Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Raspberry Pi 4 for audio and video

Can Raspberry Pi 4 with Picoreplayer or some other software play FLAC audio and MKV video on a single hdd. What I want is to have music and movies on one hdd.

Quote Originally Posted by zoleprole View Post
    Can Raspberry Pi 4 with Picoreplayer or some other software play FLAC audio and MKV video on a single hdd. What I want is to have music and movies on one hdd.
    This is certainly possible if you use the Raspberry Pi OS operating system (formerly known as Rasbian). piCorePlayer is a very minimal OS that is designed to be an audio player and/or LMS server. To the best of my knowledge, it does not support video playback. (My knowledge is always incomplete, though.) There are other operating systems available that will probably do what you want. Some people on this forum speak highly of Diet Pi, which seems to be less complicated than RPOS but not as stripped down as pCP.

Good luck on your quest!
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

My priority is best sound from LMS and FLAC music, so i will play movies from another hd and another TV box.

Quote Originally Posted by zoleprole View Post
    My priority is best sound from LMS and FLAC music, so i will play movies from another hd and another TV box.
    I think that's the best choice, but I want to be certain I did not mislead you. It is quite possible to install LMS and Squeezelite (the same software player that piCorePlayer uses), as well as VLC or some other software video player on a Pi 4 running the Raspberry Pi OS. And probably possible on Diet Pi and other OSes, too, but I really don't know about that. Adding video complicates matters, but it can work. I have a Pi 4 configured that way, but I use it only for occasional experimentation. I do not consider it satisfactory for daily use.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Give Max2Play a try:
    Max2Play | Audiophile Music and Video Player, Headless ...https://www.max2play.com

I use it for LMS and, from time to time, to play movies using XBMC. Only annoyance is that LMS and XBMC cannot run at the same time and need to log to admin browser to switch between them (but that takes just a minute!)