Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Using Replaygain for playlist - slightly OT

Okay, this is retro in the days of Spotify, acknowledged. But I need to do this, trust me.

I am creating playlists, with the files to be on physical media (i.e. flash drives). I am creating the playlists with Winamp (remember that?), and exporting the files with AMOK. The assembled files will be a mix of flac, mp3 and aac. I'll be converting them all to mp3-320, ultimately for export to my flash drives which will be played in the excellent system in my old car.

Unfortunately, this mix of eclectic files is at a wide range of volume levels. I would like to fix this. The question is, how can I best apply ReplayGain to each playlist folder?

I have various utilities, including dbPoweramp and Foobar. The objective is to add RG adjustments BEFORE copying to the flash drives, as my car player cannot deal with RG values. The files need to be already adjusted.

When I convert using dbP, can I invoke RPG at the time? Or do I need to do something else with dbP or FB?

What's my best process?

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Unfortunately, this mix of eclectic files is at a wide range of volume levels. I would like to fix this. The question is, how can I best apply ReplayGain to each playlist folder?

I have various utilities, including dbPoweramp and Foobar. The objective is to add RG adjustments BEFORE copying to the flash drives, as my car player cannot deal with RG values. The files need to be already adjusted.

When I convert using dbP, can I invoke RPG at the time? Or do I need to do something else with dbP or FB?
    mp3gain can apply RG to mp3s (without re-encoding) and can work on multiple files.
    I've written a python script which reads a m3u playlist, converts the referenced files to mp3 (using ffmpeg), runs mp3gain on them, and copies them to any destination (path, e.g. flash drive)
    Not sure if this fits your use case (also, untested on Windows)
    Various SW: Web Interface | Text Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | Ambient Noise Mixer | DB Optimizer | Image Enhancer | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Okay, this is retro in the days of Spotify, acknowledged. But I need to do this, trust me.

I am creating playlists, with the files to be on physical media (i.e. flash drives). I am creating the playlists with Winamp (remember that?), and exporting the files with AMOK. The assembled files will be a mix of flac, mp3 and aac. I'll be converting them all to mp3-320, ultimately for export to my flash drives which will be played in the excellent system in my old car.

What's my best process?

R.
    For this kind of stuff I use MediaMonkey. It allows you to do all that in one fell swoop, even allowing you to set a target dB for the volume adjustment. High-level workflow is as follows:
    • Connect flash drive to your PC
    • Set synchronisation parameters for it in MediaMonkey
    • Create playlist (I usually set it to a random subset of my collection to flash drive capacity)
    • Sync playlist to flash drive

I seem to remember that the free version allows this, but I'm no longer 100% certain as I have a lifetime license since December 2010 already I'd advise you to use the v4 though, I find v5 not to be very user friendly, and a lot of the excellent v4 community plugins haven't been ported over (yet)
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

I see that dbPoweramp will do this with the DSP Replay Gain Apply, or the DSP Volume Normalize. Since I already use dbP that makes the most sense for me.

Anyone used these?

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Not too long ago I had a similar question. See this thread;
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ck-My-Thinking
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.2.0 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.2.0 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)