Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SB3 not seeing 2.4GHz SSIDs

Hi - I live in central London and there are quite a few routers in range. I have two routers, both running 2.4 and 5GHz signals on 4 different SSIDs. My SB3 doesn't see any of them! Obviously I don't expect it to see the 5GHz signals.
    - if i manually type in the SSID into the SB3 then it connects, but it still doesn't add it to the list of available WiFi SSIDs
    - all routers are on WPA2 only
    - my Samsung S10 phone sees all 4 of them.
    - I am using an old BT Homehub 5 router, and a new Nokia router
    - the SB3 is in range!

Any idea why my SB3 isn't seeing these SSIDs? I have used wired connections up to now so I haven't noticed the problem before.
    SB3 -> Quad 909 -> Quad Electrostatic speakers, Quad 405 -> TBI subwoofer
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4
    Rotel RSP1068 surround processor, Quad 707 -> B&W surround

My first thought was that maybe you have them configured as "hidden" in your router.

Can they be seen by any devices that have never connected before?
    For example - a friend's phone.
    Do the 5GHz and 2.4GHz SSIDs have different names? If not - then that could be why the Samsung device lists it.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    My first thought was that maybe you have them configured as "hidden" in your router.

Can they be seen by any devices that have never connected before?
    For example - a friend's phone.
    Do the 5GHz and 2.4GHz SSIDs have different names? If not - then that could be why the Samsung device lists it.
    All 4 SSIDs have different names, and other devices do see them so they are not hidden. I am just wondering if it is something to do with the SB3 being 20 years old, but even that seems odd. The router is set to 802.11 b/g/n 144Mbit/s which is meant to be compatible with all 2.4GHz devices.
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4

Any difference if you temporarily move your SB3 to be much closer to the router?
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by rbl View Post
    All 4 SSIDs have different names, and other devices do see them so they are not hidden. I am just wondering if it is something to do with the SB3 being 20 years old, but even that seems odd. The router is set to 802.11 b/g/n 144Mbit/s which is meant to be compatible with all 2.4GHz devices.
    I think SSIDS with odd characters may cause problems - just alphanumeric and no spaces etc.

Turn off any 40MHz channel bonding.

For testing, fix the channel and make sure the channels is either 1,6 or 11 - IIRC SB3 may have had "problems" with channel 13

edit:
    Also make sure SSID is not maximum length - 32 octets not 32 characters
    Last edited by bpa; 2021-11-28 at 03:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Any difference if you temporarily move your SB3 to be much closer to the router?
    It's currently 10 feet away with no walls in between. It's picking up the WiFi from a neighbouring flat. Very odd!
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post

For testing, fix the channel and make sure the channels is either 1,6 or 11 - IIRC SB3 may have had "problems" with channel 13
    Aha! Both my routers had auto selected Channel 13. I switched them to 11 and suddenly the SB3 can see them. I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years so thank you very much!

Worth mentioning, that once connected I can switch the router to Channel 13 and the SB3 continues to play.
    Last edited by rbl; 2021-11-28 at 06:34.
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4