Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS on RPi4 or Celeron i3955u Ubuntu server

Hi,

I'm seeing lots of posts stating the RPi4 is "good enough" to run LMS. However, I want iPeng to be as 'snappy' and responsive as possible - otherwise family members start to complain about laggy responses. My library is over 250,000 FLACs; many of which are 24/192. There are 3 squeezeboxes in our household.

Is RPi4 really that good? Would a Celeron i3955 based system be 'quicker' - ie 16gb RAM and NVM ssd as database drive? Thinking of the day-to-day running, not just library scanning.

My files are all stored on a separate microserver NAS running TrueNAS, which has an offsite clone - I don't want any other software running on this NAS.

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboyph View Post
    Is RPi4 really that good? Would a Celeron i3955 based system be 'quicker
    Is RPi4 really that good? I think so, yes. I haven't experienced any issues running LMS on one, with just a USB SATA HDD attached, albeit I "only" have ~70,000 tracks, which are a mix of FLAC (none 24/192) and assorted lossy formats.

I also stream 1080p HD video from it and it copes with that just fine.

Would a Celeron be "quicker"? Yes.

Would a Celeron be necessary? Probably not. And I think your using an SSD rather than the SATA HDD I have would make a significant difference on its own.

All just my two pennĺorth worth.

Jon
    Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS running on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) + OMV on a Pi4 (4GB RAM) in an Argon Neo case.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboyph;
    Is RPi4 really that good? Would a Celeron i3955 based system be 'quicker' - ie 16gb RAM and NVM ssd as database drive?
    See an answer I posted a while back to a similar question. It's not just performance, it's also about looks and ability to be repurposed. But maybe you already have the Celeron box so then this is already determined.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1000374

I have both a Pi and a Linux Server and a Core32

The Linux box is an old HP Microserver Athlon of some description with 8gb ram and a small SSD that holds the OS and LMS. Storage as with all others is on a NAS.

The Linux box is quickest by some way. I put it down in the main to the SSD
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Thanks folks. LMS is flying on the celeron machine. Ubuntu server and LMS installed on an NVMe SSD, can highly recommend for large libraries.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk