Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Request: KEF LSX/LS-50 Control Via Squeezebox

Hi all,

I currently use @Aesculus 's excellent Denon AVR plug-in to activate my Denon Receiver in my main room, via a Squeezebox Touch.

In my office, I have a pair of KEF LSX speakers, and would love similar functionality with those.
    It would mean a SBT and the LSX would be all I need, and I wouldn't have to dig out the KEF app or IR remote to turn them on and select the right input.

The speakers have been integrated into Home Assistant, and code is available there.
    Unfortunately, doing anything with this information is beyond my abilities...
    https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/kef/
    https://github.com/home-assistant/co...components/kef

If anyone were to be so kind as to look at this, I'd be happy to guinea-pig any implementation..

I've done a bit more reading on this, and after installing linux I have basic control over my LSX via wifi, using commands like this:

echo -ne "\x53\x30\x81\x12\x0b" > /dev/tcp/my speakers IP address/50001 - On
    echo -ne "\x53\x30\x81\x9b\x0b" > /dev/tcp/my speakers IP address/50001 - Off
    echo -ne "\x53\x30\x81\x1b\x00" > /dev/tcp/my speakers IP address/50001 - Switch To Optical Input
    etc..

Am I barking up the wrong tree in thinking this could be emulated in LMS?

There's a long thread here where they sniffed all the codes:

https://community.home-assistant.io/...less/70269/134

Does the UPNP DLNA plugin work? Looks like the KEFs should be compatible.
    Own music plus Qobuz, PC, UPNP/DLNA bridge, JRiver as digital XO
    System 1: Lynx AES16, 5x SMSL DACs, various amps, 5 way horns
    System 2: Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sixtant, Heybrook Sextet
    3xBoom, 1xRadio

Quote Originally Posted by adamslim View Post
    Does the UPNP DLNA plugin work? Looks like the KEFs should be compatible.
    I have used it with LSXs, but I had problems with it failing to move on to the next track - not all the time, but often enough to be a nuisance. I did read the documentation and tried various configurations, but I was never able to resolve it satisfactorily. If anyone comes up with a reliable solution I'd love to get it working.

And it wouldnĺt control power and source input, in a similar way to the Denon app, which would be a real boon to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Budge74 View Post
    And it wouldnĺt control power and source input, in a similar way to the Denon app, which would be a real boon to me.
    Starting a DLNA stream to the LSXs switches them on here, and while you can't switch them off directly I'm sure you know they will switch themselves off after a period of inactivity (unless you tell them not to in the Kef settings).

Starting a DLNA stream will also cause the LSXs to switch to WiFi and start playing that stream, so you can automatically switch source to DLNA from whatever it was playing previously. You can't use the bridge to switch away from WiFi, obviously.

This thread has prompted me to reinstall the bridge and give it another go, and despite what I said earlie, I've been using it for the past couple of hours without a single hiccup. Perhaps things have moved on since I last tried it, and that's very handy for exactly the reasons you gave - no need for the remote, or the Kef app, LMS does it all.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebaggs View Post
    Starting a DLNA stream to the LSXs switches them on here, and while you can't switch them off directly I'm sure you know they will switch themselves off after a period of inactivity (unless you tell them not to in the Kef settings).

Starting a DLNA stream will also cause the LSXs to switch to WiFi and start playing that stream, so you can automatically switch source to DLNA from whatever it was playing previously. You can't use the bridge to switch away from WiFi, obviously.

This thread has prompted me to reinstall the bridge and give it another go, and despite what I said earlie, I've been using it for the past couple of hours without a single hiccup. Perhaps things have moved on since I last tried it, and that's very handy for exactly the reasons you gave - no need for the remote, or the Kef app, LMS does it all.
    Ah, my bad.
    Would you mind sharing your settings to give me a head start in getting this going?

Quote Originally Posted by Budge74 View Post
    Ah, my bad.
    Would you mind sharing your settings to give me a head start in getting this going?
    I did a reinstall so I assume it's the default settings. I didn't try doing any specific settings this time and it carried on working OK last night (haven't used it today). I've scraped the settings screen into the attached text file - the layout isn't quite the same as the page you see in Settings, but it should all be there.
    Attached Files Attached Files