are empty.

2. I changed the MAC address to my real wifi interface MAC in the SlimDiscovery.lua file, and the issue seems solved on the first player (on my laptop).

However I noticed that for the second player (the one running on a Win10 VM), I'm unsuccessful to connect to my local LMS. I'll investigate with the logs ;-)

Thank you Paul for the good support, now everything works well and I learned a bit about the internals of Squeezeplay.

Bruno
    Last edited by bkerouan; 2021-12-03 at 03:00.

Might show as zero size in file manager ... but try opening them.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by bkerouan View Post

[{"ext":{"mac":"00:00:00:00:99:01","uuid":"132eb15d 21c2d306e6628325758d9f6b","rev":"7.8.0 r1291"},"supportedConnectionTypes":["streaming"],"version":"1.0","channel":"\/meta\/handshake"}]HTTP/1.1 200 (OK)
    Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 14:46:04 GMT
    Server: SqueezeNetwork Jived/7.5.4 appj007.euw/611
    Content-Length: 264
    Did you edit this section? I'm asking because this is not a valid MAC address, so it would appear that you have some type of virtual switch running on your laptops - a virtualization platform (QEMU, Hyper-V, VMWare, ...) maybe? If so you should go into the settings of that virtualization application and see if you can change the internal MAC address. The recommended entry is to copy the MAC address of your actual network interface or wifi adapter but change the first two digits to `02` (i.e. if you have 56:78:90:ab:cd:ef change this to 02:78:90:ab:cd:ef). This indicates that the MAC address is locally administered, so it will never match any physical device.

Edit: Just noticed that I'm asking more or less the same question as Paul did. In any case the idea here is that virtualization platforms often create a virtual internal network to allow your virtual machines to communicate with the internet by using the host computer as a masquerading router. You can verify this by running `ipconfig /all` and locate the adapter with the weird 00:00:00:00:99:01 MAC address.

Oh, and another thought: does this MAC address actually show with the ipconfig command? Another possibility is that this is a preconfigured fall-back address within squeezeplay and it returns this address because your system denies the application access to this information (User Account Control). What edition of Windows 10 are you running? Education/Home/Pro/Enterprise - did you fiddle with policies?
    Last edited by gordonb3; 2021-12-03 at 10:53.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonb3 View Post
    Oh, and another thought: does this MAC address actually show with the ipconfig command? Another possibility is that this is a preconfigured fall-back address within squeezeplay and it returns this address because your system denies the application access to this information (User Account Control). What edition of Windows 10 are you running? Education/Home/Pro/Enterprise - did you fiddle with policies?
    My guess, as the capture was done on a physical (ie non virtualized) Microsoft Laptop Go running Win11 Preview, it's very probable the MAC address is a fallback one after being denied from getting the real one.

Quote Originally Posted by bkerouan View Post
    My guess, as the capture was done on a physical (ie non virtualized) Microsoft Laptop Go running Win11 Preview, it's very probable the MAC address is a fallback one after being denied from getting the real one.
    I agree that is likely, but could you still verify whether that MAC address is also shown when you run `ipconfig /all`?

Obviously, since someone beat you in registering this MAC address with mysqueezebox you are not the first to encounter this issue and it seems plausible that you will not be the last as well. Knowing the cause will help with future incidents and possibly allow creating a workaround to prevent it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonb3 View Post
    I agree that is likely, but could you still verify whether that MAC address is also shown when you run `ipconfig /all`?
    ipconfig /all returns the real MAC addresses of my network interfaces, not the one generated starting by 00-00-00 and seen on the Squeezeplay config file.

My guess is everything is done via this file
    Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\SqueezePlay\lua\applets\SetupSqueezebox\SetupSqueezeboxApplet.lua
    but I'm not sure.

I found a match for this address in the source. It is in fact in the exe and shamefully the function that returns this as a fall-back does not provide any logging. Either way it's good to know where it comes from.

Did Paul's hack into SlimDiscovery.lua works for you?

Edit:
    Seems like the hack won't work as the failing routine is called unconditionally during startup. I can't really test but I have a hunch that the routine returns your localhost IP (127.0.0.1) which does not lead to finding a MAC. Possible reasons for this is that your machine does not receive a fully qualified domain name, or maybe the machine's hosts file (%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) contains an entry mapping its name to 127.0.0.1.
    Last edited by gordonb3; 2021-12-05 at 06:22.