Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by agbagb View Post
    Questions. If you have those button streams programmed (good!) and streaming and you then stream something to it from LMS via, eg, Airplay, what happens? Does the LMS first have to positively connect to the device, and thus override the locally playing stream?
    Just tried it and last one wins.
    I booted it up and started playing preset 2 (tapped twice on the heart).
    Left it running for around 30 secs and then picked a different station via LMS favourites and sent it to the LMS device representing the Airplay portion of the device and it took over the device.

And what happens if then you press a device-based stream button? Does that simply override the incoming LMS data? Or is a a question of menu-selection to switch the device from one source to another? (If that all makes sense - it's "ease of use" for non-experts that's a big issue here....)
    Tried that as well ... while LMS was playing to it via Airplay, I hit the heart once and it switched back to the last favourite that it was playing (favourite number 2). There is a small set of dots on the touch display that shows you which favourite you have currently selected.
    Press once for the last one (since boot or 1) tap again for 2, again for 3 etc and then at 5 it cycles back around to 1.
    The device has a web interface but it is (officially at least) only for device initial set-up for people who do not have a mobile phone that works with their app. However, you need the app to manage the favourites on the device (although I expect someone could reverse engineer the interface).
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

@cpd73

Perfect sense - thanks. That sounds close to what I'm looking for .....
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10
    Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Livebox 4
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), LAN Desktop
    3 x Touch - 1 wireless, 2 LAN. (8.0.1-r16855)
    2 x SB Radios [wireless] (8.0.1-r16855)
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox
    External SSD, WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:7.8.0-r16754)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (7.7.3-r16676)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Just tried it and last one wins. .....

The device has a web interface but it is (officially at least) only for device initial set-up for people who do not have a mobile phone that works with their app. However, you need the app to manage the favourites on the device (although I expect someone could reverse engineer the interface).
    Thanks again. That sounds very promising, and the initail set-up of the presets via an app is not an issue for family use - they basically just play the same 2 or 3 BBC radio streams all the time.

Cheers.
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10

a) Livebox 4
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox

All the above said, purely for visual appeal, good battery, physical size and input options I'm looking at the AudioPro AddOn C3: https://www.audiopro.com/en/product/addon-c3/#black (say's it's out-of-stock, but I'm seeing availability here in France....).

Local buttons are on top, just in front of the handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10

a) Livebox 4
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox

Just had to remind myself how favourites are managed ... because I could not see how to examine the URL to see what it was using for BBC stations.

Answer ... they have a TuneIn like service (I don't think it is TuneIn ... based on a few stations that I searched for that I know are in TuneIn) so you find the stations in there (via the app) and then play them and set as a favourite if wanted.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Just had to remind myself how favourites are managed ... because I could not see how to examine the URL to see what it was using for BBC stations.

Answer ... they have a TuneIn like service (I don't think it is TuneIn ... based on a few stations that I searched for that I know are in TuneIn) so you find the stations in there (via the app) and then play them and set as a favourite if wanted.
    And if only the assorted possible device options had a screen....... Got to love the SB world really - wonderful design that hit so many user and expert targets, so well!
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10

a) Livebox 4
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox

And now I'm pondering how to re-purpose an older, spare (SIM-less) smartphone as a screen for my "kitchen radio" .... A small stand; buy a device that has USB charging volts out; simplify the apps on the homescreen - Device app, Material Skin for LMS, maybe the Homepages of the local-preset-activated streams, for program info......... So much to try, so little time (and money!) to try it!
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10

a) Livebox 4
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox

If you want a screen then an Amazon Echo Show combined with the MediaServer Alexa skill will allow you to play music sourced from LMS via the Echo. You can then also play stuff like TuneIn or Spotify without involving LMS at all. And you get the advantage of being able to use it for all other Alexa tasks like viewing recipes (handy in the kitchen). Might be worth considering if you can forego the pushbutton favorite-selection you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    If you want a screen then an Amazon Echo Show combined with the MediaServer Alexa skill will allow you to play music sourced from LMS via the Echo. You can then also play stuff like TuneIn or Spotify without involving LMS at all. And you get the advantage of being able to use it for all other Alexa tasks like viewing recipes (handy in the kitchen). Might be worth considering if you can forego the pushbutton favorite-selection you mentioned.

That's a nice looking unit..... For me, it does some things I don't want particularly (camera, the "Amazon World", at least on a device..), and doesn't (I think...) do some things I do need (battery, really good audio, 3.5mm audio in....).

Interesting at the moment with huge improvements in the design and audio quality of very small-package speakers, that if Logitech suddenly designed a modern replacement something slightly between Radio and Boom, it would be a fabulous thing........
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10

a) Livebox 4
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox

Don't get too exited - Photoshop.

If only ...

Name:  Radio Boom.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  61.6 KB
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/Pi screen/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DAC HAT > Edifier
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Rpi4/pCP/AP mode > Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32