Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Announce: Radio Now Playing plugin

Provides extended track and/or programme information for a variety of radio stations - along with a menu to choose the station to play.

From the Settings you can disable the handling of individual broadcasters.

Current set of broadcasters includes:
    • Juke Radio - adds cover art, year and album (artist and track title available in LMS without the plugin)
    • nova.fr - adds cover art, artist, track and programme name - stations Radio Nova (including Bordeaux and Lyon), Nouvo, Danse, La Nuit, Classics.
      However, little information available for live shows on Radio Nova/Bordeaux/Lyon
    • klassikradio.de - track information without the plugin generally works - however, it is difficult to find the stations - so having this plugin makes it much easier to select a station from the extensive list of around 50. Note - this broadcaster is not limited to classical music. There are also some jazz, rock and world music stations.
    • Českř rozhlas - adds cover art, artist, track, programme name and synopsis.
      A Czech broadcaster with some flac streams - with 3 stations supported - Jazz, Classical (D-dur), Arts oriented talk (in Czech) (Vltava)
    • Naim - add artist and track
      Naim provide a small number of flac streams and have equivalent available as MP3 and AAC.
      The non-flac streams have artist metadata included - but the flac does not. So the plugin adds in the missing data.
    • Linn Radio - add album and low-res cover art
    • RadioBlues Flac
    • Mother Earth Radio
    • Caroline Flashback
    • Radio Espace (Lyon, France) and the related AllZIC Radio
    • Somehow Jazz - artist and title - hi-res of mainly 70s jazz
    • Frequence3 (French FM station with a number of additional web-only themed stations)
    • ZOG ( https://zog.net.au ) - artist, title, album, year
    • Europa Radio Jazz - artist, title, album, duration
    • St. Louis Classic Rock - artist, title, cover art, year
    • Supla Finland - artist, title, programme name - migration from previous dedicated plugin

Background:
    Over the last few years I have made a few plugins to provide information about the currently playing track or programme for some internet radio streams - plus, for a few stations, providing some access to the broadcasters "listen again" information.

Each of my plugins was heavily based on whatever I had released previously (and the very first was based on mherger's DRS plugin).
    This meant lots of similar code doing essentially the same thing leading to a maintenance challenge if an issue was found.

With this plugin I am trying to pull all of the threads back together so that it becomes easier to add support for other radio stations in the future and also for users to be aware when a broadcaster is added to the supported set because the menu will be added to.

There are still many areas that need to be improved including leak through into the settings page of elements from my other plugins that do not yet do anything here.
    In reality this is still a beta - but it works well enough.

Future
    All depending on available time and skill ...
    Migrate my pre-existing plugins into this one
    Add more broadcasters/stations
    DONE in 0.0.7 - Allow end user to disable unwanted broadcasters or stations from the list (so that menu size is reduced)

Adding new broadcasters / stations
    I am happy to consider adding new stations to the list but the chance of it happening depends on many things.
    The first is whether the data is available from the broadcaster - with a strong preference for it being in JSON format and a strong non-preference for only being able to parse a web site.
    The second is for the broadcaster to have multiple stations that all use the same underlying data.
    The third is that there is enough spare time to do it.

Migration from beta
    Some people tried out the beta in various forms while I was developing this. Thanks.
    The plugin is now in the official list of unofficial plugins ... so you should remove the link to my beta repository

Version history
    Code:
    0.0.5 28-Sep-2021 - First published release
    0.0.6 01-Oct-2021 - Add the Cesky rozhlas station - Pohoda - launched 1-Oct-2021
    0.0.7 10-Oct-2021
    		  - Add coverart for RadioBlues Flac and Mother Earth Radio
    		  - Add Caroline Flashback - artist, track and album name
    		  - Add Radio Espace (France / Lyon) and the related AllZIC Radio
    		  - For Cesky rozhlas - add more stations and some extra streams for the pre-existing stations - thanks mipa87
    		  - Add Linn Radio (album name in addition to what LMS already showed) - their cover art is broken so disabled for now
    		  - Allow broadcasters to be suppressed from menu and Now Playing info - requires restart when changing
    0.0.8 12-Oct-2021
    		  - Add Somehow Jazz (artist and title only)
    		  - Add Frequence3 - add coverart (not always present)
    		  - Show cover art for Linn Radio stations (temporary work around until they fix things)
    0.0.9 13-Oct-2021
    		  - Add ZOG
    		  - Add Europa Radio Jazz
    		  - Handle running on installations without Perl HTML::TreeBuilder module
    0.0.10 14-Oct-2021
    		  - Add St. Louis Classic Rock
    0.0.11 19-Oct-2021
    		  - Correct the "Hide Duration" capability
    		  - Explicitly set current_title as used by other applications - but still some related oddities
    		  - Add Supla Finland as a migration from previous dedicated plugin
    Last edited by Paul Webster; 2021-10-19 at 02:39.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Frequence3, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

Thanks for this plugin
    I was listening to Juke Radio (saved as an favourite) when I saw your announcement and installed it directly, and the artwork just pops up without me doing anything

Noted one thing, but probably related to streaming site, metadata and artwork switch 30 seconds before that music starts
    1 x Touch
    1 x Radio
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.1 - 1633378390 @ Mon Oct 4 23:25:45 CEST 2021
    Castbridge with 2 x Harman Kardon Citation One, setup as a stereo pair
    Squeeze Ctrl
    Squeeze Player
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 20

Quote Originally Posted by T-bird View Post
    Noted one thing, but probably related to streaming site, metadata and artwork switch 30 seconds before that music starts
    My guess is that is the flac stream - which has more delays than the other two.
    There is a setting in the plugin to delay things ... but, at the moment it is a single setting for the entire plugin rather than per broadcaster/station/stream ... but, in any case, it relies on the metadata having a scheduled start time present which, for now, Juke Radio does not have so it has no effect here.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Frequence3, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

Yes it's the flac stream, things may change when it's not in test mode, I like it
    1 x Touch
    1 x Radio
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.1 - 1633378390 @ Mon Oct 4 23:25:45 CEST 2021
    Castbridge with 2 x Harman Kardon Citation One, setup as a stereo pair
    Squeeze Ctrl
    Squeeze Player
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 20

Quote Originally Posted by T-bird View Post
    Thanks for this plugin
    I was listening to Juke Radio (saved as an favourite) when I saw your announcement and installed it directly, and the artwork just pops up without me doing anything

I thought changing the delay in the plug-in settings would help but even set to 60 I still saw the artwork 23 seconds before the track started.

Edit. I didn't see the previous couple of posts before posting

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Minor cosmetic point, when running Material Skin, with the darker interfaces/themes (I use "black"), the Radio Now Playing logo appears as a white Question Mark, which looks wrong. I think this is because the logo is radio shape rendered in black with a ? in the centre - the "black" interface means the radio shape doesn't show.

Similarly, the Naim Station top level logo is rendered in black, so with the darker themes it's hard/impossible to read.

Otherwise, all looking good, works well, thanks.
    Location 1: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x3 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

As you have seen ... I'm not good at graphics.

The icon is indeed supposed to be a radio with a question mark in it (meant to imply the listener wants to know what is playing on the radio).

I'll have another go at making it work in Material dark mode. I see an attribute that it can zap so that the colours can be reversed but I probably need to do something with the border/background to make it work properly.
    Paul Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    As you have seen ... I'm not good at graphics.

The icon is indeed supposed to be a radio with a question mark in it (meant to imply the listener wants to know what is playing on the radio).

I'll have another go at making it work in Material dark mode. I see an attribute that it can zap so that the colours can be reversed but I probably need to do something with the border/background to make it work properly.
    All fill and stroke colours should be set to "#000" - then Material will recolour to match theme. Icons should also be monochrome, so no colours or shades of grey. See https://github.com/CDrummond/lms-mat...n-icon-mapping for more info.

If you want I can look at these icons later when I have spare time.

[Edit] Also, https://materialdesignicons.com/ is a good resource for Material style icons which can be downloaded as SVGs. Even if you can't find an exact match sometimes you can make an icon by using bits of other icons I use Inkscape to edit, combine paths, save as SVG, and then use 'scour' to trim down the SVG (removes useless metadata, etc).
    Last edited by cpd73; 2021-09-29 at 00:46.
    Material debug: 1. Launch via http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json (Use http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json,cometd to also see update messages, e.g. play queue) 2. Open browser's developer tools 3. Open console tab in developer tools 4. REQ/RESP messages sent to/from LMS will be logged here.

That is indeed how I did the RadioNowPlaying icon.
    It is in essence a simple radio with a textual "?" added in via Inkscape.

I'll fiddle with it and the Naim one today.
    Paul Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    That is indeed how I did the RadioNowPlaying icon.
    It is in essence a simple radio with a textual "?" added in via Inkscape.

I'll fiddle with it and the Naim one today.
    The naim one should probably be just a square PNG (perhaps light grey background) like the other station logos. (Perhaps they should all be square?)

Also, what about the following SVG?

RadioNowPlaying.zip
    Material debug: 1. Launch via http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json (Use http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json,cometd to also see update messages, e.g. play queue) 2. Open browser's developer tools 3. Open console tab in developer tools 4. REQ/RESP messages sent to/from LMS will be logged here.