Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 147

Thread: Testers wanted

  1. #131
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    6,234
    The new hardware has been live for getting in for 36 hours and Iíve obviously been monitoring whatís going on. Iím really pleased with the SQ especially as I know that it would be easy to improve it a little further but as far as I am concerned the FLAC stream sounds pretty damn good with zero burps during my monitoring.

    I have been surprised how good it sounds on my Kitchen Echo Show using Philís Alexa skill.

    Iíve kept an eye on listener levels and I know that a number of people have popped in and out. We could really now do with some feedback on the SQ as listeners hear it if people have any.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net


    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

  2. #132
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western/Northern New York
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Can't remember whether it was you or someone else who commented on the volume level - but it has been boosted up to try to match other stations
    it was me early on....

    Travelling early in the am tomorrow, then looking forward to a weekend of listening! Thanks for all the effort you put in to sharing your collection with us Jim. Still wondering how you got access to allot of my library

    Jim

  3. #133
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    535
    I've been listening to the flac stream for the past hour. I am not the most critical judge, but I have found the sound quality very good, indeed. I have also thoroughly enjoyed the mix. I do notice that the metadata consistently leads the audio by about 50-60 seconds. I'm playing it on a group player, and some members of the group use the Airplay bridge, all of which adds some delay to the audio, but I don't think it's even close to that much. I am using Paul's Radio Now Playing plugin.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

  4. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield, UK
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Can't remember whether it was you or someone else who commented on the volume level - but it has been boosted up to try to match other stations
    Don't think it was me, but it sounds fine on the flac stream.
    Music Store and VPN Server: Synology DS215J NAS
    Study Server: LMS 8.2.0 on Pi 4B pCp 8.0.0/IQ Audio DAC+
    Refurbished 1962 RCA Stereo Console Server/Player LMS 8.2.0 on Pi 4B pCp 8.0.0/IQ Audio DAC+
    LAN Players: x2: pCp 8.0.0 on Pi 3B / IQ Audio DAC+
    LAN Player/ADC pCp 8.0.0 on Pi 3B / IQ audio Codec +
    PC Players: x2: Squeezelite on Windows 10 PC.
    VPN Mobile & Car Player: Material/SqueezePlayer on Android Phone

  5. #135
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield, UK
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    I've been listening to the flac stream for the past hour. I am not the most critical judge, but I have found the sound quality very good, indeed. I have also thoroughly enjoyed the mix. I do notice that the metadata consistently leads the audio by about 50-60 seconds.
    I'm noticing this to. Listening on a single piCore player.
    Music Store and VPN Server: Synology DS215J NAS
    Study Server: LMS 8.2.0 on Pi 4B pCp 8.0.0/IQ Audio DAC+
    Refurbished 1962 RCA Stereo Console Server/Player LMS 8.2.0 on Pi 4B pCp 8.0.0/IQ Audio DAC+
    LAN Players: x2: pCp 8.0.0 on Pi 3B / IQ Audio DAC+
    LAN Player/ADC pCp 8.0.0 on Pi 3B / IQ audio Codec +
    PC Players: x2: Squeezelite on Windows 10 PC.
    VPN Mobile & Car Player: Material/SqueezePlayer on Android Phone

  6. #136
    Senior Member kidstypike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brindle
    Posts
    4,869
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_heys View Post
    I'm noticing this to. Listening on a single piCore player.
    +1
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

    Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

  7. #137
    Senior Member ModelCitizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sussex UK
    Posts
    3,222

    Sound quality

    You asked about sound quality.

    I've just spent an hour or so playing the flac stream and comparing the tracks with my local versions.

    I was using:
    Naim NDX streamer (LMS via UPnP)
    Recently serviced Naim olives and Shahinian Arc speakers

    I realise that this is going to be a bit inconclusive but thought it worth posting.

    Two reasons for it being inconclusive:
    1) My own versions of the tracks consisted of MFSL remasters, PBThal 24-96 needle drops and ripped CDs
    2) I don't generally listen to radio on this system (even tidal) because the sound quality is always less impressive than playing local files.

    Observations:

    The stream played flawlessly.
    There was no album art (Material skin on Android mobile and Squeezebox Touch controller)
    The sound was a fair bit quieter than any of my local files and a little quieter than the radio stations I (quickly) tested it against
    In comparison to my local files the sound was flat, set back, bland and lacked presence.

    The best sound comparison would probably be against the PBThal 24-96 vinyl rips as these are needle drops (like Juke radio tracks?) from excellent equipment (and personally I suspect the 24-96 encoding adds little).
    Adjusting for volume difference I tried three of these against the tracks played on the radio station and the above still applied, the radio sound was flat, set back, bland and lacked presence. This difference marked, not subtle.

    But as I say radio generally seems like that when compared to local files, even normal Tidal files.

    Can I ask, do you use any volume levelling (i.e. replay gain etc)?

    Anyway, I enjoyed the music so thanks. I'd be very interested to hear some more modern electronic music and try a sound quality comparison
    Last edited by ModelCitizen; 2021-10-23 at 08:31.
    Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

    Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
    Kitchen/outside: Chromecast, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
    Boys room: Chromecast, Acoustic Energy AEGO M 2.1 speakers
    Guestroom: Radio
    Office computer: Squeezelite-X, Edifier R1280DB speakers, Mordant Short Avant 309i Subwoofer
    Veranda: Dac32, Altec Lancing ACS295 2.1 speaker system
    Barn: Chromecast, Dayton Audio DTA-100a class D amplifier & home made speakers
    Workshop: SB Classic, Logitech Z-4 2.1 PC Speakers with Remote Control
    Everywhere else: Chromecast TVs and Google Nest stuff
    LMS: Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    Control: Material Skin on Android mobile phone and any device that happens to be nearby

  8. #138
    Senior Member Heuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    794
    I have been comparing JR with Radio Paradise and Radio Blues on my office system (DAC32 > AE1 Actives) and I am finding the sound somewhat compressed and flat. The soundstage seems to be behind the speakers and there is a lack of bass compared to the other two streams, both of which are very good indeed. Same on our kitchen system (Touch>E30>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub).

    Not compared the SQ to my local music as yet.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

  9. #139
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,977
    FWIW I just used Audacity to record U2 Pride (in the name of love) from Juke Radio and my CD rip. I normalised both to 0dB peak then calculate replaygain values of both.
    Juke Radio -5.49 dB
    CD rip -5.51 dB
    That suggests no compression is being applied to the radio stream.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  10. #140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    6,234
    Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    You asked about sound quality.

    I've just spent an hour or so playing the flac stream and comparing the tracks with my local versions.

    I was using:
    Naim NDX streamer (LMS via UPnP)
    Recently serviced Naim olives and Shahinian Arc speakers

    I realise that this is going to be a bit inconclusive but thought it worth posting.

    Two reasons for it being inconclusive:
    1) My own versions of the tracks consisted of MFSL remasters, PBThal 24-96 needle drops and ripped CDs
    2) I don't generally listen to radio on this system (even tidal) because the sound quality is always less impressive than playing local files.

    Observations:

    The stream played flawlessly.
    There was no album art (Material skin on Android mobile and Squeezebox Touch controller)
    The sound was a fair bit quieter than any of my local files and a little quieter than the radio stations I (quickly) tested it against
    In comparison to my local files the sound was flat, set back, bland and lacked presence.

    The best sound comparison would probably be against the PBThal 24-96 vinyl rips as these are needle drops (like Juke radio tracks?) from excellent equipment (and personally I suspect the 24-96 encoding adds little).
    Adjusting for volume difference I tried three of these against the tracks played on the radio station and the above still applied, the radio sound was flat, set back, bland and lacked presence. This difference marked, not subtle.

    But as I say radio generally seems like that when compared to local files, even normal Tidal files.

    Can I ask, do you use any volume levelling (i.e. replay gain etc)?

    Anyway, I enjoyed the music so thanks. I'd be very interested to hear some more modern electronic music and try a sound quality comparison
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    I have been comparing JR with Radio Paradise and Radio Blues on my office system (DAC32 > AE1 Actives) and I am finding the sound somewhat compressed and flat. The soundstage seems to be behind the speakers and there is a lack of bass compared to the other two streams, both of which are very good indeed. Same on our kitchen system (Touch>E30>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub).

    Not compared the SQ to my local music as yet.
    Yes there is Replay Gain in play.
    On the SQ being flatter than local FLACs - part of the audio chain as it stands is digital to analogue then back to digital. This is the current situation due to a number of reasons and itís not going to be the case long term - which is why I know the SQ can be easily improved.
    About 40% of the stuff played is from needle drops at 16/44.1.
    On the 50-60 second out of sync cover art up date. At present Paulís Radio Now Playing has no means of ďtimingĒ the tracks because we donít currently provide it. This will be changed in due course so in future changes will be more accurate.
    NB to get cover art you need the Radio Now Playing plugin.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net


    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •