Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Same thoughts here, how come multiple WiFi issues popup at the same time??

Quote Originally Posted by mcoste View Post
    Same thoughts here, how come multiple WiFi issues popup at the same time??
    The player such as Touches and SB Classics are getting old and roughly same age and age related issues such as PSU, WIFI and caps failures start to show up.

Secondary issues is wifi standards have also changed over 10 years and older devices can be affected by newer standard such as Wifi6 (as well as other more widespread use of 2.4G freq such as BT and Zigbee etc)

My touches are still alive (one on wifi), so I have not tried this, but if your touches are fine on ethernet, others have used vonet wifi dongles, which (I have read) can be powered by the USB port of the touch.

minimal cost and worth a try, even if just for debug purposes

Jim

I've also noticed that the Touch is very allergic to 2.4 GHz wifi using 40 MHz channel width.

I don't think I am experiencing interference on my two Touches.

It is as if the entire wifi hardware subsystem is missing.

I am no longer even given the option to configure the wireless connection on my Touches

Quote Originally Posted by pputzer View Post
    I've also noticed that the Touch is very allergic to 2.4 GHz wifi using 40 MHz channel width.
    I think bonding didn't exist when Touch was developed. I suspect the underlying components were designed to only expect 20MHz channels

I left one of my Touches disconnected from power for about 3 hours.

I when I came back to it, it would let me configure the wireless network just fine, like it always had.

It is running normally at the moment.

I assume that the wireless subsystem is on its last legs

I also recently got bitten by this bug.
    My touch has been working fine for years, but when i replaced my AP the WiFi was gone on the touch. I tried all the tricks like powering from a lab power supply, factory reset and firmware update but it doesn't do any good.

It's like JPEG wrote, it seems like the whole WiFi subsystem is gone. I really would like to do a full factory reset of it and start new, but it seems that the reset from the menu or pushing the button during power up doesn't clear all the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by carpelux View Post
    I also recently got bitten by this bug.
    My touch has been working fine for years, but when i replaced my AP the WiFi was gone on the touch. I tried all the tricks like powering from a lab power supply, factory reset and firmware update but it doesn't do any good.

It's like JPEG wrote, it seems like the whole WiFi subsystem is gone. I really would like to do a full factory reset of it and start new, but it seems that the reset from the menu or pushing the button during power up doesn't clear all the settings.
    If your problems started when you changed the access point it would be a massive coincidence If the Touch developed an issue at the same time. Does it still work with the old access point?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I have tried to enable the old access point, but that didn't change anything. Actually I don't think it's anything wrong the WiFi environment as all the other things that are attached to it works well. Some 30 devices ranging from clients to various other and IOT things, including 3 SB Radios and 4 squeezelite-ESP32.

I did connect the touch via ethernet and used ssh to log in to it. When i tried to start the wlan interface via the init script it inserts the module '/lib/modules/2.6.26.8-rt16-332-g5849bfa/sd8686.ko' but then it doesn't seem to find the hardware. Maybe there really is a hardware failure but it seems a bit unlikely that so many people are affected.

Here's how it looks when I try to start the wlan interface (MAC obscured):

Code:
    # /etc/init.d/wlan start
    root: Starting wlan
    Setting wlan0 ethaddr: 00:04:20:nn:nn:nn
    ifconfig: SIOCSIFHWADDR: No such device
    Setting region: 16
    wlan0     no private ioctls.

ioctl[SIOCGIWPRIV]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: No such device
    Could not configure driver to use managed mode
    ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device
    Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
    ioctl[SIOCGIWRANGE]: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCGIFINDEX]: No such device
    marvell ioctl: No such device
    ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: No such device
    Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
    root: wlan started