Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tidal Hifi Plus = bitrate

Hi

First off, I am new to Tidal. I've had Squeezeboxes for ever (including the one where I purchased a screen upgrade module), and have used Spotify for a few years.

With the new Tidal plans, I am trying to decide whether to opt for Hifi or Hifi Plus. I am very pleased with the way the Tidal plugin is working, and this is the only bit I still have left to decide.

I am running the latest nightly (8.3) on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I am testing using a Squeezebox Classic

Player Model: Squeezebox Classic
    Player Type: squeezebox2
    Firmware: 137

I am playing the new Abba Voyage album, listed as "Master" quality.

The highest bitrate I have seen displayed in LMS is 995kbps, for any of the tracks on the album. This is well within the bitrate offered by Hifi (upto 1411kbps) even though I am currently (still inside my 7 day trial) subscribed to Hifi Plus.

I am misreading the offering from Tidal, or the capabilities of my setup, or the way the info is represented, or something else?

Many thanks

Jim

I was on Tidal Hifi Plus but don't want QMA so I downgraded to HiFi.

This stoped my plugin to work, giving the message: You must be a Premium Access subscriber to use TIDAL from this device.

So maybe one need to have HoFi Plus in order for it to work...??

Just found out 1 minute ago...

//

Interesting I will find out tomorrow when my subscription downgrades.

Playing Tidal HiFi right now via LMS->squeezelite. Not Plus.

Great deal with the military discount.
    piTouchÖ w/JustBoom DigiHat -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> JBL 305P MkII monitors; LMS 8.2 on piCorePlayer/Pi 4; Material Skin.

What's a military discount?

How about a discount for human beings?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    What's a military discount?
    Active duty or veteran like me, just have to upload proof. There's also a student discount.
    piTouchÖ w/JustBoom DigiHat -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> JBL 305P MkII monitors; LMS 8.2 on piCorePlayer/Pi 4; Material Skin.

Quote Originally Posted by jonte0 View Post
    I was on Tidal Hifi Plus but don't want MQA so I downgraded to HiFi.
    This stopped my plugin to work, giving the message: You must be a Premium Access subscriber to use TIDAL from this device.
    So maybe one need to have HiFi Plus in order for it to work...??
    After you have changed your subscription at TIDAL (upgrade or downgrade), I expect you will need to reregister the TIDAL app at www.mysqueezebox.com.
    This involves removing your current TIDAL account and then adding your account again. After clicking "Log in" you will be redirected to login.tidal.com, and the TIDAL app will be re-registered at your changed account at Tidal. When you have done this I expect that TIDAL will work again for you.

FYI I have the 10 dollar per month HiFi account (earlier called Premium account), and TIDAL works fine on my Squeezebox players.
    | LMS 8.3.0 | Squeezebox Boom | RPi0W + pCP 8.1.0 + HiFiBerry DAC | SqueezeAMP | ESP Muse Luxe |

Quote Originally Posted by jonte0 View Post
    I was on Tidal Hifi Plus but don't want QMA so I downgraded to HiFi.
    I doubt whether the Tidal Hifi plan is using other source material than the Hifi Plus plan. So the chances are big that with 'Tidal Hifi' you are still not listening to pristine lossless audio, but to source material with MQA but without any of the claimed extra MQA-decoding. If you are looking for real lossless audio streaming I don't think you can take Tidal seriously anymore.
    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.2.0 on Xubuntu 21.10

Quote Originally Posted by CJS View Post
    After you have changed your subscription at TIDAL (upgrade or downgrade), I expect you will need to reregister the TIDAL app at www.mysqueezebox.com.
    This involves removing your current TIDAL account and then adding your account again. After clicking "Log in" you will be redirected to login.tidal.com, and the TIDAL app will be re-registered at your changed account at Tidal. When you have done this I expect that TIDAL will work again for you.

FYI I have the 10 dollar per month HiFi account (earlier called Premium account), and TIDAL works fine on my Squeezebox players.
    Thanks, that was exactly it. Remove and re-add at mysqueezebox.com.

Would it be safe to say that if you don't have a MQA dac then Hifi Plus isn't any better than Hifi?