X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • svenks
    • Sep 2021

Problems with 2 Duets

Hi all
    This is my first post here, so bear with me if I miss some rule...

I've had a Squeezebox Duet for years, connected to my Readynas. No problems!
    Then, in early this year, it wnet bad meaning that it lost power. I determined that it was probably the power jack, as the power supply did supply the needed voltage.
    I managed to to find a guy, who was willing to sell me his old Duet, complete with controller + an extra battery. Now that I had a new one, I decided to see if I could replace the power input with another one, and I did succeed. So now I had 2, and I was able to connect my old controller to either - all good!

But now, something really mysterious has happened: Both of the receivers appear dead. The new, unrepaired one flatly refuses to do anything, but it does get the correct voltage and the optical port is lit. But no front light, trying to reset does nothing - it seems dead.
    The second one (the one I repaired) does much the same, but I did manage to get a green light for a minute today. After that - nothing! The power supply is OK and the optical port is lit - but as with the other Duet - no joy!

And of course, neither appears as a client on my router.

Needless to say I have tried moving them around the house, in case there was something with the 220V power, but nothing works.

I can accept one going bad - but 2 at the same time? It makes me thing of Samsung and the rumour that their units were preprogrammed to fail...

Any ideas will be appreciated!

BRGDS
    Sven Sorensen, Copenhagen
    Denmark
  • w3wilkes
    • Jan 2009

I know this sounds crazy, but it does sound like the power supply. They will show correct voltage, but can't support a load. You should grab a couple of these, I believe 9V (you can verify on your current power supply) for the receiver.
    Last edited by w3wilkes; 2021-09-09, 03:32.
    Wilkes

Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.5.1 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets ( both WiFi, both work perfectly, new power supply) and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.5.1 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B (WiFi) /Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Comment

• philippe_44
      • May 2008

The power supply on the duet is the one I replaced the most. The correlation between the two might be due to a surge in your electrical supply that triggered a weakness that exists in both.
      LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• Redrum
        • Oct 2009

agree with w3 and philippe, and I also suspect it's the inability to supply the needed current. I just replaced a duet controller ps (cut and splice) where the voltage read fine.

There was a very recent thread where the op could only get a radio to power up after a factory reset by pressing AND holding the pwr button, It he released it died. It turned out to be the ps.

These units are old, and the ps fail over time, So, even if it doesn't fix your problem, you will make it less likely you have a problem down the road. It's a relatively cheap investment.

Jim

Comment

• svenks
          • Sep 2021

Thank you very much, Gentlemen

It was already my intention to attach the 2 receivers to my professional power supply and see what happened, but your replies nevertheless convinced me of the cause!
          And true enough, attached to to big supply, both of the units would turn on and connect to the network.

I then measured the voltage from the 2 small power supplies when attached to their box, and would you believe it? Only 6 volts....
          I could also see the the voltage drop when the box tried to broadcast to find a router.

So, instead of buying a whole new setup (I have considered Bluesound Note), I will go and buy a generic power supply or two - I really think the ones supplied with the Duet must be low quality.

Thanks again, Gents!

BRGDS
          Sven Sorensen, Copenhagen
          Denmark

Comment

• Redrum
            • Oct 2009

Happy that you solved your issue!

Rather than low quality, I think a better description of these switching supplies is inexpensive and adequate when new. Age and heat cycling causes them to be susceptible to failing as they age. Of course you can always get a better supply, but isn't it nice that you can solve your issue so cheaply?

Glad you are still part of the family.
            Jim

Comment

• svenks
              • Sep 2021

Originally posted by Redrum
              Happy that you solved your issue!

but isn't it nice that you can solve your issue so cheaply?

Glad you are still part of the family.
              Jim
              Definitely! Instead of spending at least DKK 3000 (probably 4000) on Bluesound, I have ordered 2 generic power supplies with 9 different jacks for DKK267 - freight inclusive

/Sven

Comment

Working...