Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I assume JB is the left of the second, showing right and left channel (top bottom).

@slarti - can you stretch the JB vs CD to see a bit more detail? I have always thought that the station sounded real good, but in thinking, maybe it was especially things on the softer or even mid dynamic (Gabriel, Steely Dan, etc). Now that you mention it, I can remember turning down a real rocker because it was mildly irritating at higher volumes. Maybe this is why, Maybe you picked up on this right away and I was oblivious

Even though FLAC crashes,I wonder what their waveform looks like...

Jim
    Right, this shows JB Radio Left and Right at the top and CD Left and Right on the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Aha. Now I understand. I was reading this wrong. No coffee yet.
    and I had had my first cup...

I assume JB is the left of the second, showing right and left channel (top bottom).

@slarti - can you stretch the JB vs CD to see a bit more detail? I have always thought that the station sounded real good, but in thinking, maybe it was especially things on the softer or even mid dynamic (Gabriel, Steely Dan, etc). Now that you mention it, I can remember turning down a real rocker because it was mildly irritating at higher volumes. Maybe this is why, Maybe you picked up on this right away and I was oblivious

Even though FLAC crashes,I wonder what their waveform looks like...

Jim
    They are playing something now
    Am Fenster - City
    and that looks and sounds fine on both AAC and FLAC streams so not everything is compressed. Weird. The next track
    The Stable Song - Gregory Alan Isakov
    looks OK as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Maybe it depends on time of day, this is Rock The Casbah. It looks fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Just for fun ... I have added the Jazz flac station to my beta RadioNowPlaying plugin.
    Great Paul. Thanks

Working fine and with extended character set too, or does that come automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by ian_heys View Post
    Working fine and with extended character set too, or does that come automatically?
    That is the magic of UTF8 and JSON encoding.
    Basically - it works when everyone behaves well.

I found that the flac stream stopped just after an hour of playing.
    Could have been a local networking problem ... but if it happens again just after an hour then I suspect they are limiting things to prevent people using up bandwidth while not really listening.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Maybe it depends on time of day, this is Rock The Casbah. It looks fine to me.
    well...hmm...might explain why I think it sounds quite good (which I attributed to high bitrate, especially in the days when this was rare), and also why some rockers were a bit irritating, harsh sounding.

Maybe they have a "compress if needed algorithm". Maybe that is triggered by the different gains of their media files. We all have CD's/music files that have varied gain at record. Who knows, I'm not a producer

Makes me wonder if you would find the same thing for say, a RP track. For the songs you captured, they look fine, but....Who has a relationship with Bill to ask him? Michael?

Jim

well...hmm...might explain why I think it sounds quite good (which I attributed to high bitrate, especially in the days when this was rare), and also why some rockers were a bit irritating, harsh sounding.

Maybe they have a "compress if needed algorithm". Maybe that is triggered by the different gains of their media files. We all have CD's/music files that have varied gain at record. Who knows, I'm not a producer

Makes me wonder if you would find the same thing for say, a RP track. For the songs you captured, they look fine, but....Who has a relationship with Bill to ask him? Michael?

Jim
    All the currently playing tracks on JB Radio look fine. I'll check again later.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    All the currently playing tracks on JB Radio look fine. I'll check again later.

What are the chances that someone from JB Radio is reading this forum and took action after reading the complaints? (Vanishingly slim, I suspect.)
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Jim
    Well this is really odd. They finally played a track I have in my collection, Led Zeppelin - Thank You. The top track is from JB radio Left and Right. The bottom is from my CD. I normalised both waveforms to 0dB peak. They have done something very nasty indeed to it. I even checked remastered versions from Spotify to see if there were any loud remasters on there but no, this is all down to JB Radio. Incredible is one word for it.