X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • musicmachc
    • Sep 2021

Lost LAN connection on two SB Radios

Hi there!
    Thank you for maintaining these forums to keep SB devices "alive".
    Well, mine have been working without problems since years, but now I run into problems with LAN connections.
    Within one month two Radios lost LAN connection over night. Those devices don't get moved around.

Anyone experiencing the same issues?

(I can connect to LAN with other devices over the same cable.)

Thanks in advance
  • P Nelson
    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by musicmachc
    Hi there!
    Thank you for maintaining these forums to keep SB devices "alive".
    Well, mine have been working without problems since years, but now I run into problems with LAN connections.
    Within one month two Radios lost LAN connection over night. Those devices don't get moved around.

Thanks in advance
    Is your connection Wi-Fi or Ethernet? The test is to connect via ethernet to see if the problem goes away. If the problem is with Wi-Fi, it could be due to interference with the new WiFi6 standard. The SB Radios does not like WiFi6. The symptom is the radio will work are a while, and then drop the Wi-Fi connection, and shows a red symbol. Turning the SB Radio on and off will get it to work again, but it is temporary.

It does not have to be your router. The problem can be due to a neighbor using a router with WiFi6.
    Here is some more information on the problem:

If it is due to the interference problem, then one solution is to attach a Wi-Fi to ethernet bridge. The other solution is to install some software that will restart the internal Wi-Fi when there is a problem. See the following:

Paul

Comment

• sota748
      • May 2020

I had the same with one of my SB3.
      The Power Supply was the problem.
      A new one and it was up and running again.
      Dan
      Basement: rPi4 8GB server running LMS, Synology 218play as storage, Material skin as interface
      Bed room: SB3 -> Sony Headphones
      Living room: Duet -> Onkyo TX8130 -> PIEGA TMicro3 ->> PIEGA TMicroSub (or Cambridge Audio Minx X200)
      Music room: Touch -> Roksan ROK-DA1 -> Krell KAV300i -> B&W 805 signature ->> B&W ASW 825
      Workshop: SB3 -> Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 -> JBL ?

Comment

• musicmachc
        • Sep 2021

Originally posted by P Nelson
        Is your connection Wi-Fi or Ethernet?
        No, as stated it my post it's LAN, not Wi-Fi. I don't use Wi-Fi for my music network.
        Thanks for your suggestion on Wi-Fi6. I keep that in mind.

Comment

• musicmachc
          • Sep 2021

Originally posted by sota748
          I had the same with one of my SB3.
          The Power Supply was the problem.
          A new one and it was up and running again.
          I'll check that. It's weird. Yesterday one of two Radios started to work again.

Comment

• Redrum
            • Oct 2009

I agree with @sota748. Start with the power supply. The supplies are old and can appear to "work", but under load may not deliver the needed power. There are threads all over this forum where a new supply "fixed" a weird issue

I have had this happen on radios, and especially receivers.

cheap fix to try first. Even if it doesn't fix this issue the you will avoid the next issue caused by the power supply

Jim

Comment

• P Nelson
              • Nov 2012

No, as stated it my post it's LAN, not Wi-Fi. I don't use Wi-Fi for my music network.
              Sorry, I missed the point it was ethernet not wifi. Strange that two Radios having the problem at the same time; probabky the reason I jumped to the wifi as a problem.

If the power supply is the problem, then they both failed at the same time? Two power supplies or ethernet wires failing at the same time seems unprobable.

Reboot router and the radios and see if that resolves the issue? Is there an ethernet switch common to the radios that might have failed?

Comment

• RobbH
                • Jun 2017

This is a very minor point, but a Local Area Network includes devices connected by ethernet AND wifi. There's nothing wrong with using the term "LAN" to refer only to the ethernet connections, but it may make communication difficult at first. Now that that part is understood, there should be no more problems. So I am not suggesting you change your usage, just trying to explain why it was misunderstood.
                Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players. Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                  • Apr 2005

an even more minor point ... OP did say "the same cable" in the original post.
                  Paul Webster
                  Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                  and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• RobbH
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Paul Webster
                    an even more minor point ... OP did say "the same cable" in the original post.
                    True, and that certainly could have helped to clarify the issue, if we were all reading closely. I overlooked that part.
                    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players. Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

Working...