Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Ok, I found a bug. Will release a fix later tonight.
    Not sure if it applies in your case but: if you use multiple genre values for tracks (one track = genre Pop and Rock) or if album tracks don't have the same genre, your dynamic playlist will still select them. And the unlimited option was necessary before. You did nothing wrong here. I will look at both, the unlimited option and excluding genres to see if I can improve them. Just not today, probably over the weekend. Meanwhile, maybe you can dl the new version tomorrow and let me know if and how the fixed bug affects the issues you reported.
    For bug reports, FAQ (if available) and more detailed information about my plugins, please see the GitHub page or the first post in the support thread for a plugin. Please post bug reports for my plugins only on GitHub. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
    Ok, I found a bug. Will release a fix later tonight.
    Not sure if it applies in your case but: if you use multiple genre values for tracks (one track = genre Pop and Rock) or if album tracks don't have the same genre, your dynamic playlist will still select them.
    I hadn't previously found that to be the case, possibly because my SQL (which I think was adapted from code you supplied) includes "and not exists" to weed out any tracks in GENRE_TRACK that have an unwanted genre. But obviously other stuff goes on behind the scenes, so maybe I've just been lucky so far.

That aside, at least some of the unwanted tracks I've been getting really do have only one genre.

And the unlimited option was necessary before. You did nothing wrong here. I will look at both, the unlimited option and excluding genres to see if I can improve them. Just not today, probably over the weekend. Meanwhile, maybe you can dl the new version tomorrow and let me know if and how the fixed bug affects the issues you reported.
    My setup is still going through the very long playlist that it created, so it hasn't added anything new to the end yet, but probably will tonight. But I'm taking that as a good sign! So I can say that it's apparently no longer building a huge playlist but can't yet verify that it's no longer intermittently selecting just individual tracks rather than entire albums.

Sorry I took two days to get back to you after you were so fast!

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    intermittently selecting just individual tracks rather than entire albums
    The important pref value in your case is the min number of unplayed songs. If the number of unplayed tracks in your client's playlist < min, then DPL3 will add new tracks, so that the remaining unplayed tracks in your client's playlist + the added unplayed tracks = max. number of unplayed songs in your playlist.
    For album dynamic playlists, there's the unlimited option so the max pref value won't split albums in the middle. Then album dynamic playlists should add 1 (or whatever album limit your SLQite code has) entire album. So if you use the unlimted option in your dynamic playlist, it will effectively disable the "max number of unplayed songs" for this playlist.
    But there are corner cases I suppose. Example: your min number of unplayed tracks = 4, DPL selects an EP or CD single with only 3 tracks (both considered 'albums"). That's below the min number of unplayed tracks, so it will add another album until the number of unplayed tracks in your client's playlist >= min. number of unplayed tracks. Anyway, that's the idea behind all of this. Thought you might be interested in how this works.

BTW if a track's play count is null, its lastplayed value should be null too. You only need:
    ifnull(tracks_persistent.playCount, 0) = 0
    For bug reports, FAQ (if available) and more detailed information about my plugins, please see the GitHub page or the first post in the support thread for a plugin. Please post bug reports for my plugins only on GitHub. Thank you.

IMPORTANT: dropping legacy file extension

If you have created your own custom dynamic playlists, please make sure their file names have the correct extension: .sql

The legacy extension .xml.sql will no longer be supported starting with DPL v3.6.10.

Just remove the .xml part so that the file extension is only ".sql". That's it. Thanks for your understanding.

P.S. This only affects custom dynamic playlists that you have created yourself and whose files you have saved in the DPL-custom-lists folder. Not dynamic playlists provided by other plugins (e.g. SQLPlayList).
    Last edited by AF1; 2022-09-24 at 10:24.

For album dynamic playlists, there's the unlimited option so the max pref value won't split albums in the middle. Then album dynamic playlists should add 1 (or whatever album limit your SLQite code has) entire album. So if you use the unlimted option in your dynamic playlist, it will effectively disable the "max number of unplayed songs" for this playlist.
    Perfect, exactly what I want. And new albums finally did get added last night (about 150 tracks), though once again after properly adding several complete albums, it then put a bunch of random single tracks down at the end:
    Name:  Screenshot_20220924-013840.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  190.5 KB

But there are corner cases I suppose. Example: your min number of unplayed tracks = 4, DPL selects an EP or CD single with only 3 tracks (both considered 'albums"). That's below the min number of unplayed tracks, so it will add another album until the number of unplayed tracks in your client's playlist >= min. number of unplayed tracks. Anyway, that's the idea behind all of this. Thought you might be interested in how this works.
    I definitely am interested and your explanation makes perfect sense, thank you!
    BTW if a track's play count is null, its lastplayed value should be null too. You only need:
    ifnull(tracks_persistent.playCount, 0) = 0
    I was tracking that for a couple years back when still using Erland's plugin and there were always inconsistencies. I had tracks with a lastplayed value and no count and vice versa. When you rewrote the plugin, I imported the old data so that I wouldn't have to start again from the top (my goal is to eventually play *everything*) and that included the odd inconsistencies that came from who-knows-where.

Perfect, exactly what I want. And new albums finally did get added last night (about 150 tracks), though once again after properly adding several complete albums, it then put a bunch of random single tracks down at the end:
    Are you already using the lastest version of DPL3, 3.6.9 or 3.6.10 (which should be available later tonight)?
    I'm asking because you said that new albums (plural) = 150 tracks were added. Your SQLite statement (like the built-in dynamic playlists) should only add 1 album at a time (unless no of tracks in album < min. number of unplayed tracks as explained).
    After updating to the latest DPL3 version you could clear your client playlist and restart your dynamic playlist. In my tests with the built-in album playlists no single tracks were added.

When you rewrote the plugin, I imported the old data
    Switching from the old DPL to DPL3 is no reason to nuke your LMS installation or delete all of your databse tables. Apart from a temporary database table (to prevent repeating tracks already played in a session) DPL3 has no database tables.

the odd inconsistencies that came from who-knows-where.
    Depending on the kind of the inconsistencies in your database, dynamic playlists may show different results for you than for users without these inconsistencies. That's not a catastrophe but not good either. A rescan (clear) can wipe/clear the library.db and repopulate it with the correct current data. The most important values in the persist.db are ratings, play counts, date last played and date added. Those are not affected by a rescan. Maybe get rid of the inconsistencies there, do a restart and then a rescan (clear). As always, make a copy of library.db and persist.db before you start working on them. Good luck.

Are you already using the lastest version of DPL3, 3.6.9 or 3.6.10 (which should be available later tonight)?
    I'm asking because you said that new albums (plural) = 150 tracks were added. Your SQLite statement (like the built-in dynamic playlists) should only add 1 album at a time (unless no of tracks in album < min. number of unplayed tracks as explained).
    After updating to the latest DPL3 version you could clear your client playlist and restart your dynamic playlist. In my tests with the built-in album playlists no single tracks were added.
    I definitely am using 3.6.10 now and the behavior I saw last night seemed exactly right. I didn't see it add any odd tracks and what's out there right now waiting for me to go to bed tonight is the remains of a large single album. So it looks like it's back to working the way it did before, which is also perfect for what I need. Thank you!

Switching from the old DPL to DPL3 is no reason to nuke your LMS installation or delete all of your databse tables. Apart from a temporary database table (to prevent repeating tracks already played in a session) DPL3 has no database tables.
    I can no longer remember the exact details, but when the new DPL3 came along I was getting the impression that already-played albums were playing again. Pre-retirement, my primary job function was in a billing audit center writing code to catch weird little exceptions. So I looked into the old DPL tables as well as the regular LMS ones and discovered discrepancies between last played dates and whether the track had been played at all. I have no idea how it happened, but I figured that making my query check both last played and the play count would ultimately get me where I want to go.

Depending on the kind of the inconsistencies in your database, dynamic playlists may show different results for you than for users without these inconsistencies. That's not a catastrophe but not good either. A rescan (clear) can wipe/clear the library.db and repopulate it with the correct current data. The most important values in the persist.db are ratings, play counts, date last played and date added. Those are not affected by a rescan. Maybe get rid of the inconsistencies there, do a restart and then a rescan (clear). As always, make a copy of library.db and persist.db before you start working on them. Good luck.
    For now, I'm pretty happy with how it's working. At some point in the distant future I'll finally run out of stuff to play, at which point I'll finally do a full rescan, which will then pick up all the stuff I've added since the last rescan.

To give you an idea of how desperately nerdy I am about this, I get a report emailed to me every morning at 8:30:

Code:
    This script is: /mnt/WD8TBNAS03/Documents/ShellScripts/TrackStat-new.py

1448 Unplayed Albums

Unplayed Tracks:   8,090
    Played Tracks:    95,712

Oldest and most recently played tracks:
    2017-02-03 21:40:22
    file:///mnt/WD6TBNAS01/Squeezebox%20Music/NotDTS/Hair/Hair%20Broadway%20Deluxe/D1-T01%20-%20Aquarius.flac
    2022-09-25 05:02:48
    file:///mnt/WD6TBNAS01/Squeezebox%20Music/NotDTS/Various%20Artists/The%20Complete%20Motown%20Singles%20Collection%20Volume%2006/D1-T06-This%20Old%20Heart%20Of%20Mine%20(Is%20Weak%20For%20You)%20(Alternate%20Mix).flac

ID|Album Title|Total Tracks|Unplayed Tracks
    194|(What's the Story) Morning Glory? [DSD stereo]|12|10
    2649|1 [2015 remix]|27|25
    4335|1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours|19|16
    4161|10|16|11
    6829|12 X 5 [2002 DSD remaster]|12|3
    7481|12 x 12 Original Remixes|12|11
    7465|12x12 Original Remixes|12|7
    2653|1967-1970 [2010 reissue]|28|25
    7851|1968-05-09 - Fillmore Soundboard [sector boundary errors]|10|9
    8777|1969: Velvet Underground Live|19|15
    6161|1970-12-22 - Disgusting, Hardly Music|8|7
    5292|1971-1979 Demos|28|25
    6226|1972-12-09 - In a Neutral Land [Revision 1]|14|13
    6796|1972-12-09 - Orchestral Tommy Live at the Rainbow|26|20
    6237|1973-06-29 - Vaulting Ambition|16|15
    7369|1974-03-20 - Live at the Record Plant|10|8
    That last list goes on forever, but you get the idea. Every morning I compare the current report to the prior to see how many albums and tracks are left to go.

You get a pretty good idea of how out of whack the data is just from the little bit above. You can see almost everything is showing as partly played, which probably means that somehow or other some of the tracks lost their play status. It's very, very unlikely that so many albums were aborted before finishing, but I have no idea how it all got so jumbled.

I am an *idiot*!

The reason I was getting genres I thought I'd excluded is because I was updating a different Dynamic Playlist from what I was actually playing.

Glad it's working for you now.
    BTW have you considered getting rid of those inconsistencies using SQL (code/commands)? And you could add stuff to your library, rescan and include a condition in your SQLite statement(s) that filters for date added, i.e. only play tracks added before a specific date. Just a thought.

Favourites stopped working

I am a very long term user of Squeezebox. I continue to use playlists using my own on-board flac collection. I had no problems moving over to DL3 but suddenly most of my Favourites are not working

This one works: dynamicplaylist://sqlplaylist_randomRock

Those of this type no longer work: dynamicplaylist://dplusercustom_HarryNilssonMix

I have not been tinkering in this area for a long time so can only think that I've missed something with plugin updates. I have a lot on my plate in other areas right now and just want my music to help me relax and not to add to problems.

If anyone can shed light on what may have changed and what is the easiest way to get back my favourites I would be most grateful. I suspect some folder changes but I can no longer remember where all this stuff is (Ubuntu 20.4 server LMS latest 8.3

Thanks