Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,309
    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Essentially, because my wife is experiencing significant sensory/vocal problems, I'm looking for the most basic control interface.

    Here's what car mode looks like in android audible

    This would be perfect if only Amazon/Audible got their act together to play to Echos
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    8,007
    Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Essentially, because my wife is experiencing significant sensory/vocal problems, I'm looking for the most basic control interface.

    Here's what car mode looks like in android audible

    This would be perfect if only Amazon/Audible got their act together to play to Echos
    Can't you you play to an Echo from the Alexa app?
    https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...lexa?r=US&IR=T

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,309
    Material with large fonts gets close to the above car mode.

    The big problem with using lms and mp3 files is there isn't an intuitive/easy way to bookmark. She tried with the bookmark plugin but it quickly descended into chaos and frustration.

    I'd like to thank you all for your suggestions.

    (One thing I've learned from all is just how poorly served the disabled are by existing IT structures and software designs).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,309
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Can't you you play to an Echo from the Alexa app?
    https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...lexa?r=US&IR=T

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Just tried this... Looks promising interface-wise but so far nothing actually plays. Need to investigate further...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    6,234
    Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Essentially, because my wife is experiencing significant sensory/vocal problems, I'm looking for the most basic control interface.

    Here's what car mode looks like in android audible

    This would be perfect if only Amazon/Audible got their act together to play to Echos
    I think you can make virtually any recent Android tablet work in car mode. If you can then you could just use it conjunction with any BT speaker.

    What gear do you have at your disposal?
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net


    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,309
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I think you can make virtually any recent Android tablet work in car mode. If you can then you could just use it conjunction with any BT speaker.

    What gear do you have at your disposal?
    It has to be a Huawei M5 lite. Phones are just too fiddly for her to use.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    6,234
    Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    It has to be a Huawei M5 lite. Phones are just too fiddly for her to use.
    Google “aptoide” it is supposed to be able to make an Android tablet work in Android Auto mode but the Huawei is a little esoteric and I see won’t upgrade beyond Android 8. Good luck
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net


    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

  8. #18
    Senior Member philchillbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast;
    Can't you you play to an Echo from the Alexa app?
    https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...lexa?r=US&IR=T
    That will only work if you have the correct (in Amazon's eyes) combination of Amazon account location, Audible account location and Alexa locale setting

    I use Amazon.NL for buying physical stuff but Amazon.co.uk for Alexa-related stuff. Amazon thinks I should use Amazon.DE for that, believe it or not. Audible is therefore not even shown in my Alexa app as something that can be added. Amazon likes to pigeonhole people. Very annoying

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,309
    Another approach:

    I created a Kindle paperwhite stream to my picoreplayer via Bluetooth. This gives an audio stream favourite to any squeezebox player.

    Works, although there's the expected noticeable delay when pausing and starting.

    One plus is that there seems little impact on the kindle's battery compared to smartphones.

    .......

    Another possibility which works. Use Audible player on Windows and redirect to 'airplay' squeezeboxes via Tuneblade. Latency is almost non-existent here. Reasonably priced Windows tablets are thin on the ground so not so practical.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    The big problem with using lms and mp3 files is there isn't an intuitive/easy way to bookmark. She tried with the bookmark plugin but it quickly descended into chaos and frustration.
    I wrote the bookmark plugin, but mainly for personal reasons: I could not find any other multiroom audio solution that has this feature. I use it every day and it works pretty reliable for me.
    If you could explain the problems you are having with it, i could try to improve it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •