Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezelite Still Crashing/c0000005 error/MSVCR100.dll

I've asked about this before, but trying once more as I still haven't found the culprit. Squeezelite will run for a day or two, and the inevitably crash. Usually after restarting it will crash again a couple of times within the next few hours, then be solid again for a day or so, which might be coincidence for all I know.

I'm getting the following error. I'm under the impression this (which appears to be a buffer overrun) might be related to one of the C++ Redistributable packages but I'm not entirely clear what I need to delete and reinstall to attempt to fix it.

Has anybody else had this issue with Squeezelite and solved it? This is on Windows 7, FWIW - it's an older machine that's running LMS only.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: squeezelite-win.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 546f3293
    Fault Module Name: MSVCR100.dll
    Fault Module Version: 10.0.40219.325
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4df2be1e
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00001ed7
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

On what version of squeezelite win32 is this happening?
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

I have a similar issue with the x64 version on W10 Pro

Code:
    Faulting application name: squeezelite-x64.exe, version: 1.9.9.1386, time stamp: 0x609e8ac2
    Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.0.24123.0, time stamp: 0x574291dd
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000c387
    Faulting process ID: 0x2098
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d7b38d4ffe3be7
    Faulting application path: C:\squeezelite\squeezelite-x64.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140.dll
    Report ID: 34431068-48a0-44ce-80cf-d2e2ba7d5e08
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

The issue is pretty much as described - runs Ok for a couple of days then crashes (usually at the most inoppurtune time but ....). In my case it is VCRUNTIME140.dll that fails

The W10Pro is a clean install solely for the purpose, no AV apart from Windows Defender

EDIT
    In fact I have 2 installs that show this behaviour and same error.
    One is a physical machine, the other is a VM.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Sorry for the late response; I have a family member in the hospital so was dealing with that for a few days. I'm not sure how to tell you what version I have installed, in the LMS interface is just says "Squeezelite" and I don't see a version number. It installed automatically with the Local Player plug-in. If you can tell me how to figure it out I'll let you know!

It's the oddest thing as it'll work for a couple of days, then will take a spell of crashing and usually crash several times within a single day, then stable again for a longer period of time. I can't help thinking it must be related to something else going on on the machine but I can't find it. It's a dedicated machine running Windows 7 and doing literally nothing other than running LMS and other audio processing software (it's driving an online station).

I gather VCRUNTIME140.dll is related to Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 so maybe by comparing notes we can solve this since it must be related to one of these packages just like the dll that's the culprit when mine crashes...I may try updating mine in a bit and see what happens.
    Last edited by typecrazy789; 2021-10-06 at 04:50.

The localplayer plugin uses a very old version of squeezelite, v1.6 I think Triode used Visual Studio 2010 where all my builds are VS 2008 for 32bit and VS 2017 for 64bit.

So it's possible that MS has introduced a change to these Visual C runtime dlls that is causing squeezelite to crash.
    Ralphy

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The localplayer plugin uses a very old version of squeezelite, v1.6 I think Triode used Visual Studio 2010 where all my builds are VS 2008 for 32bit and VS 2017 for 64bit.

So it's possible that MS has introduced a change to these Visual C runtime dlls that is causing squeezelite to crash.
    So can I just update Squeezelite directly and it still work with the local player if I uninstall the old one or is it married to the old version? If it's able to be updated, which version do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by typecrazy789 View Post
    So can I just update Squeezelite directly and it still work with the local player if I uninstall the old one or is it married to the old version? If it's able to be updated, which version do you recommend?
    Yes you can.

First stop any running local player instances of squeezelite.

Then download the latest win32 zip from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...elite/windows/
    and replace LocalPlayer/Bin/squeezelite-win.exe with the one from the zip file.

There are no additional DDLs required for my builds, all the necessary codec libraries are included in the exe.
    Ralphy

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Yes you can.

First stop any running local player instances of squeezelite.

Then download the latest win32 zip from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...elite/windows/
    and replace LocalPlayer/Bin/squeezelite-win.exe with the one from the zip file.

There are no additional DDLs required for my builds, all the necessary codec libraries are included in the exe.
    Done...fingers crossed! I appreciate the response. Just knowing there might be a solution that doesn't involve blindly replacing all the C++ packages looking for a needle in a haystack really made my day, and it's barely morning.

Quote Originally Posted by typecrazy789 View Post
    Done...fingers crossed! I appreciate the response. Just knowing there might be a solution that doesn't involve blindly replacing all the C++ packages looking for a needle in a haystack really made my day, and it's barely morning.
    So the latest version worked fine for a couple of days, then overnight stopped...it didn't crash, but when I looked at LMS this morning a track had played, and just simply didn't advance to the next track. Trying to play anything either resulted in no playback or a track jumping immediately to the end of the playback time.

I closed Squeezelite using task manager and restarted it, and then everything worked normally. Nothing in the LMS or Local Player log that indicated anything had been wrong. Is there a specific way I could try to debug that might show what the issue is, should it happen again?

Thanks in advance.