Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    And if it isn't obvious, THANK YOU for all the work you have put into pCP, and dealing with all this stuff. Probably time for another project contribution...

Give me a chance to run through it.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

The wifi driver does indeed take forever to compile on a piZero. Anyway I found the problem

Download new copies of the build scripts from the github. To avoid recompiling do this.

sudo mkdir -p /lib/modules/5.10.42-pcpCore
    sudo ln -s <path to kernel source> /lib/modules/5.10.42-pcpCore/build
    touch /tmp/mark
    cd to <path to wifidriversrc>
    touch 88XXau.ko
    pcp_make_module_extension -k 5.10.42-pcpCore -e 88XXau

You should have a good extension now. The contents are listed at the end of the build script.
    Code:
    [ INFO ] The contents of extension are:
    Parallel unsquashfs: Using 1 processor
    1 inodes (565 blocks) to write

drwxr-xr-x tc/staff                 26 2021-09-18 10:54 squashfs-root
    drwxr-xr-x tc/staff                 30 2021-09-18 10:54 squashfs-root/lib
    drwxr-xr-x tc/staff                 38 2021-09-18 10:54 squashfs-root/lib/modules
    drwxr-xr-x tc/staff                 29 2021-09-18 10:54 squashfs-root/lib/modules/5.10.42-pcpCore
    drwxr-xr-x tc/staff                 30 2021-09-18 10:54 squashfs-root/lib/modules/5.10.42-pcpCore/kernel
    drwxr-xr-x tc/staff                 26 2021-09-18 10:54 squashfs-root/lib/modules/5.10.42-pcpCore/kernel/drivers
    drwxr-xr-x tc/staff                 31 2021-09-18 10:54 squashfs-root/lib/modules/5.10.42-pcpCore/kernel/drivers/net
    drwxr-xr-x tc/staff                 32 2021-09-18 10:54 squashfs-root/lib/modules/5.10.42-pcpCore/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    -rw-r--r-- tc/staff            2310956 2021-09-18 10:53 squashfs-root/lib/modules/5.10.42-pcpCore/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/88XXau.ko
    Then obviously move it to the proper location.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    The wifi driver does indeed take forever to compile on a piZero. Anyway I found the problem
    I will give this a go tomorrow. Thanks very much, paul! I do appreciate your help with this, pCP allows me to maintain my now decades-old LMS ecosystem.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Then obviously move it to the proper location.
    Hi paul-1, your instructions worked a treat. Here's what I now have in /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/optional:

Code:
    tc@piCorePorch:/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/optional$ ls -al 88*
    -rw-r--r--    1 tc       staff       954368 Sep 19 08:56 88XX-5.10.42-pcpCore.tcz
    -rw-r--r--    1 tc       staff           59 Sep 19 08:56 88XX-5.10.42-pcpCore.tcz.md5.txt
    md5sums match and all, I did not check the internal contents of the archive since your build script output matched your quote.

Here is my onboot.lst:

Code:
    tc@piCorePorch:/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce$ cat onboot.lst
    crda.tcz
    firmware-atheros.tcz
    firmware-brcmwifi.tcz
    firmware-ralinkwifi.tcz
    firmware-rpi-wifi.tcz
    firmware-rtlwifi.tcz
    pcp-lirc.tcz
    pcp.tcz
    pigz.tcz
    wireless_tools.tcz
    wpa_supplicant.tcz
    88XX-5.10.42-pcpCore.tcz
    pcp-7.0.1-www.tcz
    Is this state safe to run the 8.0.0 in-situ update?

I know I will have to rerun the manual build again after a kernel update, but will the in-situ scripts continue warning us? Don't want to be caught unawares, like I said my pCP is headless.

Thanks again, very much!

No WiFi after 8.0.0 in-situ upgrade

Sadly, my wireless drivers didn't work after the 8.0.0 upgrade. The LEDs on my pCP Pi B+ showed CPU activity, but the WiFi dongle never recovered any LED activity, indicating no drivers.

I'm pulling an SD image now, in case I want to debug further. I will restore the 7.0.1 image I took a couple days ago to recover pCP.

Pondering debug options, I might be able to scrounge a WiFi-Ethernet bridge, or drag the pCP box into the garage for local access. Not sure what's going on with the kernel modules right now.

I'll have to stick with 7.0.1 for the time being, but if I want to upgrade the easiest solution is probably to find another USB dongle natively supported by the kernel.

I pulled the 7.0.1 wireless extension archives and will extract contents to see what drivers are available.

Shucks...

Could mine be a naming problem?

paul-1, is the extension name critical in loading? I used "88XX" as my extension name, and got these extensions as a result:

88XX-5.10.42-pcpCore.tcz
    88XX-5.10.42-pcpCore.tcz.md5.txt

But the actual driver name is "88XXau.ko" in the contents:

D:\Devices\Raspberry Pi\piCorePorch-Images\PCP-8812au\88XX-5.10.42-pcpCore.tcz\lib\modules\5.10.42-pcpCore\kernel\drivers\net\wireless\88XXau.ko

Do you think it's worth rebuilding my extension using "-e 88XXau" ?

I'm completely clueless about how pCP chooses to install these extensions during boot. It's clear that the kernel ID is important, maybe driver name too?

Quote Originally Posted by Braklet View Post
    Do you think it's worth rebuilding my extension using "-e 88XXau" ?
    I tried it, no change. No LED activity from the WiFi USB dongle.

Have to ponder my next course of action.

Extension name does not matter. Really need a keyboard and monitor to connect and see what is going on. Iĺve not been able to test the driver I built. All of my sticks I that use this driver are at work.

I believe you need to load wifi firmware extensions first before wireless_tools.tcz.

Note: The order was important originally, I am only assuming it still is!