Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Electrostatic speakers and.... a microwave

I've purchased my first electromagnetic speakers, Maggies LRS https://www.magnepan.com/model_lrs. Very happy with the purchase.

I have them in a temporary location in an open area that includes a large living room and a kitchen

I noticed that the speakers starts to distort the sound when the microwave is on...

Distortion does not start immediately after microwave is switched on, but once it starts, it persists and it stops immediately after microwave is turned off.

Is this real or do I have some other issue ?
    Last edited by matka; 2021-09-17 at 12:05.
    George

Touch->Denon AVRS530BT ->Triangle Celius
    Synology->Duet->Denon AVRS530BT->Paradigm Monitor 7
    2 Duets, 1 SB3, 1 Touch, Transporter, Chromecasts
    Zenphone -> NAD Viso, Sony WH1000XM3
    2 servers -> Ubuntu Linux, NUC and Synology 1 Bay

Quote Originally Posted by matka View Post
    I've purchased my first electrostatic speakers, Maggies LRS https://www.magnepan.com/model_lrs. Very happy with the purchase.

I have them in a temporary location in an open area that includes a large living room and a kitchen

I noticed that the speakers starts to distort the sound when the microwave is on...

Distortion does not start immediately after microwave is switched on, but once it starts, it persists and it stops immediately after microwave is turned off.

Is this real or do I have some other issue ?
    I don't know the answer but the price in the UK is more than double the price in the US. How do they get away with that?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I've purchased my first electrostatic speakers, Maggies LRS https://www.magnepan.com/model_lrs.
    Nice, but Magnepans aren't electrostatic speakers. They use electromagnetic force, as their name implies, not electrostatic force, to move their membranes.
    Last edited by chicks; 2021-09-17 at 07:16.
    piTouchÖ w/JustBoom DigiHat -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> JBL 305P MkII monitors; LMS 8.2 on piCorePlayer/Pi 4; Material Skin.

Microwave ovens have been reported as causing intererence to, either USB or Wireless Lans, or both.

Do some internet searching

I have never noticed it myself (with Quad 2905) and I love a readymeal !

ronnie
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2021-09-17 at 13:22. Reason: correct typo

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I don't know the answer but the price in the UK is more than double the price in the US. How do they get away with that?

It is inexpensive in US, $650.

I got it in Canada used and shipped from another province at below that, the box is just the 2 frames and very flat, maybe 6 inches, maybe less.

Great bargain, and I'm not using even a proper amp at the moment.

Ship to UK from US ?
    George

Quote Originally Posted by chicks View Post
    Nice, but Magnepans aren't electrostatic speakers. They use electromagnetic force, as their name implies, not electrostatic force, to move their membranes.
    Your are right, I had no idea on the technology twist
    Is a Magneplanar similar to an electrostatic speaker? [top]
    They are "kissing cousins" in the sense that the film (or ribbon) is very thin and low mass. The force (magnetic or electrostatic) drives the entire area so there is no need for rigidityŚtherefore, the mass can be reduced to the lowest possible levels.
    Nevertheless I was after the same characteristics, so it does not really matter, different sound than my boxed Triangles, great upgrade.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Microwave ovens have been reported as causing intererence to, either USB or Wireless Lans, or both.

Do some internet searching

I have never noticed it myself (with Quad 2905) and I love a readymeal !

ronnie
    Are Quads electrostatic or electromagnetic ?

I did search a bit and found some references that microwaves emit electromagnetic waves and might affect speaker drivers, but nothing specific about Maggies.

There are a number of Maggies forums, I will try there.
    George

It's power drain

Are Quads electrostatic or electromagnetic ?

I did search a bit and found some references that microwaves emit electromagnetic waves and might affect speaker drivers, but nothing specific about Maggies.

There are a number of Maggies forums, I will try there.
    I called Magnepan Technical Support (no wait time...) and they assured me that since speakers are 40 feet away form the microwave that it can't be magnetic interference.
    This leaves the power quality to the amp (temporary Denon receiver as I'm under renovations) that is drained when microwave is on. This makes perfect sense as the location is a cottage and far from modern code.
    George

For the record, Quads, like my Martin Logan's, are electrostatic designs.
    IMHO, given sufficient breathing room, bipolar speakers of this type of design (electrostatic, electromagnetic) are hard to beat!
    On the microwave front, they shouldn't be leaking much energy, there are strict safety requirements on that front. I would suspect polluted power might be the issue you're having.
    Enjoy and cheers! Dave
    Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio, and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight

I called Magnepan Technical Support (no wait time...) and they assured me that since speakers are 40 feet away form the microwave that it can't be magnetic interference.
    This leaves the power quality to the amp (temporary Denon receiver as I'm under renovations) that is drained when microwave is on. This makes perfect sense as the location is a cottage and far from modern code.
    Did your previous speakers distort when the microwave was on? I would be surprised if power to the amplifier was affected by the microwave, unless your lights dim at the same time.