Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I somehow update to version 3 (despite unselecting it) without removing version 2 first.

What do I do now?

Quote Originally Posted by MillmoorRon View Post
    I somehow update to version 3 (despite unselecting it) without removing version 2 first.

What do I do now?
    Well, I'd intentionally changed the plugin ID of DPL v3 to prevent auto-updates and let the user decide if they want to update to v3. And I tested it at the time. But I guess LMS somehow decided that if 2 plugins have the same name they're still the same and it should auto-update. I didn't want to change the plugin name though to maintain compatibility with other plugins among other things.

Anyway, if you're fine with DPL v3 check the LMS home menu and your plugin folder. If there's only one Dynamic Playlist plugin and it's v3 you should be fine.

If for some reason you don't want to update to v3 and stick to DPL v2.x just download the old DPL and put the DynamicPlaylist folder in your local plugin folder. You'll find the path at the bottom of the LMS settings > information page. It's the path that does not have cache or server in it. Then LMS shouldn't auto-update DPL.
    Hope that helps.

Thank you. Successfully reverted to version 2.

I had 2 available plugin updates and the Dynamic Playlist one showed the warning about uninstalling the old one first so I unchecked it and picked apply but when the server restarted both had been updated!

It's good that someone has taken over this plugin and it will be maintained as I've used this for about 15 years now and it has always worked well. I will investigate the new version at some point but currently I just don't have as much time to tinker as I used to and my system is working very well.

Have you taken over development of Erland's other plugins too?

Thank you. Successfully reverted to version 2.

I had 2 available plugin updates and the Dynamic Playlist one showed the warning about uninstalling the old one first so I unchecked it and picked apply but when the server restarted both had been updated!

It's good that someone has taken over this plugin and it will be maintained as I've used this for about 15 years now and it has always worked well. I will investigate the new version at some point but currently I just don't have as much time to tinker as I used to and my system is working very well.

I have noticed before that updates get installed even if you uncheck them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call it a bug, but more of a design feature

First, off, thank you for picking this up and updating it. The Dynamic Playlists are very valuable to me, and I was happy to see a newer version after so long.

It appears that the playlists are currently limited to a max of 50 unplayed songs, and 100 played tracks to keep. When I try to update this value to my default of 2500, I get a message saying the limit is 50 and 100 respectively. I believe this is as designed, but I have dynamic playlists well into the thousands.

I tried to go into the dynamicplaylists.prefs and update this through there (I did not bounce the service afterwards, so that might be the trick that will solve the issue), but my updated values didn't appear to take.

Any chance the max values could be updated to some very large number?

Update: I just noticed that once the playlist gets to the end (aka 50), it automatically adds more songs to the end. Not exactly what I was expecting, but it does work. I will leave my original message, but it is most certainly not as important as it once was.
    Last edited by trmonnig; 2021-09-26 at 14:33.

I will investigate the new version at some point but currently I just don't have as much time to tinker as I used to and my system is working very well.
    I totally understand. Unless you use MySQL or rely on deprecated plugins (like multilibrary) I'm confident you'll find what's worked for you in v2 should still work in v3.

No. Apart from DPL I only use CustomSkip, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by trmonnig View Post
    It appears that the playlists are currently limited to a max of 50 unplayed songs, and 100 played tracks to keep. When I try to update this value to my default of 2500, I get a message saying the limit is 50 and 100 respectively. I believe this is as designed, but I have dynamic playlists well into the thousands.
    Yes, that's by design. Smaller playlists are less likely to make clients crash or feel sluggish and depending on your dynamic playlist definiton it increases the randomness of the returned tracks.
    When you say you have dynamic playlists with thousands of tracks, do you actually mean dynamic playlists (which are basically SQL queries that DPL uses to get tracks) or do you mean static/saved playlists (from the LMS playlists home menu)? If you want to add all tracks of a static playlist at once and play them in a random order that's totally possible and probably easier without DPL. I'll keep your idea in mind though.

less than 30% of artist played and no track added when playing never played Artist

Hi I have a strange discrepancy between Dynamic Playlists 3 and Visual statistics and @afriend I think you are the main developer of both plugins.

According to Visual statistics I have only 30% of played artists (visible in the "more library statistics (text"), yet when I try to play the Dynamic playlist "Artists - never played" no tracks is added like as if there is no track with this criteria. So who's wrong?

Dynamic playlist sql request is bigger but I can't see the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by werdeil View Post
    Hi I have a strange discrepancy between Dynamic Playlists 3 and Visual statistics and @afriend I think you are the main developer of both plugins.

According to Visual statistics I have only 30% of played artists (visible in the "more library statistics (text"), yet when I try to play the Dynamic playlist "Artists - never played" no tracks is added like as if there is no track with this criteria. So who's wrong?
    Played artists in this context means artists with at least one track whose playcount > 0. I've checked played artists with VS SQL and with DPL SQL. Comes up with the same number/percent of played artists here. Please note that this dynamic playlist ignores artists with fewer than 3 tracks. Actually a few of the built-in dynamic playlists have that mimimum requirement, esp. artist and album playlists. So that may be one reason. Or maybe you have excluded some genres in DPL settings? In my library I have only 6% played artists (because I wiped the persistent database some time ago) and when I play Artists - never played it works.
    BTW DPL should give you feedback if it doesn't find any tracks. The feedback's probably more visible and less easy to miss if you start the dynamic playlist on a jivelite player (piCorePlayer, SqueezePlay, SB Touch...).
    At the moment I can't reproduce this here.
    Last edited by afriend; 2021-09-28 at 07:17.

Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post
    Please note that this dynamic playlist ignores artists with fewer than 3 tracks. Actually a few of the built-in dynamic playlists have that mimimum requirement, esp. artist and album playlists. So that may be one reason.
    I think this is the reason, it is possible that I have 70% of artists with less than 3 tracks

Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post
    BTW DPL should give you feedback if it doesn't find any tracks. The feedback's probably more visible and less easy to miss if you start the dynamic playlist on a jivelite player (piCorePlayer, SqueezePlay, SB Touch...).
    I don't have this kind of feedback on the material skin view, I'll try on SB touch and default view to see this.