Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @Zoltan

If you decide for a raspberry pi I suggest you make your purchase by a "recommended reseller"

They can be found via this portal

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products

This way you should not be gouged by the current restricted availability of some product, also, you should receive good support in the event of product failure

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    @Zoltan
    If you decide for a raspberry pi I suggest you make your purchase by a "recommended reseller"
    Thanks for the tip. As it happens I thought I was all set last night (got a surprise to see all the extra comments tonight) so I had already gone ahead and ordered. It was from the Pi Hut, though, which is one of the recommended resellers.

Got to confess that I ordered the case from the evil empire as I had an unused gift voucher sitting there. The Argon ONE did look quite nice, but I decided to order an Argon NEO in the end as I don't think I need the extra features and I found a couple of positive write-ups of the NEO.

Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    Is there a specific reason you want a Raspberry Pi? Do you have a lot of local music files? Where will they be stored?

Just driving by to plug the Wyse 3040, which is an Intel Atom based 4"x4" thin client that I'm sure will run pretty much any x86_64 Linux distro.

I mean for $50 shipped (depending on where you are located) you get a case, power supply, 8GB of onboard storage, 2GB of RAM and USB ports:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14424842887...0AAOSwnPtggtV0

The one above even includes onboard wifi, which they all don't. Depends on what you need.

If you need to swap in more onboard storage or need more horsepower, go with the Wyse 5070.

Both are passively cooled, complete solutions with case and PSU and give you a lot of flexibility beyond LMS. Just a suggestion!
    Thanks, I hadn't come across this before. It does look like a good solution, but I had already taken the plunge in ordering the bits before I saw this. I suppose I was pretty set on the Raspberry Pi route as I am somewhat familiar with it, I know that it's very easy to set up, and there is good community support for it.

You asked about files. I have a reasonably sizeable collection (region of 2000 albums ripped to FLAC) and they are stored on a NAS. I NFS mounted the music directories from the NAS on the Odroid and expect I'll do the same with the Pi.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    Thanks, I hadn't come across this before. It does look like a good solution, but I had already taken the plunge in ordering the bits before I saw this. I suppose I was pretty set on the Raspberry Pi route as I am somewhat familiar with it, I know that it's very easy to set up, and there is good community support for it.

You asked about files. I have a reasonably sizeable collection (region of 2000 albums ripped to FLAC) and they are stored on a NAS. I NFS mounted the music directories from the NAS on the Odroid and expect I'll do the same with the Pi.
    You were lucky your Odroid U3 lasted so long, mine failed after a year or so. I think an onboard protection circuit operated and killed the power to the board. I could probably have got it working again by shorting a couple of pins on the board but I also bought a Pi to replace it

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    You were lucky your Odroid U3 lasted so long, mine failed after a year or so. I think an onboard protection circuit operated and killed the power to the board. I could probably have got it working again by shorting a couple of pins on the board but I also bought a Pi to replace it

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I can't complain - it's mainly just being sitting there doing its job for the last 7 years. It hasn't even completely failed. I noticed the other day that all my devices couldn't connect to LMS and started looking into it. I could ping the Odroid and log in to it but as I typed commands to start looking at processes, logs, etc., it would kind of grind to a halt and my Putty session would eventually time out. I couldn't see any runaway processes or full filesytems or anything obvious. It might just be that I need a new emmc card but I'm not even sure what the right type is and they aren't especially cheap. It feels like the right time to make a change anyway.

Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I am now up and running with a Pi 4 in an Argon NEO case.

Quote Originally Posted by cramcram View Post
    For LMS server actually max2play is still a fine option imho. I personally think the max2play configuration web interface is better than the picoreplayer ...
    I did actually stick with max2play in the end. I had originally started to use it years ago as it was the only real (non-DIY) option for the Odroid, but I realised that I had become quite used to the web interface and there didn't seem to be a compelling reason not to stay with it.