Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Problem playing DSF files via UPnP

Hi

I am using a RPI4, piCorePlayer & LMS with a usb "iFI Zen Dac V2" and it play natively DSF files up to DSD256, using the LMS web interface.

When I tried to send the same files from my JRiver 28 to the piCorePlayer I donít get any audio, only appears the artwork.

I am using the LMS UPnP/DLNA Media Renderer plugin.

The only way to make them play is to convert the DSF files in the JRiver to PCM16 44.1kHz.

Does anyone have any tip, or solution to play DSF files natively via UPnP.

Thanks

FMatos

Problem playing DSF files via UPnP

Quote Originally Posted by FMatos View Post
    Hi

I am using a RPI4, piCorePlayer & LMS with a usb "iFI Zen Dac V2" and it play natively DSF files up to DSD256, using the LMS web interface.

When I tried to send the same files from my JRiver 28 to the piCorePlayer I donít get any audio, only appears the artwork.

I am using the LMS UPnP/DLNA Media Renderer plugin.

The only way to make them play is to convert the DSF files in the JRiver to PCM16 44.1kHz.

Does anyone have any tip, or solution to play DSF files natively via UPnP.

Thanks

FMatos
    I don't understand - Is it a JRiver question?

[edit] oh I see, this is a UPnP renderer question, I thought it was bridge-related
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-09-30 at 09:50.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I don't understand - Is it a JRiver question?

[edit] oh I see, this is a UPnP renderer question, I thought it was bridge-related
    Yes Philippe

Its a UPnP renderer problem. All Flac files are send to piCorePlayer, without any conversion up to 24 bits 384Khz ( the max my Dac suports), but the Dsf files needs to be converted.

If they are not converted only the artwork is send to the player.

Do you have any solution for this.

Thanks

Fernando

Yes Philippe

Its a UPnP renderer problem. All Flac files are send to piCorePlayer, without any conversion up to 24 bits 384Khz ( the max my Dac suports), but the Dsf files needs to be converted.

If they are not converted only the artwork is send to the player.

Do you have any solution for this.

Thanks

Fernando
    No I don't, sorry - I'm not very familiar with the LMS UPnP renderer plugin, I'm familiar with the general mess that is UPnP. It all depends on the capabilities this LMS plugin is exposing to JRiver. Based on that, it (JRiver) will decide or not to do transcoding.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

No I don't, sorry - I'm not very familiar with the LMS UPnP renderer plugin, I'm familiar with the general mess that is UPnP. It all depends on the capabilities this LMS plugin is exposing to JRiver. Based on that, it (JRiver) will decide or not to do transcoding.
    Philippe

Thank You for yours attention.

But its a pity, the bundle piCorePlayer + LMS have a very nice and funcional interface and lots of features. For me is one of the best solutions for high quality audio for the Raspberry PI.

The other best solutions are Volumio and Moodeaudio; both have a very powerful UPnP renderer, especially Moodeaudio. But its features and interfaces fall far short of those of the pCP + LMS.

THX

Fernando

Philippe

Thank You for yours attention.

But its a pity, the bundle piCorePlayer + LMS have a very nice and funcional interface and lots of features. For me is one of the best solutions for high quality audio for the Raspberry PI.

The other best solutions are Volumio and Moodeaudio; both have a very powerful UPnP renderer, especially Moodeaudio. But its features and interfaces fall far short of those of the pCP + LMS.

THX

Fernando
    What I'm not sure to understand is why you want to send audio to the Pi using UPnP. It feels like you want to do

JRiver using UPnP => LMS' UPnP plugin to turn a SB into a SB renderer => PiCore's Squeezelite => your DAC

Isn't it pretty contorted? If you like LMS's interface, why using JRiver? If you want to use JRiver, why using LMS?

What I'm not sure to understand is why you want to send audio to the Pi using UPnP. It feels like you want to do

JRiver using UPnP => LMS' UPnP plugin to turn a SB into a SB renderer => PiCore's Squeezelite => your DAC

Isn't it pretty contorted? If you like LMS's interface, why using JRiver? If you want to use JRiver, why using LMS?
    Hi Philippe

May be looks a bit contorted, but itís not. Is just a matter of convenience.

I have 2 audio setups. One in my living room with a miniPC with Windows 10 running JRiver, connect via usb to a Pioneer N50A both connected to my home network. The other setup is in my workshop is the RPI4 with the pCP+LMS connected to the iFI Zen Dac V2.

The music files are in a WD NAS.

Normally I use a laptop to work, that runs Windows 10 and another copy of JRiver. So with this I can send also files to the N50A, without the need to turn on the miniPC on my living room.

If the media renderer of the pCP+LMS works with all the music files types as the Pioneer N50A does, it will be not necessary to switch between JRiver and the LMS interface, and I can use only one program to control all the music in my home.

I hope I've been clear on what I'm aiming for, I realize it sounds a little lazy on my part, but it's actually more convenient to work with a single software.

Thanks again for your attention and interest in my problem and I apologize if my English might not be very correct.

Fernando

Hi Philippe

May be looks a bit contorted, but itís not. Is just a matter of convenience.

I have 2 audio setups. One in my living room with a miniPC with Windows 10 running JRiver, connect via usb to a Pioneer N50A both connected to my home network. The other setup is in my workshop is the RPI4 with the pCP+LMS connected to the iFI Zen Dac V2.

Normally I use a laptop to work, that runs Windows 10 and another copy of JRiver. So with this I can send also files to the N50A, without the need to turn on the miniPC on my living room.

If the media renderer of the pCP+LMS works with all the music files types as the Pioneer N50A does, it will be not necessary to switch between JRiver and the LMS interface, and I can use only one program to control all the music in my home.

I hope I've been clear on what I'm aiming for, I realize it sounds a little lazy on my part, but it's actually more convenient to work with a single software.

Thanks again for your attention and interest in my problem and I apologize if my English might not be very correct.

Fernando
    Run Squeezelite on the W10 PC connected to the Pioneer. Control it via the LMS Gui and/or Material on your smartphone.
    You donít need anything else as long as LMS is running and can access your media
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Hi Philippe

May be looks a bit contorted, but it’s not. Is just a matter of convenience.

Fernando
    If you want to send file to the (networked) Pioneer from LMS running on your pCP, just add my UPnP bridge (I assume the N50A is UPnP). It will turn the Pioneer into a SB device, the miniPC is not needed at all, unless you want a UI to control LMS from the living from, but that's basically just a web browser. The RPI4 in your workshop will be controlled the exact same way, using anything that has a web browser. One interface.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Run Squeezelite on the W10 PC connected to the Pioneer. Control it via the LMS Gui and/or Material on your smartphone.
    You donít need anything else as long as LMS is running and can access your media
    Hi Jim

Thanks for your tip, but my problem is not the control of the Pioneer.
    I can control it in several ways, it has a UPnP Media Renderer that gives access to all of the audio formats he can play.
    I can try use Squeezelite/LMS on the miniPC, but that implies that the miniPC must be always turned on.
    I normally only use this miniPC, when I am on the living room listening to music, watching a movie or any other multimedia activity that also need the TV, and in that case the Pioneer is used as USB DAC.
    If I only used it for music, I can control it with is proper remote, or use the Pioneer Control App for Smartphone, or any software that had access to the home network and recognizes UPnP devices, like Foobar, JRiver etc. and also reads the audio files that I use most like FLAC, DSF.

But I will install Squeezelite/LMS on the miniPC, and give it a try.

Thanks