Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 62 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
    The Jazz Groove: tried the subscriber flac streams, they all work very well like the other ones. Only problem is bandwith at my home as I mentioned, it stutters. That is why I use 256 bps. Very satisfying, again thank you Paul.
    3xPi3B-7" | pCP 7.0.1 | LMS 8.2.1 | Transporter | 2xTouch | 2xClassic | 2xRadio | Boom | iPeng

Paul, Radio Now Playing has become a very useful tool. Thanks for all you have done. I have a few requests that I hope you will consider adding, although I realize that you need to be wary about overloading the plugin.

https://www.yourclassical.org/listen

This site has a number of "curated" streams, but I have not tried to extract stream urls from the page, so I don't know if it's feasible. (Two are listed on Community Radio browser, https://www.radio-browser.info) The one of greatest interest is the one they call YourClassical Radio. So far as I can tell, it is identical to a syndicated service called Classical 24. (A good counterpoint to Jazz 24.) Additional metadata for C24 (including album IDs) is on this page: https://www.classical24.org

You've added a number of good US radio stations, but they seem all to be in the midwest or on the west coast! If you would be willing to add something that runs on a schedule that fits those of us on the east side:

https://www.wbgo.org/how-to-listen-online

New York (actually Newark, NJ) jazz; provides stream links.

https://www.wqxr.org/streams/

New York's oldest classical station... if you can determine the stream urls. Some are listed on the Community Radio browser.

I would really like to see these added to the plugin, but....

I think if you continue to add more streams to the plugin, it will soon become necessary to impose some sort of hierarchical structure on the data. That may be a good reason to avoid adding any more for now.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

I just had a quick look ...

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    yourclassical.org metadata looks like it would be hard to get. However, I have not checked the individual streams yet.

This one should be possible (both stations).
    They use the NPR "composer" API that I have successfully used for other stations.

Programme names should be possible - but the tracks might be too hard (they are HTML not JSON or XML).
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Beta 0.0.24a
    - Add WBGO (Programme name synopsis, artist name, track title, album and duration plus cover (coversearch) and related The Jazz Bee add cover (coversearch) plus reformat to get track title and album

Was not as easy as I hoped because, while they do use the NPR API for WBGO and they look like they use it for "The Jazz Bee" (their HD2 channel) ... it looks like they do not provide any song info to NPR for inclusion so they do not show song info via that API. You can see that on their web player if you switch stations and let it play.

However, they do put song info in the metadata of the stream for the HD2 station ... so I get it from there.
    They are a bit non-standard in that they show
    artist - album - title
    which LMS by default would treat as
    artist - title
    so the album name would appear as part of the track title.
    Therefore I parse it differently.

I add cover art for both stations via coversearch as they do not provide any.

I delayed making this available until they started their daytime broadcasting - because WBGO had no song info when I was looking earlier today.
    Therefore do not expect song details to appear during their overnight period.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Beta 0.0.24b
    - Add Classical24 - artist (first of orchestra or soloist or artist), title, album, label plus art via coversearch

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it was not practical to get the track information from yourclassical.org
    However, as was pointed out, their primary stream comes from Classical24 ... and they do have the currently playing track information available via JSON.
    So that is what I am using.

There are the usual issues with trying to show information about classical tracks in LMS.
    LMS wants artist, title, album, year. Some are easy but "artist" is tricky.
    So I have taken the following approach.
    There are a few fields available in the source data so I look for the first non-empty of orchestra or soloist or artist.
    I could have included composer ... but if I use the composer as the artist name then there is less chance of the cover art lookup being correct.

I have done soloist before artist because Classical24 has a habit of putting the instrument at the end of the artist field and seems to do that less in the soloist field ... however, I do not have a lot of historical data to verify this approach with.

Next step is to take a look at the other streams available on YourClassical to see if they might be possible to include.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Beta 0.0.24a
    - Add WBGO (Programme name synopsis, artist name, track title, album and duration plus cover (coversearch) and related The Jazz Bee add cover (coversearch) plus reformat to get track title and album

Was not as easy as I hoped because, while they do use the NPR API for WBGO and they look like they use it for "The Jazz Bee" (their HD2 channel) ... it looks like they do not provide any song info to NPR for inclusion so they do not show song info via that API. You can see that on their web player if you switch stations and let it play.

I delayed making this available until they started their daytime broadcasting - because WBGO had no song info when I was looking earlier today.
    Therefore do not expect song details to appear during their overnight period.

Many thanks, Paul! I had WBGO going for about an hour earlier. For the graveyard shift, my guess is that they may be using a syndicated service, instead of producing it in-house, and metadata is not provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Beta 0.0.24b
    - Add Classical24 - artist (first of orchestra or soloist or artist), title, album, label plus art via coversearch

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it was not practical to get the track information from yourclassical.org
    However, as was pointed out, their primary stream comes from Classical24 ... and they do have the currently playing track information available via JSON.
    So that is what I am using.

Next step is to take a look at the other streams available on YourClassical to see if they might be possible to include.
    I just now found that you had added C24. Again, many thanks! The low bitrate is a shame, but it mostly sounds okay for background. I don't think you need to put a lot of effort into the other YourClassical streams or WQXR, but if anything does work out, it will be welcome.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Beta 0.0.24c
    Add TSF Jazz - artist, title, duration and cover (augmented by coversearch)

Note - they have quite long advert breaks and no song details during "live" sessions.
    Paul Webster

This isn't strictly a Radio Now Playing question, but it's as a consequence of using it (plus I don't know where else to post this).

Is there a way on the player or with iPeng or with the default web interface or with Material Skin to show the source of what's playing? For example, if it's, say, Jazz 24 that's playing?

I ask because if one day I've been trying out various stations from RNP, the next morning the player will kick off again on the most recent one I tried... but I can't see a way of identifying which station/feed that is that I'm listening to. It would be nice to know.

Have I've missed something obvious on the player or with iPeng/web/Material?

When you cannot see if in the regular interface it is probably because there is an album name or programme synopsis ... and it is displayed in the place where the station name would otherwise be shown.

You should be able to usually, not always, see something representing the name of the station in the stream URL - which you can see in Default skin via "M" for More.

I'll take a look to see if I can add it in a custom field under More.
    Paul Webster

Yes, the URL slot certainly cracks it for this morning's instance (turns out it was Radio France-FIP Jazz), though I imagine there could be instances where the URL will be opaque. Thanks for the tip!