Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Problem scanning music files with non english file names

Hi to everyone! I am from Greece and it is my first post in this forum. I am an old HiFi-man but new to the LMS, raspberry pi, picoreplayer business.

I am trying to build a multi room audio system around Raspberry. I am very pleased with the results so far, but I face some problems especially with my music library scanning.

My system:
    - Raspberry pi4 with 4GB RAM running piCorePlayer with only LMS activated (not the squeezelite player).

Version: 8.2.0 - 1627922070 @ Tue Aug 3 11:43:18 CEST 2021
    Hostname: pCPlayer
    Server IP Address: 192.168.1.9
    Operating system: piCore - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: armv7l-linux
    Perl Version: 5.32.1 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
    Audio::Scan: 1.02
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.071
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

- My music library (almost 1,5 TB) is on an external 2TB HDD hooked to a USB port of pi4.
    - SqueezeliteX is running in 2 PCs (Win10) with attached desktop DACs
    - A hardware player (Polyvection DAC32 emulating squeezebox) is also running in my setup.

Let us focus on this post to my audio files with Greek music content (the directories, the file names and the tags are in Greek language). As you can see in the attached screenshot (Pic1) in the first line of the scanning results the greek characters appear as weird characters (red circle). The strange thing is that in the following line the same characters appear correctly (yellow circle). Also in the scanner.log file (pic2) the same characters appear again as strange characters. When the scanning finishes, the results in the player (Material skin) appear correctly (pic3). This is not only annoying but makes almost impossible to identify problematic files in the scanner.log.

My question is if anything in the settings that I can do to solve this problem? Or what else to look for?

My other problem has to deal with the scanning process itself which hangs up unexpectedly. I thought that this may be is correlated with the first problem, but the hanging happens also with files with english file names and tags. But for this problem let me write some more details in my next posts.

Thanks in advance!
    PS
    Sorry for the long post and for my not so good english.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by KaPa; 2021-10-03 at 10:37.

Hi Kapa,

Looks like a unicode issue. Perhaps you will something useful here:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...e-device-names

Greetings,

L.

Hi lencoth,

I also believe that my problem is a Unicode problem.
    I had a quick look to the thread you proposed to me. I intend to study it later.
    Although I am not very familiar with all these I guess my problem is not a SqueezeliteX problem, but an LMS (or picoreplayer?) problem because it appears in every platform (iPad, android) I start scanning my music library from.

Thanks anyway.
    Panayotis

Quote Originally Posted by KaPa View Post
    I also believe that my problem is a Unicode problem.
    I had a quick look to the thread you proposed to me. I intend to study it later.
    Although I am not very familiar with all these I guess my problem is not a SqueezeliteX problem, but an LMS (or picoreplayer?) problem because it appears in every platform (iPad, android) I start scanning my music library from.
    You need to provide info on the format on the USB disk, how was it formatted /created, how were the files created, what options are used to mount the disk.

If the disk was created / maintained using Windows try the Windows commands (with X: replacing your drive letter) to get the disk specific info.
    Code:
     fsutil fsinfo volumeinfo X:

fsutil 8dot3name query X:

Hi bpa,

Thanks for your answer. I will try to give you as much information as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    You need to provide info on the format on the USB disk, how was it formatted /created, how were the files created, what options are used to mount the disk.
    The format of the USB disk is NTFS and formatted and created using Windows.
    I don't really remember how the specific files created. But it may have some value to note that not only the files, but also the name of the directory containing the files, appear with weird characters (the original name of the specific directory is 12 ΡΕΜΠΕΤΙΚΑ-ΛΑΪΚΑ (Greek characters) as you can see also in the following screenshot - yellow circles).

To mount the disk I used the picoreplayer/LMS interface without any parameters.

Name:  USBmount.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  100.1 KB

Extra information:
    I have also an exact copy of my music files in a NAS (Open Media Vault based on Debian Linux). So I made a test scanning of the same directory. As you can see the results were exactly the same.

Name:  OMVscan.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  79.3 KB

If the disk was created / maintained using Windows try the Windows commands (with X: replacing your drive letter) to get the disk specific info.
    [code]
    fsutil fsinfo volumeinfo X:

fsutil 8dot3name query X:
    Name:  cmd1-1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  108.4 KB

I wonder if it needs a locale in the ntfs mount options.

One of the pCP team might well know.

Also - perhaps FAT32 would behave better ... if you can reformat the disk and copy over the contents again.

A way to test would be to put in a small USB stick formatted as FAT32 and then copy some files over to it and mount it in pCP.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

It seems to be the network mount (/mnt/MusicOMV) that is causing the issue, not the attached USB disk (/mnt/Music).

Or perhaps I am misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    It seems to be the network mount (/mnt/MusicOMV) that is causing the issue, not the attached USB disk (/mnt/Music).

Or perhaps I am misunderstanding.
    I think you're right.

You also seemed to have seen a similar problem in this https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post995206

I think you're right.

You also seemed to have seen a similar problem in this https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post995206
    I'd forgotten that.

It might be worth adding iocharset=utf8 to the network drive set up options, i.e to uid=1001,gid=50,iocharset=utf8. I don't know if it will make a difference, I don't have any knowledge of pCP's defaults.

I don't know what charset options should be added to an NTFS local drive, if any.

But, it remains puzzling to me (and to the OP) that the report of the actual file scanned seems to be ok. It would need an examination of the scanner code to understand how that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    But, it remains puzzling to me (and to the OP) that the report of the actual file scanned seems to be ok. It would need an examination of the scanner code to understand how that happens.
    I wonder if we are just looking at a display issue:

In Slim::Utils::Scanner::rescan, the directory name being scanned is converted to "raw" bytes, for some suitably subtle reason. It does appear in the logs in this guise, and may well look rather odd. Perhaps it is also passed up in this "raw" form to the Web UI, where it might look similarly odd.

https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv.../Local.pm#L143

I would need to replicate locally to explore further.

Can the OP confirm that the problem is not with the results of the scan, but just the curious reporting ?