Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • onesandnoughts
    • Sep 2021

Patching a SB touch

I have a Touch which has been pretty reliable over powerlines until last night when it all went south and wouldn't recognise LMS at all. When I sign into squeezer there is no player available and LMS is also flagging up 0 players recognised. I gave up trying to reconnect last night and am just starting again now. The Touch is on firmware 7.7.3 r16676 and LMS is 8.2.0 I checked the server log and have "You're using a SB Touch with a buggy firmware not recognising this version of LMS. Please consider patching it. Until then we'll try to play nice and return a fake version number..." I also get a link to github which is a readme about SB radio and LMS 8. I've followed the link and it talks about SB Radio firmware 7.7.3 having a bug that doesn't like LMS 8+

It suggests a patch for SB Radio but I have a Touch but have tried it anyway. It tells me to "On the radio go to settings/advanced/applet installer and install Patch Installer" - I have done that. Then, when rebooted, go to settings/advanced/patch installer and install "Version Comparison Fix". I've clicked on Patch Installer but there is no menu. Ive checked on server info on the Touch and all the mysqueezebox server data is present but all the LMS data is marked as Not Connected.

So the upshot is my LMS server log is asking me to patch my Touch as it's firmware is buggy but I'm not sure I'm using the correct method to patch or I'm doing it wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the 1997 version of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back on CD have just arrived and I would like to listen to them

Cheers in anticipation.
    Last edited by onesandnoughts; 2021-11-18, 18:00. Reason: Problem solved
  • Paul Webster
    • Apr 2005

You should not need to patch it because ... "we'll try to play nice and return a fake version number".
    So LMS tells touch that it is a v7 LMS.

Something else is going wrong.

Can you go back to basics and verify whether or not it works when connecting via ethernet?
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• onesandnoughts
      • Sep 2021

Thanks for that Paul. Hopefully eliminates a dead end. I've just connected via powerline, a VERY long ethernet cable direct to router and via wifi and with all options the player isn't recognised and LMS isn't showing up under "server info". I'll carry on digging and let you know if I unearth anything.

Comment

• onesandnoughts
        • Sep 2021

Ran LMS in safe mode and id a factory reset on touch. No players are connected and no LMS in server info

Now got firmware 7.8.0 r16754 in general info

Being offerered software updates for mysquuezebox 7.7.3 r16676 and update for user pc (where LMS is) 7.8.0 r16754

Do I accept them?

Comment

• slartibartfast
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by onesandnoughts
          Ran LMS in safe mode and id a factory reset on touch. No players are connected and no LMS in server info

Being offerered software updates for mysquuezebox 7.7.3 r16676 and update for user pc (where LMS is) 7.8.0 r16754

Do I accept them?
          Ignore the mysqueezebox firmware update. The other one is the same as you already have so can be ignored as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
          Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
          Bedroom: Radio
          Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• onesandnoughts
            • Sep 2021

Result!! I think. I had an email from Virgin this afternoon stating that they were going to adjust settings in our hub to make it faster etc. I then realised i'd forgotten that we run our hub in modem mode and use a secondary router. When I fiddled last night and earlier on I only reset the router and not them modem / hub. So I turned both off, waited 10 mins and on again (very IT crowd), did a factory reset and bingo - firing on all cylinders again.

Thanks for the replies and you time.

Cheers,

Karl

Comment

• P Nelson
              • Nov 2012

Do I accept them?
              The latest official firmware for the Touch is 7.8.0 r16754. Strange that mysqueezebox is saying 7.7.3 for an update. My Touch was stuck on the older firmware and I had to manually update it to 7.8.0.

Glad to hear yours is working again. Amazing how power off and on seems to fix things.

Comment

• garym
                • May 2008

since you're running LMS 8.2 you may want to tick the "community firmware" in LMS > Settings > Plugins. This will update any TOUCH, RADIO, or duet CONTROLLER's firmware to 8.0.1. I've been running this a while and have zero issues. Note that after installing the plugin, it may be 24 hours before you see your TOUCH show on its screen an option to update firmware (or on TOUCH menu go to settings, advanced, software updates, all after about 24 hours).
                Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• kidstypike
                  • Feb 2007

You also need to enable it. Settings > Advanced > Community . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	enableit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1573287
                  Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                  Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                  Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                  Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• onesandnoughts
                    • Sep 2021

Originally posted by P Nelson
                    The latest official firmware for the Touch is 7.8.0 r16754. Strange that mysqueezebox is saying 7.7.3 for an update. My Touch was stuck on the older firmware and I had to manually update it to 7.8.0.

Glad to hear yours is working again. Amazing how power off and on seems to fix things.
                    Thanks for that. It is indeed one of lifes greatest mysteries Also Star Wars CDs sound great.

Comment

• onesandnoughts
                      • Sep 2021

Originally posted by garym
                      since you're running LMS 8.2 you may want to tick the "community firmware" in LMS > Settings > Plugins. This will update any TOUCH, RADIO, or duet CONTROLLER's firmware to 8.0.1. I've been running this a while and have zero issues. Note that after installing the plugin, it may be 24 hours before you see your TOUCH show on its screen an option to update firmware (or on TOUCH menu go to settings, advanced, software updates, all after about 24 hours).
                      Thanks for the heads up, I'll go and have a play later on today. I'm spending tonight listening to music and enjoying not having to poke around in the advanced section
                      Last edited by onesandnoughts; 2021-09-16, 20:54.

Comment

• onesandnoughts
                        • Sep 2021

Originally posted by kidstypike
                        You also need to enable it. Settings > Advanced > Community . . .

[ATTACH]35752[/ATTACH]
                        Duly noted and appreciated

Comment

• onesandnoughts
                          • Sep 2021

Issue resolved

So a final update on this if anyone is searching on the web and runs into this problem.

After 24 hours the same issues returned so back to square one. After a bit of digging around on the web it appears that the powerline adaptors I use can be prone to going off line at random. Our house was rewired about 15 years ago and the main breaker board is younger than this so I'm inclined to be believe it's the powerline. They are TPLink units TL PA4020P and TL PA4010P. I updated firmware on both of them, turned off power saving mode on both, reset the router and modem and still got random cutting out. So out they came, super long ethernet cable back in, another reset of router / modem and Touch and, lo and behold, sonic joy

So I let the sytem run like this for 48 hours and got zero interruptions or drop outs so it's definitely our wiring or the powerlines. After umming and aahing and seeking advice I thought I'd try wifi for a bit rather than fork out yet more money on powerlines - may well try Devolo in the future. So I fiddled around with the router position as best I could - it wasn't ideal to start with - and have been running the Touch on wifi for about a week now with no issues at all.

So the long and short - Ethernet, ethernet, ethernet.

Comment

• Redrum
                            • Oct 2009

After a bit of digging around on the web it appears that the powerline adaptors I use can be prone to going off line at random. Our house was rewired about 15 years ago and the main breaker board is younger than this so I'm inclined to be believe it's the powerline.
                            I have not used powerline adaptors, but it has always been my understanding that they work best on the same circuit (breaker) but at least need to be on the same phase leg to work reliably or at all.

Here in the US/Northeast, power comes into our homes 240VAC - two hot "phases" (A,B or odd/even) and a neutral (and a ground of course). You obtain 240v between A+B, you have two "phases" of 120vac each between A + neutral and B + neutral. In your panel (typically) one phase is the left side row (A or odd number breakers), the other on the right (B or even number breakers).

So (again only my understanding, never tried) both the tx and rx of the adaptors need to both be on breakers of even or odd number, and work best (?) if they are on the same breaker, which allot of the time is not practical (allot of the time one breaker feeds an area/room.

If you are curious, maybe you could check this and try moving one or the other, at least as a test.

Jim

Comment

• onesandnoughts
                              • Sep 2021

Originally posted by Redrum
                              I have not used powerline adaptors, but it has always been my understanding that they work best on the same circuit (breaker) but at least need to be on the same phase leg to work reliably or at all.

Here in the US/Northeast, power comes into our homes 240VAC - two hot "phases" (A,B or odd/even) and a neutral (and a ground of course). You obtain 240v between A+B, you have two "phases" of 120vac each between A + neutral and B + neutral. In your panel (typically) one phase is the left side row (A or odd number breakers), the other on the right (B or even number breakers).

So (again only my understanding, never tried) both the tx and rx of the adaptors need to both be on breakers of even or odd number, and work best (?) if they are on the same breaker, which allot of the time is not practical (allot of the time one breaker feeds an area/room.

If you are curious, maybe you could check this and try moving one or the other, at least as a test.

Jim
                              Thanks for your awesome post Jim. Electricity is way above my pay grade so I rang our works site electrician who kindly explained to me the difference between US and UK (that’s where I am) domestic electrical circuits. All of the sockets in our house are on 1 x 32A breaker so in theory - distance between powerline sockets aside - they should be ok.

Interestingly I have been running successfully for several months on wifi only but I recently built a raspberry pi spotify client which is located near to the touch (they both feed into the same DAC) and I wanted to run it on ethernet so have revisited powerlines.

I bought another set, plugged everything in and got the same problem

After much reading and swearing I separated all of the electrical appliances in the area (DAC, amp, touch and raspberry pi) onto a 4 gang extension socket which left the powerline on its own socket. The theory being to shift anything electrically “noisy” away from the powerline. After doing this everything has been running seamlessly (touch wood!!)

Picture attached of our UK main consumer unit.

Comment

Working...