Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MQA, LMS and...Rasperry Pi

Hi:

A friend of mine asked me several times if MQA works in LMS. I always answer him I don't know. I have no interest in MQA. Anyway my friend is very interested in this.

I used several tests from here http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html and a Dragonfly Red, in a Mac and an iPad but these tests do not work

Am I doing something wrong? Is LMS compatible with MQA?

I read several threads in this forum but at this time I don't know what is the correct answer

Another question if is is there any DAC HAT for Rasperry Pi and an environment that could work with MQA

Could you help me?

Best Regards

JP

Quote Originally Posted by jotap_66 View Post
    Hi:

A friend of mine asked me several times if MQA works in LMS. I always answer him I don't know. I have no interest in MQA. Anyway my friend is very interested in this.

I used several tests from here http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html and a Dragonfly Red, in a Mac and an iPad but these tests do not work

I read several threads in this forum but at this time I don't know what is the correct answer

Another question if is is there any DAC HAT for Rasperry Pi and an environment that could work with MQA

Could you help me?

Best Regards

JP
    I claim no expertise but are you sure you are passing through the data unchanged ie with volume control at unity gain and no transcoding upsampling etc. If you are then i can't see why it would not work. IIRC from way back people used to check bit perfect output using dts encoded tracks.
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by "in a Mac and an iPad". What is the LMS server and what is the player?

Hi:

Was one of those threads "LMS and MQA"?

If it was, please excuse my suggesting it.

But if not, it may be of interest, not least as the first poster asks " IS THERE ANYONE WITH ANY KIND OF SQUEEZEBOX OR SQUEEZELITE EMULATOR SUCCESSFULLY PASSING FULL MQA, REGARDLESS OF DAC"?
    Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) on a Pi4.

Quote Originally Posted by adamdea View Post
    I claim no expertise but are you sure you are passing through the data unchanged ie with volume control at unity gain and no transcoding upsampling etc. If you are then i can't see why it would not work. IIRC from way back people used to check bit perfect output using dts encoded tracks.
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by "in a Mac and an iPad". What is the LMS server and what is the player?

Well. I almost sure the data is unchanged. In fact I have no problems using HighRes FLAC 24/96 files, but no MQA.

Due to this I asked if someone was using MQA in LMS.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderJon View Post
    Was one of those threads "LMS and MQA"?

If it was, please excuse my suggesting it.

But if not, it may be of interest, not least as the first poster asks " IS THERE ANYONE WITH ANY KIND OF SQUEEZEBOX OR SQUEEZELITE EMULATOR SUCCESSFULLY PASSING FULL MQA, REGARDLESS OF DAC"?

I think that I looked at those threads

JP

Well. I almost sure the data is unchanged. In fact I have no problems using HighRes FLAC 24/96 files, but no MQA.

JP
    I am not understanding what you are saying.
    In order to be decodable the MQA file must be passed completely unchanged (and that includes not having the volume changed by LMS). This not true of an ordinary flac file.
    Also, it did seem to me from the https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...69-LMS-and-MQA thread that some people had got MQA to work with LMS. perhaps @left channel can help
    Last edited by adamdea; 2021-09-15 at 09:52.

Quote Originally Posted by adamdea View Post
    I am not understanding what you are saying.
    In order to be decodable the MQA file must be passed completely unchanged (and that includes not having the volume changed by LMS). This not true of an ordinary flac file.
    Also, it did seem to me from the https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...69-LMS-and-MQA thread that some people had got MQA to work with LMS. perhaps @left channel can help
    What I am saying is I got to decode HighRes files with LMS. Not only standard 16/44.. Also 24/96. But not MQA files.

It is possible that you are right. But I don’t know how to pass a file completely unchanged for my Dragonfly decode MQA. What options must I select in LMS to do that? I read all the “LMS and MQA” thread but I do not understand what they did for MQA to work in LMS.

Could anybody help me?

JP
    Last edited by jotap_66; 2021-09-15 at 12:07.

What I am saying if I got to decode HighRes files with LMS. Not only 16/44.. Also 24/96. But not MQA files.

It is possible that you are right. But I don’t know how to pass a file completely unchanged for my Dragonfly decode MQA. What options must I select in LMS to do that? I read all the “LMS and MQA” thread but I do not understand what they did for MQA to work in LMS.

Could anybody help me?

JO
    as noted, decoding (playing) a 24/96 or 24/192 file is entirely different from decoding MQA. And is dragonfly an MQA-capable DAC? You'll need a DAC that is MQA capable to play any MQA files that are passed from LMS. I've read posts here that say this is possible.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

What I am saying is I got to decode HighRes files with LMS. Not only standard 16/44.. Also 24/96. But not MQA files.

Could anybody help me?

JP
    You will need to set volume to 100% and probably turn off replaygain as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    as noted, decoding (playing) a 24/96 or 24/192 file is entirely different from decoding MQA. And is dragonfly an MQA-capable DAC? You'll need a DAC that is MQA capable to play any MQA files that are passed from LMS. I've read posts here that say this is possible.
    Yes. MQA is very different of other HighRes formats

And yes, my Dragonfly Red can decode MQA. The decoded format is shown with a color in a LED.

About, the post, I read the same but I don’t know how to do it.

JP