Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    40

    Flac Metadata is driving me mad!

    I have a whole bunch of .flac files and most are fine. However, a few are driving me mad!

    I am using the Squeezer app to play them via a music server running LMS.

    The issue I have is that in the "Album Artist" list then I get artists listed that I do not want! For instance, I have "Kin" by "Pat Metheny Unity Group". In the metadata I have set the Artist to "Pat Metheny" so that it is grouped with the other albums of his that I have.

    However, "Pat Metheny Unity Group" appears in the list and I cannot work out why.

    I have used mp3tag and MusicBrainz Picard to look at the metadata and I cannot see anywhere that "Pat Metheny Unity Group" occurs.

    Is there something that can be embedded in the .flac files that determines the artist and cannot be accessed/changed?

    Or, can someone recommend a different editor to use?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,795
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan99 View Post
    I have a whole bunch of .flac files and most are fine. However, a few are driving me mad!

    I am using the Squeezer app to play them via a music server running LMS.

    The issue I have is that in the "Album Artist" list then I get artists listed that I do not want! For instance, I have "Kin" by "Pat Metheny Unity Group". In the metadata I have set the Artist to "Pat Metheny" so that it is grouped with the other albums of his that I have.

    However, "Pat Metheny Unity Group" appears in the list and I cannot work out why.

    I have used mp3tag and MusicBrainz Picard to look at the metadata and I cannot see anywhere that "Pat Metheny Unity Group" occurs.

    Is there something that can be embedded in the .flac files that determines the artist and cannot be accessed/changed?

    Or, can someone recommend a different editor to use?
    Did you check "extended tags" in mp3tag?


    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Did you check "extended tags" in mp3tag?


    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Yes, nothing in "Extended Tags" to cause concern!

    Just been into Squeezer and can get information on the album and tracks.

    The album has "Artist" as Pat Metheny" and the "Album Artist" and "Track Artist" as "Pat Metheny Unity Group"

    The tracks have the "Album Artist" and "Track Artist" as "Pat Metheny Unity Group"

    Where on earth is it getting this from?!?!?!?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Apesbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,771
    Load folder into Mp3tag, select all, press ALT-T, set ARTIST=Pat Metheny. If present, delete ALBUMARTIST, ALBUM ARTIST, and TRACKARTIST; they aren't needed. (Or, keep them if you want, but set ALBUMARTIST and TRACKARTIST to Pat Metheny; delete ALBUM ARTIST.)

    Run a "full rescan", or temporarily remove folder from library, run a "new/changed", put folder back and run "new/changed" again, whichever is easier/faster.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Load folder into Mp3tag, select all, press ALT-T, set ARTIST=Pat Metheny. If present, delete ALBUMARTIST, ALBUM ARTIST, and TRACKARTIST; they aren't needed. (Or, keep them if you want, but set ALBUMARTIST and TRACKARTIST to Pat Metheny; delete ALBUM ARTIST.)

    Run a "full rescan", or temporarily remove folder from library, run a "new/changed", put folder back and run "new/changed" again, whichever is easier/faster.
    Thanks. Fixed it by explicitly setting ALBUMARTIST and TRACKARTIST to "Pat Metheny"

    Now to see if I can sort out the other ones.

    Cheers!

    PS. I am also finding that entries in the .cue files need fixing too!
    Last edited by MysteryMan99; 2021-09-19 at 06:58.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    183
    Lost in translation?

    The standard tags are (track) artist and title. The extra tag albumartist allows you to group a single track where artist is album artist featuring some other artist to belong to the same album. Extending this principle the albumartist tag also allows you to group artist with band to artist solo across multiple albums.

    So if you want an album by Neil Young and Crazy Horse to be listed under Neil Young you set albumartist to Neil Young and you set artist to Neil Young and Crazy Horse, i.e. the exact opposite of what you did.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    12,469
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonb3 View Post
    Lost in translation?

    The standard tags are (track) artist and title. The extra tag albumartist allows you to group a single track where artist is album artist featuring some other artist to belong to the same album. Extending this principle the albumartist tag also allows you to group artist with band to artist solo across multiple albums.

    So if you want an album by Neil Young and Crazy Horse to be listed under Neil Young you set albumartist to Neil Young and you set artist to Neil Young and Crazy Horse, i.e. the exact opposite of what you did.
    Agree.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oakville,Ontario,CA
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan99 View Post
    Yes, nothing in "Extended Tags" to cause concern!

    Just been into Squeezer and can get information on the album and tracks.

    The album has "Artist" as Pat Metheny" and the "Album Artist" and "Track Artist" as "Pat Metheny Unity Group"

    The tracks have the "Album Artist" and "Track Artist" as "Pat Metheny Unity Group"

    Where on earth is it getting this from?!?!?!?
    It's the ALBUMARTIST that is always displayed (not sure about TRACKARTIST). Once you start populating individual Artist with meaningful tags, Albumartist it's just a nuisance.
    In Jazz or Classical especially this tag does not make sense, perhaps in Rock or Pop it does.
    George

    Touch->Denon AVRS530BT ->Triangle Celius
    Synology->Duet->Denon AVRS530BT->Paradigm Monitor 7
    2 Duets, 1 SB3, 1 Touch, Transporter, Chromecasts
    Zenphone -> NAD Viso, Sony WH1000XM3
    2 servers -> Ubuntu Linux, NUC and Synology 1 Bay

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •