Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Synology Docker LMS Step by Step

Hi,

Here is a step by step tutorial made by Jaca (Thank you!!) : https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ackages/page31

I would like to add some steps that worked for me (and hope for someone else).

Follow the previous steps but do not run the container. (LMS Version 8.2.1). First is some job to do:

Set /config and /playlist as read-write. /music as read-only.

1.- Synology--File Station: Docker folder. Add "Owner" to Full Control On this folder and subfolders. This will allow /config to access the folder. If there is no permission the container will loop reboot.
    2.- Synology--File Station: Docker folder--LMS subfolder. Set owner to "nobody". If "nobody" is missing try with any administrator user
    3.- Synology--File Station-- your music folder: right click on the left panel folder--Properties--Permission: Add "SYSTEM" with "Only-Read" permission to the folder and subfolders. Without this the "music" folder never shows up on the LMS
    4.- Time zone. After make it works you will see than the LMS time is different from your Synology NAS. Stop the container. Add time zone variable on "Environment Variable"
    Variable: TZ
    Value: yo can get it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ase_time_zones
    Example TZ Europe/Madrid

As pinkdot said: "If a packages is stopped the ports are still claimed by that package. You have to uninstall the LMS package in Package Center to be able to use them for your Docker container.
    Ports can only be claimed once! Port 9000 is not in use by any package on your Syno, remember Synology LMS uses port 9002."

So FIRST: unistall LMS Synology Package and reboot.

At last you can run the container (crossfinger) and will work

Some bonus: I have also set up the Spotify. You will see there are many options. Lost many time looking for Repository but simple solution was the right one: Activate the Michael Herger "Spotify" (Just Spotify). It will load the Spotty 4.6.2 and run like a charm.

UPDATING LMS Version: As the LMS runs on a container i guess there is no way to update it and you must to create a new container and set up from scratch. Any way apply the first universal rule: if it works do not touch it.

Thank you Michael and all other Slim Devices Gods. So many years on this following your track.

Gracias!!!

Carlos
    Last edited by CarlosGT; 2021-10-21 at 22:38.

Nice one Carlos,

I did think many times this topic (Docker LMS on Synology) needs its own thread rather then being hidden /spread on others. I'm glad you've created one and included some additional info which helped you. Cheers
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Thanks Carlos!

Today I installed LMS in Docker on a Synology DS920+ (DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 2). As you suggested, I set the permissions before I started the container.

However, there is no user named "nobody" on my system so I cannot set the owner of the LMS subfolder to "nobody". Is this a problem?
    Carsten

I did the same yesterday and all seems to work OK, so I'm happy

Only thinking what to do when I want to update LMS?

Currently running this:
    Logitech Media Server-status
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.1 - 1633378390 @ Mon Oct 4 23:25:45 CEST 2021
    Vńrdnamn: lmscommunity-logitechmediaserver1
    Serverns IP-adress: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    HTTP-serverns portnummer: 9000
    Operativsystem: Debian (Docker) - SV - utf8
    Plattformsarkitektur: x86_64-linux
    Perl-version: 5.32.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 1.02
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.069
    Databasversion: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
    Totalt antal anslutna spelare: 2
    1 x Touch
    1 x Radio
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.1 - 1633378390 @ Mon Oct 4 23:25:45 CEST 2021
    Castbridge with 2 x Harman Kardon Citation One, setup as a stereo pair
    Squeeze Ctrl
    Squeeze Player
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 20

Nobody user missing

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    Thanks Carlos!

Today I installed LMS in Docker on a Synology DS920+ (DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 2). As you suggested, I set the permissions before I started the container.

However, there is no user named "nobody" on my system so I cannot set the owner of the LMS subfolder to "nobody". Is this a problem?
    I have tested it again and my "nobody" user is now missing too (may be when uninstall LMS Synology package is gone, really don┤t know). Just set my admin user as owner and works too.

Carlos

Updating LMS

Quote Originally Posted by T-bird View Post
    I did the same yesterday and all seems to work OK, so I'm happy

Only thinking what to do when I want to update LMS?

As LMS run on a container i guess there is no way to update the LMS and we will must to create a new one and set it from scratch.

There is a Michael thread about this: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...backup-restore

I have no complex set up, so it is more simple to snap shot config screens and clone it on the new version. LMS versions are quite estable, so usually you will run your version for years (i have updated from Synology 7.X version to 8.2.1 on Docker).

Hope this helps (if not, for sure will entertain...)

Carlos

You can actually very easily and quickly update Docker LMS container. At least when running it in host mode.. I assume It will work in bridge mode too but little bit more work.

(Assuming your existing lms container image is dev)

1. In Image tab - Download new dev tagged image
    2. In container tab -
    - stop existing one
    - select it and click on settings => duplicate settings then rename (I add date)
    - edit existing old (disable auto start)
    - start new one
    - delete old one

That's it.. It takes 2min max

(I assume with bridge mode you will have to take note of ports and actually change them on old one as it won't allow for duplicates.. I never tried yet so not sure if it's viable way for bridge mode.)

PS. I do backup automatically every night my LMS config folder
    Last edited by Jaca; 2021-10-07 at 01:42. Reason: Forgot about deleting old container
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaca View Post
    You can actually very easily and quickly update Docker LMS container. At least when running it in host mode.. I assume It will work in bridge mode too but little bit more work.

(Assuming your existing lms container image is dev)

1. In Image tab - Download new dev tagged image
    2. In container tab -
    - stop existing one
    - select it and click on settings => duplicate settings then rename (I add date)
    - edit existing old (disable auto start)
    - start new one
    - delete old one

That's it.. It takes 2min max

(I assume with bridge mode you will have to take note of ports and actually change them on old one as it won't allow for duplicates.. I never tried yet so not sure if it's viable way for bridge mode.)

PS. I do backup automatically every night my LMS config folder
    Thanks, that's handy to have when that time comes for an update (I don't run dev so I only try to find out how to do a normal upgrade)
    And yes it runs in host mode

Thanks to all for information
    1 x Touch
    1 x Radio
    Castbridge with 2 x Harman Kardon Citation One, setup as a stereo pair
    Squeeze Ctrl
    Squeeze Player
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 20

Quote Originally Posted by T-bird View Post
    Thanks, that's handy to have when that time comes for an update (I don't run dev so I only try to find out how to do a normal upgrade)
    And yes it runs in host mode

Thanks to all for information
    Dev tag image was just as example.. Stable tag will work same.. Trick is to use same tag as existing for settings duplication

Just learned from Michael even easier method of updating Docker LMS container on Synology.

1. Download new image from same tag as existing one
    2. Stop existing container
    3. Action => Reset
    4. Re- Start container

That's it. You are now running updated version of tag of your choice.

(As long as your current container is properly set up and has config mapped to NAS Docker folder as per setup instructions )