Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Duet power supply

I have inherited a Squeezebox Duet from my father-in-law and I would really like to get it set up and working.
    The hand held controller works fine but the reciever box doesn't start up - there is some red light from the optical port but no other signs of life.
    Measuring the voltages inside I get the 5V but the 3V3 and the 1V2 are reading low. I think I've seen some scorching on the lead of one of the inductors in the PSU section, maybe the winding has burnt out?
    However I'm now wondering if the capacitors are knackered due to several years of not being used?
    So my questions a) does anyone know the specs of the inductors in the PSU - assuming it has burnt out and/or b) what value capacitors are used around the PSU circuit.
    Any help would be much appreciated, it would be a shame to throw it away and I remember the sound being of very high quality.
    Thanks in advance
    Chris

If repair proves impractical, consider replacing the Duet Receiver with a DAC32 and controlling it with the Duet Controller (or phone/tablet app or web browser.) The DAC32 is a more capable and better sounding solution. Cost analysis probably comes out about even, and you save a lot of time.

https://polyvection.com/en/product/dac32/

For that matter, if you already have a DAC you can set up a Raspberry Pi Zero as a Squeezebox player, connect it to your DAC via USB, and control it as above.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...w-RPi-Zero-2-W

Quote Originally Posted by marsbar View Post
    I have inherited a Squeezebox Duet from my father-in-law and I would really like to get it set up and working.
    The hand held controller works fine but the reciever box doesn't start up - there is some red light from the optical port but no other signs of life.
    Measuring the voltages inside I get the 5V but the 3V3 and the 1V2 are reading low. I think I've seen some scorching on the lead of one of the inductors in the PSU section, maybe the winding has burnt out?
    However I'm now wondering if the capacitors are knackered due to several years of not being used?
    So my questions a) does anyone know the specs of the inductors in the PSU - assuming it has burnt out and/or b) what value capacitors are used around the PSU circuit.
    Any help would be much appreciated, it would be a shame to throw it away and I remember the sound being of very high quality.
    Thanks in advance
    Chris
    You should make sure the power block is fine. I've replaced these many times over years for Duet, they have been failing "often"
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    You should make sure the power block is fine. I've replaced these many times over years for Duet, they have been failing "often"
    Thanks Phillipe - the voltage is fine, are you suggesting that it might not be able to supply the current requirements any more?
    I'll try and find something similar and see what happens.....
    Regards
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    If repair proves impractical, consider replacing the Duet Receiver with a DAC32 and controlling it with the Duet Controller (or phone/tablet app or web browser.) The DAC32 is a more capable and better sounding solution. Cost analysis probably comes out about even, and you save a lot of time.

https://polyvection.com/en/product/dac32/

For that matter, if you already have a DAC you can set up a Raspberry Pi Zero as a Squeezebox player, connect it to your DAC via USB, and control it as above.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...w-RPi-Zero-2-W
    Interesting idea - I have quite a few PIs I experiment with, if I get nowhere with some simple repair attempts I might just follow your suggestion.
    Thanks
    Chris

Same here, replaced one power supply on the receiver and two on the controller.

I had a few of the 5V power supplies that at first sight appeared ok when measured with the multimeter: still giving 5V output.
    But they were faulty, the voltage collapsed as soon as there was any load on them.
    Not sure if the same can happen to the 9V power supply, but it might be worth to crosscheck the receiver with a known-good PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by BartS View Post
    Not sure if the same can happen to the 9V power supply, but it might be worth to crosscheck the receiver with a known-good PSU.
    Absolutely. I've replaced a faulty 9v on a receiver using one of these;
    https://www.amazon.com/SHNITPWR-Univ...108294610&th=1
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.2.1 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets ( both WiFi, farthest unit gets 60% signal strength and always works since new power supply) and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.2.1 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B (WiFi) /Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)