Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Configuring Perlbrew under Fedora to run LMS

I’m upgrading to Fedora 35 which comes with Perl 5.34. Once a year I have the same problem – LMS does not yet support the version of Perl that Fedora defaults to. Up until now I’ve delayed upgrading Fedora until a supported version of LMS is released.

I’ve installed Perlbrew and successfully installed/built Perl 5.32.1 on my machine. I’ve used
    “perlbrew switch 5.32.1”
    have run “perl -v” and verified that my machine is running Perl 5.32.1

However – I cannot get LMS to start and I can’t find anything meaningful in the logs. I know that in my standard install I had to create the following soft link to get LMS to run:

ln -s /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/.

Could it be something along this line with a link back to my ~/perl5 tree? Or something else I need to set in my .bashrc or an init script?

I am running LMS 8.0.0 – 1605342997. I would rather not upgrade it as some plugins that I depend upon are no longer being maintained and may break if I do so. Because of this I’d rather lock my perl version as long as possible rather than upgrade LMS ti a perl 5.34 compatible version when one becomes available.

All help is appreciated.

Configuring Perlbrew under Fedora to run LMS

Did you consider running LMS in Docker instead?

I thought about it but there appears to be way too much plumbing to do connecting ports, services, etc. Plus I have LMS configured exactly how I want it. I'll consider it if it's the lesser of evils. So far building a perlbrew perl and "perlbrew-switch"-ing it to work seems to fit my needs better. I've successfully built a perlbrew 5.32 and I feel like I'm very close.

Quote Originally Posted by davidfox2116 View Post
    I’m upgrading to Fedora 35 which comes with Perl 5.34. Once a year I have the same problem – LMS does not yet support the version of Perl that Fedora defaults to. Up until now I’ve delayed upgrading Fedora until a supported version of LMS is released.

I’ve installed Perlbrew and successfully installed/built Perl 5.32.1 on my machine. I’ve used
    “perlbrew switch 5.32.1”
    have run “perl -v” and verified that my machine is running Perl 5.32.1

However – I cannot get LMS to start and I can’t find anything meaningful in the logs. I know that in my standard install I had to create the following soft link to get LMS to run:

ln -s /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/Slim /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/.

Could it be something along this line with a link back to my ~/perl5 tree? Or something else I need to set in my .bashrc or an init script?

I am running LMS 8.0.0 – 1605342997. I would rather not upgrade it as some plugins that I depend upon are no longer being maintained and may break if I do so. Because of this I’d rather lock my perl version as long as possible rather than upgrade LMS ti a perl 5.34 compatible version when one becomes available.

All help is appreciated.

Have you something specific that prevents you from running RHEL8, Centos8, Almalinux8 or RockyLinux8 ?

If not LMS runs great under all of these

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

After my hasty reply I decided to try the Docker solution. The plumbing issues were trivial and easy to address with the sample run script. It seems to check all of my boxes.
    Thanks!