Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Drop outs, drop out, drop outs...

Just can┤t seem to get rid of them.

Every 15 -20 minute a short, 0,2-0,3 sec., drop out. Not much, you can say. But to me, it┤s annoying as hell, just sitting there waiting for the next one, instead of enjoying the music.
    Sometimes it seems the sound is a little distorted too...

The drop outs, or sometimes clicks, appears both when i┤m streaming internet radio and when i play music from my local server.
    Regardless of format.

The digital front end consists of modem and router wired to a switch, that is wired to a RPI4b/pCP8 LMS 8.1 server with SSD (Squeezelite turned off) and a RPI4b/pCP8 streaming client (LMS not installed).
    A RPI3b client is also on the network.

Here┤s what i┤ve been trying:

Restarting, resetting and updating modem and router.

Checking ethernet cables and connectors.

Checking all ac and dc power cords.

Several different power supplys on modem, router, switch, server and streaming clients.

Reinstalling pCP software on fresh sd-cards. Both server and streaming clients.

A lot of different ALSA and buffer size settings.

Turning off LEDs and unused ports just to save power.

Checking, DAC, pre and power amp.

Anyone who have experienced the same issue and found a solution?

Any ideas on how to effectively say bye bye to these glitches are more than welcome.

On your pCP player device - what do you have in the various audio and buffering settings on the Squeezelite page?

What is the interface between pCP player and the audio chain?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Frequence3, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

I haven't experienced these personally, but the fact they happen even with internet radio tells me this has nothing to do with power, CPU load or ALSA tweaks, because of the low data rates involved here. Most likely 128k/192k mp3 streams, even 15y-old electronics can play these without any strain.

Throwing a few random thoughts:
    • Can you check that you are not attempting to convert/resample the streams in LMS?
    • Is your local network very busy?
    • No wifi involved if I understand correctly?
    • Do you trust your network switch?

Have you tried to run LMS without the SSD, just as a test? With internet streams I mean. I don't expect the SSD to cause troubles but in these weird situations, it's always good to double check every potential source of issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    On your pCP player device - what do you have in the various audio and buffering settings on the Squeezelite page?

What is the interface between pCP player and the audio chain?
    The interface is S/Pdif coax through an Allo Digione Signature and the audio and buffering settings are the std recommended for Digione.
    I have tried a lot of different settings though. But to no avail.

Have you tried eliminating the switch? Try the Pi running LMS directly into the router?
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by truscellino View Post
    I haven't experienced these personally, but the fact they happen even with internet radio tells me this has nothing to do with power, CPU load or ALSA tweaks, because of the low data rates involved here. Most likely 128k/192k mp3 streams, even 15y-old electronics can play these without any strain.

Throwing a few random thoughts:
    • Can you check that you are not attempting to convert/resample the streams in LMS?
    • Is your local network very busy?
    • No wifi involved if I understand correctly?
    • Do you trust your network switch?

Have you tried to run LMS without the SSD, just as a test? With internet streams I mean. I don't expect the SSD to cause troubles but in these weird situations, it's always good to double check every potential source of issue.
    The drop outs are there regardless of format. Low rate mp3 up to high res 192/24.

No conversion or resampling that i am aware of.
    Network is not busy. Router and cabling should be able to do the trick. We have a gamer in the house. Even if i turn off everything that is not related to the music system, the problem is still there.
    No wifi apart from a tablet with Material Skin to control the music.
    I think the switch is ok. Flawless and fast internet, when i connect a laptop to it. I will try to hook the system without the switch and see if it help. And also try to disconnect the SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Have you tried eliminating the switch? Try the Pi running LMS directly into the router?
    Will give it a try

Since it resumes all by itself, I'd suggest increasing the buffer sizes that Squeezelite uses to see if that increases the time between pauses or makes the pauses shorter or even eliminates them.
    If the problem goes away than you can decide whether or not it is worth investigating further at your leisure.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Frequence3, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

Quote Originally Posted by dkskl View Post
    The interface is S/Pdif coax through an Allo Digione Signature and the audio and buffering settings are the std recommended for Digione.
    Actually another possible test is to remove temporarily the Allo Digione and route the audio differently, for example via the mini jack on the Pi (your ears will love that )... if the dropouts disappear then you know where to focus...

Quote Originally Posted by dkskl View Post
    I'm intrigued by this as I have the same device and no drop outs

I'm not aware of any settings recommended for the Digi Sig, do you care to share ?

I just use default settings

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n "DigioneSignature" -o hw:CARD=sndallodigione -a 80:4::1:
    rpi3B+, Ethernet to a switch, 32 bit standard pCP

DigioneSignature | piCorePlayer v8.0.0 | www v00016 | linux 5.10.42-pcpCore-v7 (32) | piCore v13.0 | Squeezelite v1.9.9-1386-pCP
    ronnie