Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrSums
    • Jan 2007

SB Radio rebuffering

A short while ago, I decided to set up a separate LMS instance on a RaspPi, rather than run it through my (linux) desktop as I had historically. Unfortunately I also made some network changes at the same time, and after the current problems became apparent, I have been putting things back to original in the hope I can identify the problem. No luck.

I have a number of SB Radios, including a practically new one I found on ebay. I have set up a Raspberry Pi with HifiBerry DAC, connected to my stereo system and have an SB Radio in the kitchen. Every short while (30 mins or so), whilst streaming radio off internet, the radio falls silent "rebuffering", and continues after 30 seconds or so. In order to strip back to basics, I've taken the following steps:
    • Removed the Hifiberry DAC, so RaspPi now runs LMS standalone
    • Moved Rasp~Pi to connect (wired) direct to router
    • Swapped out Max2Play for PiCorePlayer

I think Max2Play was causing connectivity problems with the SB Radios, and swapping to PCP seems to have cured that. But no cure yet for the rebuffering

RaspPi running PCP 8.0 and LMS 8.2 - radios are patched as required > 7.7.3

Any help gratefully accepted as this system's been working for many years brilliantly before I tried to "upgrade" it

Thanks

Robert
  • P Nelson
    • Nov 2012

A couple of things to try to identify source or eliminate possibilities:

1-Does the buffering problem go away if you connect the Radio via ethernet as opposed to Wifi?
    2-Does the buffering problem occur or go away if you stream music from your own music library?
    3-Does the buffering problem occur with all internet radio streams? Try other internet stream sources, or quality streams.

Good luck.

Comment

• MrSums
      • Jan 2007

Thanks for response. I spent the whole of yesterday trying out various options:
      • To confirm, the RaspPi/LMS is ethernet connected direct into router
      • No improvement if I change Radio to ethernet, rather than wireless
      • No improvement if I change to mysqueezebox.com
      • Only seems to impact streaming radio - I ran random playlist from my library for several hours with no problem whatsoever
      • Seems to impact all the radio stations I typically listen to

Frustrating...

Comment

• Man in a van
        • Jan 2011

A server log (when rebuffering occurs) might help.

When the Radio resumes, does it pick up where the failure occurs or further into the playback ?

You say the Radios are patched > 7.3.3, would you please care to explain the steps taken

As this effects all Radios it would seem to indicate a Network problem (I'm guessing here )

Can you paste some of the station urls you are using, that have the problem.

Thanks

ronnie

Comment

• P Nelson
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by MrSums
          Thanks for response. I spent the whole of yesterday trying out various options:
          • To confirm, the RaspPi/LMS is ethernet connected direct into router
          • No improvement if I change Radio to ethernet, rather than wireless
          • No improvement if I change to mysqueezebox.com
          • Only seems to impact streaming radio - I ran random playlist from my library for several hours with no problem whatsoever
          • Seems to impact all the radio stations I typically listen to

Frustrating...
          In addition to Ronnie's suggestions....

Since the problem remains when both the Pi/LMS and the Radio are connected via ethernet, and when only internet streaming, you might want to check the connection to the internet service provider (ISP). Do a speedtest or call the ISP to do a line quality test.

Comment

• Redrum
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Man in a van

As this effects all Radios it would seem to indicate a Network problem (I'm guessing here )
            I composed some thoughts yesterday, but apparently hitting "submit" eluded me

You mentioned that at the same time that this started occurring, you made some network changes, did this perhaps include your router and/or your ISP provider, network switches, etc?

Since you can stream your library, on all your players, either wireless or ethernet, but the same cannot be said for internet radio stations, mysb.com (and I assume services like Pandora, Tidal, etc), it does sound like it's your connection to the internet (as @P Nelson also suggests). Seems like the LAN side of your router is ok. Since you made network changes, this is the first place to look.

You could also build a test system, to eliminate some of the variables, install LMS on a Mac/PC, connect a radio, how does it behave? I have not done this, but can you connect the test system/LMS to your cell phone's service (hot spot/tether) to remove your isp/router from the equation?

Sometimes rather than trying to untangle a mess, I like to start from the basics and build from there, even if it's just a test system.

oh, one last thought, are the players synchronized?

Jim

Comment

• MrSums
              • Jan 2007

Thanks again, but no joy so far:

I've just checked my modem logs and it "might" be an issue. I'm going to go quiet for a day or so whilst I check it out - I should have 150+Mbps, but am not getting better than a third of that at present.

Cheers

Robert

Comment

• garym
                • May 2008

Originally posted by MrSums
                Thanks again, but no joy so far:

I've just checked my modem logs and it "might" be an issue. I'm going to go quiet for a day or so whilst I check it out - I should have 150+Mbps, but am not getting better than a third of that at present.

Cheers

Robert
                50Mbps should be more than enough in any case. Actually even 5Mbps should work in most cases.
                Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Redrum
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by garym
                  50Mbps should be more than enough in any case. Actually even 5Mbps should work in most cases.

I agree. In the early years I ran sb radio stations (say 128kbps - 192kbps) on crappy 3MB down/500k up DSL. It's the interruption of service thats probably causing the rebuffering. Look at your data rate over time. Perhaps there is a program for your linux desktop you could run.

Jim

Comment

• MrSums
                    • Jan 2007

Thanks for the help guys. It appears it is NOT LMS/SB related as I connected my Marantz to internet radio and find I'm getting the exact same problem.

So yes, it seems it is provider-related, even though I get 200+ Mbps download as solid as a rock. I'll have to go to the provider forums and check. If I get a resolution, I'll come back and post

Cheers

Robert

Comment

• Redrum
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Man in a van
                      A server log (when rebuffering occurs) might help.

When the Radio resumes, does it pick up where the failure occurs or further into the playback ?

You say the Radios are patched > 7.3.3, would you please care to explain the steps taken

Can you paste some of the station urls you are using, that have the problem.

Thanks

ronnie
                      Ronnie had mentioned a server log (captured during rebuffering) to help identify what is going on. I don't have much experience in this area, but Ronnie and many others do. Perhaps they can suggest a setup, and I'd be curious to learn something (what they suggest) if it helps lead to your resolution. From the LMS settings UI, advanced tab:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-11-27 08_15_18-Window.png
Views:	1
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1573724
                      Not sure what they would suggest to select, "Internet Radio" maybe? Also, there are advanced log settings that might be helpful. You can see/set where the log file is stored from this page.

You mentioned going to the forum for your ISP. Maybe a LMS log can give you some good info to present there.

Jim

Comment

• MrSums
                        • Jan 2007

Solved I think.
                        1. Rebooted into Max2Play and then downgraded the server to 9.2.
                        2. Installed Patch server and installed version patch to all radios
                        3. Changed VirginMedia box into modem mode
                        4. Set all SB Radios to fixed IP addresses and set to high priority on Deco mesh system

So far last 48 hours has been solid as a rock. I might also set the LMS server to reboot regularly overnight, just as an extra.

Thanks for all the help guys

Robert

Comment

Working...