Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any good plugins, or extensions, or "recipes" for synchronizing a music library?

I have a piCorePlayer 8.0.0 running LMS server using a local USB hard disk to store my music library. A long time ago, I plugged it into a computer and copied my iTunes music library to it. I have, on occasion, manually updated it, but what I would really like is to be able to setup automated synchronization for it.

In the ideal world, the pCP would have some sort of extension or plugin that allowed it to pull directly from my iCloud account, and bring in any new or updated files. I suspect this is a pipe dream.

Next best thing would be for something that would periodically, on a schedule, run on the pCP and attempt to sync with another computer on my LAN. Could be Windows or Mac. When I initially set this up, it was a desktop computer that had a full copy of the media library, and which was on all the time. Now, I have just laptops, and they don't always have a full, local copy of the library (which is why pulling from iCloud would be ideal).

Third best thing would be a batch file/shell script I could run on an ad-hoc basis to sync up as needed.

I can't be the only one who has this desire, right? Are folks here aware of either pre-packaged solutions to this problem, or a good write-up for how to set something up?

Quote Originally Posted by tastewar View Post
    I have a piCorePlayer 8.0.0 running LMS server using a local USB hard disk to store my music library. A long time ago, I plugged it into a computer and copied my iTunes music library to it. I have, on occasion, manually updated it, but what I would really like is to be able to setup automated synchronization for it.

In the ideal world, the pCP would have some sort of extension or plugin that allowed it to pull directly from my iCloud account, and bring in any new or updated files. I suspect this is a pipe dream.

Next best thing would be for something that would periodically, on a schedule, run on the pCP and attempt to sync with another computer on my LAN. Could be Windows or Mac. When I initially set this up, it was a desktop computer that had a full copy of the media library, and which was on all the time. Now, I have just laptops, and they don't always have a full, local copy of the library (which is why pulling from iCloud would be ideal).

Third best thing would be a batch file/shell script I could run on an ad-hoc basis to sync up as needed.

I can't be the only one who has this desire, right? Are folks here aware of either pre-packaged solutions to this problem, or a good write-up for how to set something up?
    There is no plugin that will do this as far as I am aware..
    What you may want to consider is a NAS on your network that holds a full copy of your music files - you could then configure a Mac to use it as its Time Machine and schedule regular backups to the NAS as well as to iCloud.
    Then you can either schedule a sync to your piCorePlayer or mount the NAS drive instead of using the USB drive - repurpose the USB to take weekly backups directly from the NAS.

Unfortunately iCloud is very Mac/iOS centric and although some people have managed to sync other systems with it using rsync and similar tools it isn't usually available as Cloud Storage from within NAS O/S directly otherwise I'd suggest a direct job on a NAS - a QNAP for example supports scheduled backup to OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Cloud, Amazon etc but not iCloud.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Resilio Sync

I strongly recommend resilio sync for such tasks. It's a very powerful and simple tool for such use cases, but afaik it's no packages for pcp are available. In principle that should be doable: There are at least builds for arm and armhf available (https://www.resilio.com/individuals/)

I use resilio sync (= bittorent sync) since a couple of years on my desktop, home servers (intel NUC and previously armhf-base cubietruck, both with debian) and android phones, and its very easy to use and does not consume many ressources. It supports read-only as well as two-way syncronisation, network disruptions and much more, and can even be used across different networks. My main use case is to keep local music library in sync with LMS, and that works very well and reliable.
    Main: Transporter -> [Marantz PM7005 -> Canton Vento 820.2] | [Meier enhanced crossfeed -> Topping A50s -> Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed]
    Office: Squeezelite-esp32+SSD1322+IR+Cirrus CS43198 -> Yamaha CRX-E400 -> Q Acoustics 3010i
    Garden: DAC32 -> Objective2 -> Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed
    Bathroom and children's room: 2x SB Radio
    Spare devices / ongoing projects: 2 x SB3, Touch, PiCorePlayer8+RasPi3A++DAC+light+RTC+7'' Display+XBox Media Remote+LMS
    Server: NUC7CJYH2+Debian+LMS+Resilio Sync

Freefilesync also works well.
    https://freefilesync.org

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thanks, d6jg; I would like to avoid, if possible, the complexity of a adding a NAS (another device to manage, find a place for, etc) if I can, but I appreciate the simplicity (in some sense) of having it be a "hub" that some devices would write to, and others just read from.

df77- is Resilio Sync (free version) capable of targeting the optional Samba share that can be installed in LMS on pCP? Or does it require that Resilio software is running on the pCP itself?

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Freefilesync also works well.
    https://freefilesync.org

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    this is what I use to sync two systems, one at home the other at a cabin. I do it not only for music, but favorites and prefs. The object is to have two identical systems at different locations. I also mirror other non sb files - photos, documents, etc needed at both locations.

I use a separate "travel SSD" but you could just use the internet. I don't because when I am at one location, the power is off at the other. I suppose I could use a cloud service

I created ffs scripts like: Home<->Travel, Travel<->Cabin. KIts simple, but I have to remember to update the travel HDD before hitting the road.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tastewar View Post
    df77- is Resilio Sync (free version) capable of targeting the optional Samba share that can be installed in LMS on pCP? Or does it require that Resilio software is running on the pCP itself?
    Unfortunately that is not possible with sync free - with resilio sync (free) the sync process is always between different instances of the sync daemon, and therefore even using smb as a target would require a second machine running resilio sync.

The big advantage of resilio sync is, that no manual interactions are required _after_ setting up everything, e.g. no manual starting of the sync process. Files will always stay in sync on different machines without further interaction. And that is already possible with the free version (now use sync home pro). However, it is stated here that Sync (home) pro also supports local sync, but I don't know if that includes (and work sufficiently relaible) with network shares.

For sync on a daily basis, rsync would also be a way forward, or robocopy and windows task scheduler (on windows):
    Code:
    robocopy <source> <destination> /MIR /dst /ndl
    Main: Transporter -> [Marantz PM7005 -> Canton Vento 820.2] | [Meier enhanced crossfeed -> Topping A50s -> Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed]
    Office: Squeezelite-esp32+SSD1322+IR+Cirrus CS43198 -> Yamaha CRX-E400 -> Q Acoustics 3010i
    Garden: DAC32 -> Objective2 -> Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed
    Bathroom and children's room: 2x SB Radio
    Spare devices / ongoing projects: 2 x SB3, Touch, PiCorePlayer8+RasPi3A++DAC+light+RTC+7'' Display+XBox Media Remote+LMS
    Server: NUC7CJYH2+Debian+LMS+Resilio Sync

Quote Originally Posted by df77 View Post
    Unfortunately that is not possible with sync free - with resilio sync (free) the sync process is always between different instances of the sync daemon, and therefore even using smb as a target would require a second machine running resilio sync.

The big advantage of resilio sync is, that no manual interactions are required _after_ setting up everything, e.g. no manual starting of the sync process. Files will always stay in sync on different machines without further interaction. And that is already possible with the free version (now use sync home pro). However, it is stated here that Sync (home) pro also supports local sync, but I don't know if that includes (and work sufficiently relaible) with network shares.

For sync on a daily basis, rsync would also be a way forward, or robocopy and windows task scheduler (on windows):
    Code:
    robocopy <source> <destination> /MIR /dst /ndl
    FreeFileSync will sync between a PC drive and a network drive exposed via Samba and can be scheduled - you will of course need a full copy of your library on the PC (s) in question.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Carbon Copy Cloner on a mac can sync between a mac and networked drive.

In my case, from my iTunes folder on my mac direct to the USB disk attached to my LMS server. The USB disk being shared by the LMS server using samba.

I Use rsync between the mac and the usb

I have iMac and picoreplayer and an usb drive that is connected to the router; so that i ca see theusb drive as a server on the network. Then i use an apple script to that run Rsync to sync my iTunes library from my iMac to the USB drive. It Works quite smoothly.