Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I have a University lab with effectively unlimited deionised water which has worked well on the rare occasions I clean LPs...

Robert
    If I see it on my weekly shop I'll grab some.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Techmoan has a couple of videos in his YouTube stream that try out a few methods for cleaning LPs. As far as I recall, none were particularly effective.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Techmoan has a couple of videos in his YouTube stream that try out a few methods for cleaning LPs. As far as I recall, none were particularly effective.

Robert
    That's encouraging then

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    That's encouraging then

It's worth checking out the videos, some of the simpler methods improve the crackles and pops associated with dirt - but not completely.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Anyone who is serious about cleaning their vinyl properly should be looking at a vacuum device, such as a VPI, Nitty-Gritty, Moth or Pro-Ject.
    Not cheap, but the best way to clean vinyl.

The gold standard always used to be the Keith Monks device - but it cost thousands. I see there's a cheaper one now available ("Prodigy") which appears to operate in a similar fashion, but I don't know anything about it.
    Until recently: Transporter -> ATC SCM100A, now sold :-(
    House move forced change to: piCorePlayer(RPi2/HiFiBerry DIGI2 Pro) -> Meridian 218 -> Meridian M6

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    Anyone who is serious about cleaning their vinyl properly should be looking at a vacuum device, such as a VPI, Nitty-Gritty, Moth or Pro-Ject.
    Not cheap, but the best way to clean vinyl.

The gold standard always used to be the Keith Monks device - but it cost thousands. I see there's a cheaper one now available ("Prodigy") which appears to operate in a similar fashion, but I don't know anything about it.
    Apparently ultrasonic cleaning is the new gold standard

https://degritter.com/

Jeff

Edit: Or the lower cost alternative https://theaudiophileman.com/record-...asonic-review/
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2021-09-07 at 03:37.

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

We are in Audiophiles aren't we?

Just checking because once we start getting into discussing "vinyl" we do open that enormous can of worms that is Hi-Fi.

Suffice to say that in my experience when digitising vinyl (I have done about 1,000 albums - some more than once) the two most significant elements in the chain are 1) the state of the vinyl and cleaning does help and 2) the turntable / cartridge in use - the software used is a bit academic. I have only ever digitised at 16/44.1 using ADCs that don't require drivers. I can't see any point in going higher.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Apparently ultrasonic cleaning is the new gold standard

https://degritter.com/
    Looks like it can make toast too while it's at it

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    We are in Audiophiles aren't we?

Just checking because once we start getting into discussing "vinyl" we do open that enormous can of worms that is Hi-Fi.

Suffice to say that in my experience when digitising vinyl (I have done about 1,000 albums - some more than once) the two most significant elements in the chain are 1) the state of the vinyl and cleaning does help and 2) the turntable / cartridge in use - the software used is a bit academic. I have only ever digitised at 16/44.1 using ADCs that don't require drivers. I can't see any point in going higher.
    I just cleaned my "Crime Of The Century" with Vinylclear and I'm impressed. The last track of this album has been unplayable for years (maybe since it was new) and now it plays perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I just cleaned my "Crime Of The Century" with Vinylclear and I'm impressed. The last track of this album has been unplayable for years (maybe since it was new) and now it plays perfectly.

The original pressing of Crime of the Century was pretty decent SQ wise IIRC
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes