Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

how to add latency to LMS

yes, i know it is a strange question, but the point is that i use LMS to stream my turntable to a streamer from which i listen with headphones. this means i drop the stylus and go back to the place where i have my streamer....
    my system already has a pretty long latency of around 3-4 seconds, but is there a way to make it even longer? some sort of buffer or something?

thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by RPlanto View Post
    yes, i know it is a strange question, but the point is that i use LMS to stream my turntable to a streamer from which i listen with headphones. this means i drop the stylus and go back to the place where i have my streamer....
    my system already has a pretty long latency of around 3-4 seconds, but is there a way to make it even longer? some sort of buffer or something?

thank you for your help.
    You can try "Audio Startup Time" in players audio settings. I haven't used it myself so not sure if this will help you. Have a go..

There is also sync delay you can perhaps use..
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

thank you for your help.
    system details needed, PCP, Windows, Linux., MacOS, ???
    What are you using to stream the turntable ? Waveinput, pcp HTTp facity .,other ?

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    system details needed, PCP, Windows, Linux., MacOS, ???
    What are you using to stream the turntable ? Waveinput, pcp HTTp facity .,other ?
    so i am using a behringer soundcard attached to a raspberry pi running PiCorePlayer/LMS, LMS capturing the audio via Waveinput and streaming it to another pi running MoodeAudio via UPNP (i added the upnp plugin to the LMS)

@Jaca: not sure if moode has that option but i'll try to find out
    Last edited by RPlanto; 2021-11-19 at 04:53.

so i am using a behringer soundcard attached to a raspberry pi running PiCorePlayer/LMS, LMS capturing the audio via Waveinput and streaming it to another pi running MoodeAudio via UPNP (i added the upnp plugin to the LMS)

@Jaca: not sure if moode has that option but i'll try to find out

Whole Latency is mainly made up of 3 components.

1.Waveinput uses a "arecord" to collect data and then passes to Flac. Flac will buffer data in order to compress.
    2. LMS will have a latency depending on the player setting which often uses LMS/Settings/Network radio Station buffer seconds
    3. The Moodeaudio will also have a buffer and so add a delay before playing the audio it receives.

* Simplest would be to increase LMS setting and see if it helps. However this will affect ALL streaming and delay for playing any Internet radio stations.
    * You could check out whether you can increase buffer size in Moode and/or the LMS UPNP player for the Moode - again this will affect all Moode usages.
    * Waveinput specific. Assuming waveinput is not being used for other sources. The easiest thing to change might be the waveinput audio processing. This is all done in the custom-convert.conf file of the plugin. There is no buffer control in arecord but there is in other application such as ecasound or ffmpeg - not sure what is available in PCP. You could change waveinput processing to use ecasound and then increase buffer size to suit. There is a PCP issue - I don't know how you can save plugin specific changes to make them persistent.

The supplied version has
    Code:
    #
    # wavin 
    #
    wavin pcm * * 
    	# R
    	[arecord] -d0 -c2 -f S16_LE -r 44100 -traw -D $FILE$ 
    wavin mp3 * *
    	# RB:{BITRATE=-B %B}
    	[arecord] -d0 -c2 -f S16_LE -r 44100 -twav -D $FILE$ | [lame] --silent -q $QUALITY$ -v $BITRATE$ - -
    wavin flc * * 
    	# R
    	[arecord] -d0 -c2 -f S16_LE -r 44100 -twav -D $FILE$ | [flac] -cs --totally-silent --compression-level-0 -
    There is a plugin included example conf alternative using ecasound to do same task as arecord.
    Code:
    #
    # wavin 
    #
    wavin wav * * 
    	# R
    	[ecasound] -q -z:db -b:4096 -f:16,2,44100 -i:alsa,$FILE$ -o stdout  
    wavin mp3 * *
    	# RB:{BITRATE=-B %B}
    	[ecasound] -q -z:db -b:4096 -f:16,2,44100 -i:alsa,$FILE$ -o stdout  | [lame] --silent -r -x -q $QUALITY$ -b $BITRATE$ - -
    wavin flc * *
    	# R 
    	[ecasound] -q -z:db -b:4096 -f:16,2,44100 -i:alsa,$FILE$ -o stdout  | [flac] -cs --totally-silent --endian=little --channels=2 --sign=signed --bps=16 --sample-rate=44100 --compression-level-0
    Last edited by bpa; 2021-11-19 at 07:26. Reason: typos

Yeah I forgot to add in LMS settings (LMS Settings Player Audio) but as per bpa's comprehensive answer this will affect all other streams so not ideal
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Mechanical solution?

Audiophiles, please don't flame me, I'm one of you, just throwing this out there...

What about pluging just the turntable into one of those cheap remote control power switches (all over amazon) power off, setting the needle down, going to your listening position, and pressing the remote? There should be enough silent leadup on the LP to not hear the startup.

As per my intro, I am not sure if this is a "no no".

I looked for a "remote control turntable stylus dropper" and am amazed I couldn't fine one!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I looked for a "remote control turntable stylus dropper" and am amazed I couldn't fine one!
    Looked up "remote controlled turntables" and besides ones for dinner table and model trains - there are a few vinyl solutions - few commercial and some DIY. Audiophiles will definitely not approve the DIY ones.

I looked around to see if there are any negatives to leaving the needle on the record for a short period of time, then starting up the tt. I couldn't find anything but discussions (reddit, etc), but there were allot of mentions that DJ's do it all the time to cue up the next track.

So, my idea was to restore the power to the turntable with the stylus down, and hopefully it would stabilize the speed before the music started. I guess the only thing I would be if the startup of the tt would do anything detrimental to the stylus or LP.

Jim

thank you all,
    haha hadn't thought of the mechanical alternatives, but yeah, those are valid ones too. i have a 8 year old kid, i am wonderings if...

@Jaca: the audio startup time would be perfect, i only use LMS for the turntable so i dont mind if it affects other streams. however when i input a setting setting (i.e. 15 seconds), does not take effect. i was thinking... the example given for the setting is 0.25seconds, maybe there is a limit to how long the delay can be?

@bpa: how can i increase the buffer size? cannot find that setting. for your second suggestion, will need some time to try to understand it