Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Announce: piCorePlayer 8.0.0 - Network Timing Protocol

I have forgotten to mention that we added a "Network Timing Protocol" web page to piCorePlayer 8.0.0

Found here: [Main Page] in [Beta] mode > [Extras] > "ntpd"

This is really only useful if you require accurate timing, say if you are using the Clock screen saver or maybe you could argue useful for LMS.

The topic of ntp and ntpd comes up every so often, so this should save people adding scripts or using "User commands".

If you were part of the previous ntp discussions, please give this a go and let me know.
    Last edited by Greg Erskine; 2021-10-19 at 03:49.

Great add-on!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Very nice to have this in the UI, and I'd say it should be a mandatory feature for LMS which can get really screwed up with the wrong time and will save lots of head scratching. Also if you have a clock screensaver.

However I'd completely missed this new feature - could beta feature updates be added to the docs?
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/releases/pcp800/

Nice feature. I recommended spelling out NTPD for those that don't know the abbreviation. Adding "recommended when running LMS so it has accurate time" would also be helpful.

Paul

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Why not have the network timing protocol turned on by default? Especially if it is helpful for running LMS or using a clock feature.
    Those that want to turn it off for some reason could override the default setting.

Paul

Most people don't need ntpd running and very few have requested ntpd be default in >8 years.

Currently, ntpd is run once a bootup to sync the time. This is how the time gets set on most Raspberry Pi's AFAIK.

I think there was another situation, after a power failure, pCP might boot up faster than the router, so the time could not be set.