Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio on Touch

Radio on Touch

As someone technically challenged I am not sure what is going on here. Be gentle with me please

When I fire up the Touch I can see that there is a 'Radio' option and that works OK. But when I switch to 'My Music' the touch is redirected to my LMS (on Pi) and the 'Radio' option is gone. Then, when I power down the Touch the screen stays black. By removing and re-insertng the power supply the Touch reverts to normal standby (clock, date...).

Any hints? I appreciate that the Touch is changing libraries but is there a way (plug-in?) to have the Radio function on LMS and to have the 'normal' standby display on power down?

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmebbc View Post
    As someone technically challenged I am not sure what is going on here. Be gentle with me please

When I fire up the Touch I can see that there is a 'Radio' option and that works OK. But when I switch to 'My Music' the touch is redirected to my LMS (on Pi) and the 'Radio' option is gone. Then, when I power down the Touch the screen stays black. By removing and re-insertng the power supply the Touch reverts to normal standby (clock, date...).

Any hints? I appreciate that the Touch is changing libraries but is there a way (plug-in?) to have the Radio function on LMS and to have the 'normal' standby display on power down?
    From the "My Music" screen left arrow should take you to the "Home" screen where you should see the "Radio" menu item.

Name:  screensaver2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  26.7 KB

You can choose which screen to display at Settings > Screen > Screensavers.

Name:  screensavers.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  23.6 KB
    Last edited by kidstypike; 2021-11-19 at 01:41.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/Pi screen/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DAC HAT > Edifier
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.1.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > Topping E30 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Echo Show 8
    Garage - Rpi4/pCP/AP mode > Touch > Edifier

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi, 1xDAC32, 1xCORE32

Thank you for the reply kidstypike.

Re your first screen shot; that is what I see when I use the remote control to first access the Touch. No problem there as I can select the 'Radio' option and then the service that I wish to listen to.

From that same menu when I select 'My Music' the touch is re-directed to my music library which is held on my NAS and accessed by LMS running on a Pi.

When I try to return to the top level menu to continue listening to the radio there is no 'Radio' option to select. If, at that point, I use the remote to turn off the touch it just displays a black screen.

To restore the default standby screeen (time, date...) I have to unplug the power supply then re-insert it and, after the re-boot/power up cycle, the clock etc are displayed as normal.

Thank you for the reply kidstypike.

Re your first screen shot; that is what I see when I use the remote control to first access the Touch. No problem there as I can select the 'Radio' option and then the service that I wish to listen to.

From that same menu when I select 'My Music' the touch is re-directed to my music library which is held on my NAS and accessed by LMS running on a Pi.

When I try to return to the top level menu to continue listening to the radio there is no 'Radio' option to select. If, at that point, I use the remote to turn off the touch it just displays a black screen.

To restore the default standby screeen (time, date...) I have to unplug the power supply then re-insert it and, after the re-boot/power up cycle, the clock etc are displayed as normal.
    No idea why you don't see a "Radio" menu, unless you have disabled the Radio (v1.0) plugin on the LMS settings plugins page.

For your blank screen problem, on your Touch go to Settings > Screensavers > When off, and choose what you wish to see when you power off, there's plenty to choose from.

Name:  clock01.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  clock02.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  25.2 KB
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

When I see the 'Radio' option, the Touch is connected to mysqueezebox.com. I do not understand why I am being connected there. If I turn off the Touch using the remote control the normal 'Standy By' display is shown.

When I select 'My Music' I am disconnected from mysqueezebox.com and am connected to my NAS/LMS/Pi which, despite having the Radio (v1) plugin enabled, does not give me a 'Radio' menu option.

When I close the Touch I am left with a blank screen and can only revert to the normal 'Stand By' display by re-booting the Touch (which re-links me with mysqueezebox.com).

So I am afraid I really do not understand what is going on. Oh the joys of technology when one is technically challenged. No doubt my grandson could work this out...

When I see the 'Radio' option, the Touch is connected to mysqueezebox.com. I do not understand why I am being connected there. If I turn off the Touch using the remote control the normal 'Standy By' display is shown.

When I select 'My Music' I am disconnected from mysqueezebox.com and am connected to my NAS/LMS/Pi which, despite having the Radio (v1) plugin enabled, does not give me a 'Radio' menu option.

When I close the Touch I am left with a blank screen and can only revert to the normal 'Stand By' display by re-booting the Touch (which re-links me with mysqueezebox.com).

So I am afraid I really do not understand what is going on. Oh the joys of technology when one is technically challenged. No doubt my grandson could work this out...

I find it hard to believe that when you power on the Touch it is automatically connected to mySB.com?

When you are connected to LMS do you see a "Radio" menu item in the default web UI?

Name:  LMS radio.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  31.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    I find it hard to believe that when you power on the Touch it is automatically connected to mySB.com?
    I'd like to amend that.

If you were connected to LMS and you powered off (disconnected from mains) the Touch, then the next time you powered on, pressing the "Radio" menu item would connect you to mysb.com only if LMS was no longer running.

let me add an observation that might be related...

If I am to understand the OP has a touch, which is connected to LMS on a Pi, which has a NAS as a mounted file serve.

At my cabin where there are frequent power failures I have a touch connected to a picoreplayer (LMS Only), which is a USB HDD as a file serve (similar). I have seen the "black screen saver" that is fixed by repowering the touch and/or rebooting LMS. When this occurs for me it's because there has been a power failure and on restore, the pcP reboots faster than my isp modem and my router, and because of this the "time" info is not there when the pcP is looking for it.

Some of the time it appears that LMS behaves normally, but, in addition to the time ss not working, time based plugins like radio paradise flac do not work properly or at all. Sometimes on restore the touch initially gets redirected to mysb.com because LMS on the pcp is not functioning at all. In this case I just reboot the pcP.

I should also note that when this first started happening, I had the LMS data and cache on the HDD and the power failure caused the HDD mount to get lost, so the system was bricked until I set it back up. I since have moved the LMS data to a 3rd partition that this allows a easier recovery (leaving it in the normal partion of the SD worked too).

I have a few threads on this in the forum, it baffled me for a long time.

I have not seen the "Radio" selection missing, the only thing I can say in this regard is you can "hide" menu items, and perhaps this disappearance, along with no clock saver are symptom of LMS limping like I have observed.

Please don't roll your eyes, this actually happens, honest. In fact I can come home, look at the touch and say "there has been another power failure" The blinking microwave clock confirms it

I guess my suggestion would be to reboot LMS (when the NAS is ready) and see if this resolves time and missing "radio". Looking forward, where is the LMS data being stored, on the SD or the NAS? If it's the NAS, perhaps (guessing) it's a powerup timing issue similar to mine, maybe the NAS is hibernating and not "ready" when the pi is looking for it and it tries to start LMS but can't find the data? (Im guessing here). I think I have read that there is a "spinup" setting on pcP that can help in this regard.

Jim

Thanks Redrum (Jim).

I suspect that something, somewhere, has maybe got - shall we say - "out of sync" so rather than struggle with troubleshooting I'll go for a complete fresh (re) install.

I'll post back once completed. Meanwhile thanks all for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    I'd like to amend that.

If you were connected to LMS and you powered off (disconnected from mains) the Touch, then the next time you powered on, pressing the "Radio" menu item would connect you to mysb.com only if LMS was no longer running.
    Right, and this is what I have seen. Connection to mysb.com is usually "uh oh, LMS is not running". In my practice, I see the black screen saver, reboot picoreplayer remotely through a PC (which restarts LMS), then (from memory) I might not have to repower the touch, just turn it off then on? I think the key for me is restaring pcP and LMS when there is an internet connection.

If I can suggest to the op, rather than reinstall and take the risk of getting nowhere, when this occurs, try rebooting LMS and/or the pi. Then the touch.

Also, it would be helpful to understand your system, what pi, what is running LMS on the pi, how is everything connected, does the NAS go to sleep when not in use, etc.

Jim