Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It's not so much whether you know Linux. The issue here is that your NAS provider found some way to make LMS run on a different version of Perl than the system itself, thus preventing module version conflicts between the two Perl apps. This means that if you run the buildme.sh script you need to be using the Perl version from LMS and so you will need to investigate how that Perl version is started to set your system path accordingly for running buildme.sh and you will need to let it build everything in that folder or it won't work.

An alternative would be to upgrade the Perl version used by LMS but you can't simply copy the one that is already part of your system because Perl has it's system library paths hard coded inside and it will look and possibly find modules used by your NAS operating system before the intended ones in the LMS installation. Check the value of `config_args` returned by the command `perl -V` (the perl executable in the LMS 7.7.2 package) to find how you should compile a newer version.

In my view your best option is to start from scratch. Delete the whole thing, unpack the noCPAN version, complete the buildme.sh routine from the slim-vendor repo and try starting LMS in debug/console mode. If you see any messages about `wrong version`, `expecting version...` etc, make a backup of your LMS installation and enter your system's perl library folders(s) (e.g. /usr/lib/perl/${version}, (/usr/lib/perl/${version}/${arch}, /usr/lib/perl/vendor_perl/${version}, /usr/lib/perl/vendor_perl/${version}/${arch}). Now for every file you find in there delete every matching file it has inside the LMS installation (i.e. `find -type f -exec rm -f ${LMS}/{} ${LMS}/arch/${version}/{} \. Now there is a chance that you may have deleted some files to which LMS has a strict version dependency, so go into the backup folder and restore the content of every folder named `DBIx` that you find in there. That's it, LMS should complete startup when you retry running it in debug mode.

Quote Originally Posted by viperrabbit View Post
    Hi Huey, I am totally new to Linux. Some of my questions are going to sound stupid. Please pardon me.

I have installed the Docker-ce and Portainer in the Asustor NAS. I don't understand what files should go into the lms container, how to "run the lms container", what to do next. Can you show me the steps, please? Thank you.
    You use volumes to "add" files to your docker container, most importantly your music library, and possibly playlist files. These can and should be shares on your NAS. Also the container needs to write the config of LMS to disk. These are also volumes and can be shares you allocate to it, or let docker create volumes itself. Portainer lets use fill in all config fields like ports etc to create a proper config.

You do not need to use portainer: you can also just run it in "bare" docker:

There is a whole thread on dockerized LMS. Basically if you installed the packages I told you and created folders for your config files and where your music lives you could just use this: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...for-LMS/page47
    This post basically give you all needed config, but your own share locations, to start and run your LMS.

The first 3 -v (volume) parameters point to the folders you need to create on your NAS to host the files (you can as said omit them except ofcourse your music location, to let docker create them somewhere for you but I would advise against that).
    If you installed the portainer package you would find the then running container in there for easier point and click administration.

If unfamiliar with linux I think using the docker plugin and running the LMS container in this docker is wiser than messing about on your NAS with packages etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Huey11 View Post
    You use volumes to "add" files to your docker container, most importantly your music library, and possibly playlist files. These can and should be shares on your NAS. Also the container needs to write the config of LMS to disk. These are also volumes and can be shares you allocate to it, or let docker create volumes itself. Portainer lets use fill in all config fields like ports etc to create a proper config.

You do not need to use portainer: you can also just run it in "bare" docker:

There is a whole thread on dockerized LMS. Basically if you installed the packages I told you and created folders for your config files and where your music lives you could just use this: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...for-LMS/page47
    This post basically give you all needed config, but your own share locations, to start and run your LMS.

The first 3 -v (volume) parameters point to the folders you need to create on your NAS to host the files (you can as said omit them except ofcourse your music location, to let docker create them somewhere for you but I would advise against that).
    If you installed the portainer package you would find the then running container in there for easier point and click administration.

If unfamiliar with linux I think using the docker plugin and running the LMS container in this docker is wiser than messing about on your NAS with packages etc.

Thank you very much. Let me try and update.

I followed the steps in the link you gave above and encountered an error.

admin@10G-NAS:/volume1 $ sudo docker run \
    > --name logitech-media-server \
    > --restart=unless-stopped \
    > --net=host \
    > -v "/volume1/Docker/LMS/Config":"/Config":rw \
    > -v "/volume1/Docker/LMS/Playlist":"/Playlist":rw \
    > -v "/etc/TZ":"/etc/timezone":ro \
    -v "/etc/localtime":"/etc/localtime":ro \
    > -v "/etc/localtime":"/etc/localtime":ro \
    > -p 9000:9000/tcp \
    > -p 9090:9090/tcp \
    > -p 3483:3483/tcp \
    > -p 3483:3483/udp \
    > -e PGID=65537 \
    > -e PUID=1029 \
    > lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:stable
    Password:
    Unable to find image 'lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:stable' locally
    stable: Pulling from lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver
    f8416d8bac72: Pull complete
    eadd528936dd: Pull complete
    dbb79c5caac3: Pull complete
    fc4d25503bb1: Pull complete
    23d1d2f3eb62: Pull complete
    aa7b67271f2a: Pull complete
    4f50e4d6344c: Pull complete
    d147c1793f79: Pull complete
    Digest: sha256:e47461d681d226176bb250d429a04054e2c0ff8f568 f742bdc733a3ea8c32e02
    Status: Downloaded newer image for lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:stable
    WARNING: Published ports are discarded when using host network mode
    docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:370: starting container process caused: process_linux.go:459: container init caused: rootfs_linux.go:59: mounting "/etc/TZ" to rootfs at "/volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/docker-ce/docker_lib/overlay2/1b047e7f9f0850fc13c9c563864323db1816f3e1b1ac74cf96 c6703ba274ae4b/merged/etc/timezone" caused: not a directory: unknown: Are you trying to mount a directory onto a file (or vice-versa)? Check if the specified host path exists and is the expected type.
    ERRO[0044] error waiting for container: context canceled

When I navigate to the folder, "merged/etc/timezone" does not exist.

admin@10G-NAS:/volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/docker-ce/docker_lib/overlay2/1b047e7f9f0850fc13c9c563864323db1816f3e1b1ac74cf96 c6703ba274ae4b $ ls
    diff/ link lower work/
    Last edited by viperrabbit; 2021-09-27 at 18:58.

Ignore the previous post. I finally got it to work!!! Removed the line "-v "/etc/TZ":"/etc/timezone":ro ". Wow, this is much simpler than I thought. Thank you everyone for your invaluable hints and guidance. Thank you, Huey for your last post which nailed it!

sudo docker run \
    --name logitech-media-server \
    --restart=unless-stopped \
    --net=host \
    -v "/volume1/Docker/LMS/config":"/config":rw \
    -v "/volume1/Music/Music Library":"/music":ro \
    -v "/volume1/Docker/LMS/playlist":"/playlist":rw \
    -v "/etc/localtime":"/etc/localtime":ro \
    -p 9000:9000/tcp \
    -p 9090:9090/tcp \
    -p 3483:3483/tcp \
    -p 3483:3483/udp \
    -e PGID=65537 \
    -e PUID=1029 \
    lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:stable
    Last edited by viperrabbit; 2021-09-27 at 21:54.

Hi great. Sorry the timezone path is indeed different on asustor. Will check for you when at home

Ah, indeed: your command is looking good.

Not sure about de puid (=uid user running the docker) matching a user known on your nas, but as long as it works and can access and write files on your shares it is ok.
    Last edited by Huey11; 2021-09-28 at 04:10.

Hi great. Sorry the timezone path is indeed different on asustor. Will check for you when at home

Ah, indeed: your command is looking good.

Not sure about de puid (=uid user running the docker) matching a user known on your nas, but as long as it works and can access and write files on your shares it is ok.

All good. It's working now and that's all that matters. Thank you again for your help.

All good. It's working now and that's all that matters. Thank you again for your help.
    Hi guys, picking your brains again. How do you upgrade to the latest version 8.3.0?

Need help.

I robooted my NAS and now I am unable to connect to LMS [IP address of NAS]:9000. Using putty, how do you (a) check whether LMS service is running, (b) if not running, how do you start the service, (c) how to start LMS service every time NAS is rebooted?

Thanks in advance.

Need help.

I robooted my NAS and now I am unable to connect to LMS [IP address of NAS]:9000. Using putty, how do you (a) check whether LMS service is running, (b) if not running, how do you start the service, (c) how to start LMS service every time NAS is rebooted?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi, it stopped due toyour reboot. You can change the “unless-stopped” to “always”. I think it then restarts even after reboot. I really recommend to look at the portainer plugin as well. Easy gui to manage your dockers. Recreate option in portainer with pull latest image, will update your version to the latest available image of your tag.

Regards,