Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_heys View Post
    Programs I enjoyed were "All Things Considered" which I think may be still running and "Prairie Home Companion" which I don't think is.

Thanks again

Ian
    Hi Ian

" All Things Considered " is, I think, available as a podcast

Dusty and Lefty retired from the Range a few years ago, but there might be archive material still available

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Hi Ian

" All Things Considered " is, I think, available as a podcast

Dusty and Lefty retired from the Range a few years ago, but there might be archive material still available

ronnie
    Thanks Ronnie, I see from your link that Garrison Keillor is still touring with his "Stories From Lake Wobegon" show.
    Study Server/Player: LMS 8.2.0 on Pi 4B pCp 8.1.0/IQ Audio DAC+
    Refurbished 1962 RCA Stereo Console Player pCp 8.1.0 on Pi4b/IQ Audio DAC+
    LAN Player pCp 8.1.0 on Pi 3B / IQ Audio DAC+
    LAN Player/ADC pCp 8.1.0 on Pi 3B / IQ audio Codec +
    PC Players: x2: Squeezelite on Windows 10 PC.

I've just enabled an additional source for cover art - as part of the plugin's coversearch feature.
    When the plugin is not given cover art by the broadcaster then it goes off to try and find it elsewhere.

You probably will not notice anything different but overall the number of tracks that play without any cover art showing should now be a bit lower.

This is a back-end change so no need to update the plugin.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by ian_heys View Post
    ....On the question of NPR, having lived near Washington DC many years ago I believe that WAMU (American University) was the national base station, and all the other stations picked up their national relay programs from them - but I could be wrong, it is about forty years ago....
    A very minor point, but for the record, there is no NPR flagship station. Unlike the commercial radio networks that used to exist in the USA, NPR does not own or operate any radio stations itself. It provides an extensive schedule of programs, some which are produced by NPR itself, while others are produced by member stations and officially distributed by NPR. In addition, there are many other programs available to NPR member stations, some distributed by other networks (at present, the main one is American Public Media) that also make use of the Public Radio Satellite System, which is administered by NPR but not actually owned by NPR. Other programs are distributed online.

So technically, no other stations are taking a feed from WAMU. Some of the time, WAMU broadcasts a feed from NPR (traveling a few blocks via satellite). Some other stations are broadcasting the same feed from NPR at the same time, but they aren't getting it from WAMU. (Except on very rare occasions when the entire satellite system fails and the network continues to operate through an ad hoc assemblage of point-to-point connections.)

I formerly worked for an NPR member station, but it's been more than ten years since I retired, so some things will have changed in that time. I think the overall structure is still as I have described it.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    A very minor point, but for the record, there is no NPR flagship station.
    Thanks for the clarification Rob, very interesting.
    Study Server/Player: LMS 8.2.0 on Pi 4B pCp 8.1.0/IQ Audio DAC+
    Refurbished 1962 RCA Stereo Console Player pCp 8.1.0 on Pi4b/IQ Audio DAC+
    LAN Player pCp 8.1.0 on Pi 3B / IQ Audio DAC+
    LAN Player/ADC pCp 8.1.0 on Pi 3B / IQ audio Codec +
    PC Players: x2: Squeezelite on Windows 10 PC.

0.0.19e (via non-published beta repo)
    - Add OUIfm (France) and its 20 themed rock channels

OUIfm is a rock outlet and it has one broadcast station (FM and DAB+) - it is the first shown in the list in the plugin.
    It has quite a few adverts on the broadcast station but I have not heard any on the webradio streams.
    I listened to the oddly names "OUI FM ROCK' N FOOD" (yes - that is how they write it) ... and it is indeed rock songs that feature food or drink.
    Fun for a few minutes trying to catch the reference in some of the songs (most are simply in the title) ... but I tuned in a few times over the last couple of days and the same songs turn up a lot so I think they need a few more recommendations for their library.

This is the broadcaster that lead me to adding a 2nd coversearch source.
    They provide a link to cover art but looks like they generate the link without verifying that it will work.
    A good workaround would be for LMS to have a different fallback process so that 2 image links could be provided ... then if the first one fails then LMS would fallback to the other (and tell the player) rather than showing the antenna image.
    One solution would be for the plugin to test to see if the image exists but that would be an extra http request for each track.

However, my simple solution was to force the plugin to do a coversearch lookup for each track (still an extra http request but the code was already there for it) and then have my back-end coversearch function test to see if the image is available before returning the link (yet another http request but done on my website - and it caches the result).

Edit:
    Also - you will see (hd) or (bd) beside the stream links.
    Haut-debit and Bas-debit ... meaning for those on high-bandwidth or low-bandwidth.
    This is the designation that they use in their data.
    However, I might put in a mapping facility later so that all of my station links across the plugin have a more uniform naming convention so that it is easier for the StreamType setting.
    Last edited by Paul Webster; 2022-01-18 at 03:00.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

0.0.19f (via non-published repo)

- Add Tropiques FM (France) and its 11 themed channels ... although they have problems with song metadata accuracy and character set
    - Add KCRW (migrated from previous stand-alone plugin)

I used to walk past this station on the way to the office (when I was on business trips to Santa Monica) and was so tempted to knock on the door and ask for a look around but never did.
    They have a few of their own programmes, in addition to NPR ones - plus a music only station - Eclectic 24
    https://kcrw.com
    Paul Webster

Paul,
    Firstly, thanks for your ongoing development of this plugin, very useful.

Is it possible to add a global tick box in the settings that just displays the highest quality radio feeds?

I know you can filter with a text string (eg. flac, flc, aac, aac-high etc), but there is a big range of possibilities and no consistency across the providers (as obviously they are coming from many diverse sources and present in various formats). I just wondered if you could "automate" the filtering within in the plugin?

The reason I ask is that I had set it up using the text string filter option but a recent server crash necessitated a server rebuild and I hadn't noted down this setting, and now I can't remember what I had set!

Not critical, just a thought.

Thanks for your good work.
    Location 1: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x3 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

Yep ... I have been thinking about having a mapping of provider stream type names to a normalised set ...

highest, high, medium, low (or something like that) then have "highest" as the default.
    Remember though ... the menu is really just for convenience when trying out the various stations.
    My expectation was that Favo(u)rites would be used to store the one you want to listen to.
    Paul Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Remember though ... the menu is really just for convenience when trying out the various stations.
    My expectation was that Favo(u)rites would be used to store the one you want to listen to.
    Ha, I think the problem is you've made the plugin so useful it's become the first port of call 😀
    Location 1: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x3 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control