Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LMS 8.2.0 keeps saying it's starting, but then stops

I had 8.1 I think installed, and everything was working fine, until I just rebooted my Windows 7 computer. After reboot, I could not get LMS to start. It kept saying it was starting, and would sometimes even briefly appear in the Windows Task Manager, but would always stop. I did this as administrator, and also tried in Safe Mode. I made sure I was signed in to mysb.com.

So I upgraded to 8.2.0 but the exact same thing -- says starting, but won't stay running more than a few seconds.

Help much appreciated. Thanks.

Try 8.2.1 and if still not working then check the server.log and if still not clear then try running it from a CMD session to see if anything is output to the console.

Perhaps local firewall is preventing it from opening a port to listen on - triggered by the executable image changing.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Try 8.2.1 and if still not working then check the server.log and if still not clear then try running it from a CMD session to see if anything is output to the console.

Perhaps local firewall is preventing it from opening a port to listen on - triggered by the executable image changing.
    Thanks for your quick reply. It's above my level of expertise.

To start off with your initial suggested steps:

Where do I get 8.2.1? I got 8.2.0 from mysqueezebox.com.

Where would the server log be if I can't open LMS? I would not know how to read the server log.

I don't know what this means: "try running it from a CMD session to see if anything is output to the console."

Thanks.

LMS 8.2.0 keeps saying it'sstarting, but then stops

> I don't know what this means: "try running it from a CMD session to see
    > if anything is output to the console."

You'll find SqueezeSvr.exe in c:\program files\Squeezebox or similar.
    Tell Explorer to find it for you. Then open a command window (run
    cmd.exe), change to that folder and run SqueezeSvr.exe from that command
    window.

--

8.2.1 is at http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...ex.php?ver=8.2

Try temporarily disabling the local firewall(s) and then start LMS and and see if it works.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    8.2.1 is at http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...ex.php?ver=8.2

Try temporarily disabling the local firewall(s) and then start LMS and and see if it works.
    I'm using Norton 360 and disabled its firewall and checked the Windows 7 firewall was also off, but the problem still exists.

I'll try 8.2.1 next. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by basslover View Post
    I'm using Norton 360 and disabled its firewall and checked the Windows 7 firewall was also off, but the problem still exists.

I'll try 8.2.1 next. Thanks.
    8.2.1 didn't help.

How do I find the server log. Can I then post it here because I won't understand it.

I ran it and it says something about the database image being malformed. Here are three .pngs of what it says (there is some overlap between the second and third images.Name:  firstdosscreenalmlagkphlaodfne.png
Views: 62
Size:  170.6 KBName:  second dos screeencfpebaipmffopnhn.jpg
Size:  188.3 KBName:  thirddosscreendbnnkflnfaaehpdh.png
Size:  175.8 KB

I don't know where the LMS server.log file is in MS Windows.
    Hopefully someone who runs it on Windows can answer.

Are you using the LMS control application (small LMS icon in the pop-up area in the Windows task bar)?
    If yes - right click on it and run it as admin.

This provides an interface to some of the settings - and in "Advanced" it can show the log file.
    Clicking the button should launch a text editor on the file.

Yes - you can post an extract from it here.
    Probably just the last few lines are all that are needed (if the answer is there ... which is not certain).
    Paul Webster