Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

PiCorePlayer RaspberryPi timeout issue(s)

Hi-

I have several PCP controllers with raspberry pi touch screens around my house and streamers in a main room connected to a distribution amplifier. The problem I have is that if the LMS server or my local internet goes down for any length of times the controllers freeze and stop connecting to the streaming devices, even if the LMS server is back up and running normally. I often have to unplug them to restart them. If the LMS server is not reachable for one reason or another the streamers will timeout for a period of time or permanently until they're restarted by unplugging them.

Is this normal? Is there a way change this behavior so they'll reconnect? I would say I have to go through this process a few times a month. I'm not sure if it's the software or Rapsberry Pi's.

I'm on PCP 8.0 and I have Raspberry Pi's Model B+, 3 and 4. The model 4 pi is running PCP with LMS.

Trial fix.

Just to see if I can resolve my issue I've setup PCP running LMS to use a static IP in the Beta section. It was already assigned a static IP through OPNSense. There were some weird variables when I first used the Beta (see below). For the units using Squeezlite only I have set the static IP of LMS in the squeezlite settings. For the units just using jivelite as a controller I have not done anything but if they continue to freeze I may set them up with a static IP in the beta section as well.

On another note. The beta fields for etho are set as follows by default, which I think is strange.

Static IP address: netmask
    Netmask: up
    Namserver 1: >

I obviously changed those values but they're strange defaults. I would they'd grab what was currently being used by DHCP.

Cheers

-Peter

It is preferable to use your DHCP server to set static IPs. I only ever use static IP on my LMS server.

Those strange default values indicate a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    It is preferable to use your DHCP server to set static IPs. I only ever use static IP on my LMS server.

Those strange default values indicate a problem.
    Yep, it says it right on there that DHCP is preferred but I'm troubleshooting so I'll give it a shot and see if they timeout again.

Those values were found on 3 different players and since it's a beta feature I didn't think much of it. Probably grabbing from the wrong field.
    Last edited by Shart; 2021-11-11 at 08:51.

May have figured it out.

Well it looks like the issue may be ethernet related. I have my wall controller connected through POE on cat 5e. It's either my POE switch or I didn't terminate the cable well enough. It's getting power but ethernet doesn't always seem to work after a power failure as we had last night.