Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    mmm... hard to make any sense of this... so by pulling the ethernet cable, you have disconnected LMS from internet, basically. That could be another root cause. It could be interesting to monitor LMS activity (on the server machine obviously) when drop-outs occur.
    If there is a happy gamer in the household, your networking hardware must be fine so I am not convinced it's a router issue.

Quote Originally Posted by truscellino View Post
    mmm... hard to make any sense of this... so by pulling the ethernet cable, you have disconnected LMS from internet, basically. That could be another root cause. It could be interesting to monitor LMS activity (on the server machine obviously) when drop-outs occur.
    If there is a happy gamer in the household, your networking hardware must be fine so I am not convinced it's a router issue.
    Yes, when disconnecting the cable the LMS, client and switch are isolated from the local network and the internet. Not the best solution though, as i canīt start, stop or change music.
    Again, i havenīt got the slightest idea of what happens and wonīt rule out randomness. But it must be close to two months since i last heard a full album without skips. And now three albums in a row...

Iīd be more than happy to share some LMS monitoring, but i would need a lot of guidance

No complaints at all from our gamer

Ah, never had to do that on PicorePlayer... I am not even sure what tools are installed by default for monitoring. Hopefully someone can step in with good advice.

An easy one to start, is to ssh into the machine with LMS running, and run the top command while music is streaming. CPU usage should not peak towards 100% of capacity. Simply playing an album or streaming a radio are not CPU-intensive tasks so levels should be very low.

Once this is done, networking should be checked... here I am not sure about what's available on PcP...

Ah, never had to do that on PicorePlayer... I am not even sure what tools are installed by default for monitoring. Hopefully someone can step in with good advice.

An easy one to start, is to ssh into the machine with LMS running, and run the top command while music is streaming. CPU usage should not peak towards 100% of capacity. Simply playing an album or streaming a radio are not CPU-intensive tasks so levels should be very low.

Once this is done, networking should be checked... here I am not sure about what's available on PcP...
    The new fiber box was installed today and as expected, it didn't have any impact on the issue. Still dropouts.

Ok. Just opened a ssh session.

This is when a track is loading:

Name:  Start of track.PNG
Views: 92
Size:  7.5 KB

And when a track is playing:

Name:  Track playing.PNG
Views: 91
Size:  5.9 KB

That doesn't look right to me.

99.8% CPU for niced processes, almost 0% CPU idle... just to play a simple song.
    I don't have any RPi in running order right now to do the same and compare. Hopefully someone can?

A couple of more questions:
    1. What are these processes that take CPU? top provides a list that by default is sorted by CPU% so it's easy to check
    2. I guess you could ssh into your LMS server and then disconnect it from the router? In that case, would you get similar results when you run 'top'?

Looks like the number comes before the label not after it.
    If so then this is 99.8% idle
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Frequence3, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

That doesn't look right to me.

99.8% CPU for niced processes, almost 0% CPU idle... just to play a simple song.
    I don't have any RPi in running order right now to do the same and compare. Hopefully someone can?

A couple of more questions:
    1. What are these processes that take CPU? top provides a list that by default is sorted by CPU% so it's easy to check
    2. I guess you could ssh into your LMS server and then disconnect it from the router? In that case, would you get similar results when you run 'top'?
    Like Paul Webster, i see it as 99.8% idle..
    I did look at the list, but nothing seemed to be alarming. I'll open a new session tomorrow and post it.
    Hmm. If i disconnect LMS from the router, it will be disconnected from my laptop as well and i won't be able to see the running processes, i believe.

Anyway, i regret to say it, but i was much to optimistic yesterday. There are STILL dropouts, when i pull the cable that goes into the switch. So the router is probably not the culprit, i guess.

I have given the output from the headphone jack a try. I have to be very careful now, but i haven't detected any dropouts after listening for about an hour, so...

Sorry yes my mistake

CPU mostly idle, as expected... makes more sense. Back to the Allo as potential root cause then...

Ok. Just to rule out, that it is the RPI 4B board having a bug, i mounted the Digi Sig hat on my 3B+ aaaand...... Instant dropouts!

Back to the 4B headphone and after two hours of perfect playback, the root cause likely SEEMS to stem from the hat or maybe, just maybe from the pCP software...
    I have been in touch with Allo support. The advice from them, is that i give Moode software a try. Will do.

For some strange reason (to me), i wasn't able to flash a working version of Moode to a micro sd.
    No such trouble with Volumio though, so i tried that instead.
    But more or less as expected, there were still dropouts. I guess it is now safe to conclude, the pCP software is not the root cause to the issue.

As a last shot, I have ordered a BNC/RCA adapter. And if that doesn't do the trick, the Digi Sig hat will be off to Allo for repair.