Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Changed Server and now Receiver on blue

I have a Duet system with LMS running (until recently) on a Windows 7 desktop computer - all connections, Receiver, Server, everything in house, is Ethernet (i.e., wired and wifi disabled on router). This was working fine via the LMS Web Interface (the Duet Controller failed several years back - endlessly cycles “Logitech'”/”Free Your Music”) with just one small inconvenience; I always had to activate the Duet Controller briefly in order for the Receiver to be recognized after restarting the LMS computer from its overnight shutdown.

Just recently the Windows 7 machine failed and I replaced it with a Windows 10 Pro machine. I downloaded and installed the current LMS from https://mysqueezebox.com/download. Initially all seemed well; the familiar green tray icon and Web Interface were back and LMS successfully scanned my media (on a NAS). However, I cannot get the Receiver to be recognized. With the Duet Controller off, the Receiver light is solid red. With the Duet Controller on, the Receiver light is blue and stays so. I understand blue means the Receiver is connected to the LAN and waiting to connect to LMS. To double check, logging into my router confirms that the Receiver is indeed visible on my LAN.

Here’s my dilemma: I initially thought I would use Net:UDAP to configure my receiver. However, after reading and rereading the various posts (especially https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...iguration-tool), I feel I might be compounding the problem. This is frustrating: the situation is that I haven’t changed anything on the Receiver end so surely whatever is stopping the Receiver from being recognized must be on the Server end. I’m thinking (hoping) it might be something quite trivial - I would be so grateful for any thoughts on what this could be.

Quote Originally Posted by whathim View Post
    I have a Duet system with LMS running (until recently) on a Windows 7 desktop computer - all connections, Receiver, Server, everything in house, is Ethernet (i.e., wired and wifi disabled on router). This was working fine via the LMS Web Interface (the Duet Controller failed several years back - endlessly cycles “Logitech'”/”Free Your Music”) with just one small inconvenience; I always had to activate the Duet Controller briefly in order for the Receiver to be recognized after restarting the LMS computer from its overnight shutdown.

Just recently the Windows 7 machine failed and I replaced it with a Windows 10 Pro machine. I downloaded and installed the current LMS from https://mysqueezebox.com/download. Initially all seemed well; the familiar green tray icon and Web Interface were back and LMS successfully scanned my media (on a NAS). However, I cannot get the Receiver to be recognized. With the Duet Controller off, the Receiver light is solid red. With the Duet Controller on, the Receiver light is blue and stays so. I understand blue means the Receiver is connected to the LAN and waiting to connect to LMS. To double check, logging into my router confirms that the Receiver is indeed visible on my LAN.

Here’s my dilemma: I initially thought I would use Net:UDAP to configure my receiver. However, after reading and rereading the various posts (especially https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...iguration-tool), I feel I might be compounding the problem. This is frustrating: the situation is that I haven’t changed anything on the Receiver end so surely whatever is stopping the Receiver from being recognized must be on the Server end. I’m thinking (hoping) it might be something quite trivial - I would be so grateful for any thoughts on what this could be.
    Did you replace the W7 box with W10 and then switch IPs? You want the new W10 box to have the same IP as the old W7 box had although I would expect auto-discovery to work.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

...all connections, Receiver, Server, everything in house, is Ethernet (i.e., wired and wifi disabled on router). This was working fine via the LMS Web Interface (the Duet Controller failed several years back - endlessly cycles “Logitech'”/”Free Your Music”) with just one small inconvenience; I always had to activate the Duet Controller briefly in order for the Receiver to be recognized after restarting the LMS computer from its overnight shutdown.
    From your description you are operating in bridge mode ( https://www.logitech.com/images/pdf/...x_Duet-ENG.pdf - page 16), where the receiver is connected to the ethernet and the controller is connected via ad-hoc wifi to the receiver (as opposed to the router). I have never tried this type of connection, I use hybrid for my receivers. Perhaps it might explain why you need to activate the controller to get the receiver to reconnect all this time? Not sure, I have never seen this.

I have had my struggles with receivers hanging on various colors, including blue, and I have always had to factory reset BOTH the receiver and controller together to recover (press and hold receiver until fast red flash, hold down'+' when powering up controller). I have never been able to reset the receiver on it's own.

It's not clear to me if your controller is still viable? You mention the endless cycle of the splash screen. I might suspect replacing the battery may help. Also, the power supply/charger can fail where sufficient battery charging doesn't happen. Both are cheap fixes. Even with the great UI's such as material, etc. I still like my controllers as mini "now playing" and grab and control.

Finally, you have wifi disabled on your router, Unless you do not want it disabled for a specific reason, you could try hybrid mode and see if your controller activate to kick start the receiver is still needed.

Jim

Thanks d6jg
    I did nothing consciously to the IPs. when I replaced the computer - but you got me thinking. When I log into my router, I see the server machine listed as DELLDESK on 192.168.1.30. However, when I go to Advanced Settings there is a more comprehensive list which includes:
    DELLDESK 192.168.1.30 Online
    Delldesk 192.168.1.15 Offline

Thanks Redrum
    Yes, I’m operating in bridged mode, always have been, and appreciate your thoughts about trying hybrid mode. I too liked the Controller (when it worked). However, I’m almost getting to the point where I’m tempted to invest in a Raspberry Pi solution and ditch the Duet Receiver. It’s getting ridiculous having a device on my LAN that doesn’t have its own web interface, as does my router, my printer, my NAS drives.

I’m almost getting to the point where I’m tempted to invest in a Raspberry Pi solution and ditch the Duet Receiver. It’s getting ridiculous having a device on my LAN that doesn’t have its own web interface, as does my router, my printer, my NAS drives.
    Might be a good plan. I have receivers and still use them, but without a controller, they would go into a box

If you did go the rpi route you could set it up as a player and a server and not have to deal with a LMS install on windows. I use pi's as LMS servers only (so far).

If you like the controller and you can still see the splash screen when it powers up (until it fails boot, then repeats), then it might be worth saving.I see batteries on ebay for less than $10USD, and the charger/adaptor is cheap as well (you just have to splice it in). Even if you go the pi route, the controller can still serve as an extra UI for it.

Jim

I decided to go for a Raspberry Pi solution – see My Raspberry/HiFiBerry piCorePlayer.
    Thanks for the encouragement.