Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade LMS

I had forgotten he was using the "tiny LMS" built into the TOUCH. Yes that's mostly a disaster. You'll be VERY happy with the TOUCH as a player and LMS running on your rPi4. And you don't need a HAT, because your rPi won't be attached to the DAC. It will just run LMS. The DAC will connect to the TOUCH via optical or coax.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

If you are looking for a simple solution to running LMS, there is CORE32. https://polyvection.com/en/product/core32/.
    CORE32 will run LMS and talk to the Touch over your network (WiFI or ethernet). I have not used CORE32, but from reading the forum, it is supposed to be more plug and play solution.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I had forgotten he was using the "tiny LMS" built into the TOUCH. Yes that's mostly a disaster. You'll be VERY happy with the TOUCH as a player and LMS running on your rPi4. And you don't need a HAT, because your rPi won't be attached to the DAC. It will just run LMS. The DAC will connect to the TOUCH via optical or coax.
    @zoleprole - this is exactly what I am doing with two systems I use and others I have built for friends - use the RPI as a LMS server only. It's a relatively cheap investment - pi 3b+ or 4, power supply, sd card - <$50USD. Case if you want....

Of course you can also have the pi be a "player" also, but I still like using my players = touch, radio, boom (and also Philippe's squeezeamp).

I setup a friend originally with a touch running "tiny LMS" with his library on a usb jump drive, and while it worked, it crashed and became very limited (no Radio Paradise FLAC, no https which many radio stations and moving toward, etc.). So I just put together a pi for him as a server only, installed it, and said "you owe me $50".

Jim

Yes, you completely understood me.
    I'll buy Raspberry Pi only for LMS,
    is it necessary Pi 4 with 4 gb RAM or something cheaper ?

Quote Originally Posted by zoleprole View Post
    There is a shortage of raspberry pi worldwide at the moment.

I suggest that if you purchase new, use an Approved Reseller

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-pi-4-model-b/

I guess from your username you come from central /eastern Europe, but may reside elsewhere

If you buy from the UK both PiHut and Pimoroni are recommended.

If you want to go cheaper a rpi3 (or better rpi3b+) from a second hand seller might be an option. But, remember, Buyer Beware!! compare prices with a new rpi and also shipping costs.

Try and get an official rpi power supply and beware of fake micro SD cards.

Enjoy

ronnie

Yes, I am from Serbia,
    Does it matter RAM? 2Gb or 4Gb?

Yes, I am from Serbia,
    Does it matter RAM? 2Gb or 4Gb?
    If just as a server; 2gb is enough (will also suffice for use as a server/player)

Although it never hurts, imo, to have more ram than one needs and I would say 4 gb if you can justify the price increase.

The official power supply is also a recommended buy

I buy most of my sd cards from the "evil empire", this brand has proven reliable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-mic...073K14CVB?th=1

ronnie

I have 2 piCore’s (2 locations). One on a pi 3, and one on a pi 4 w/ 4g ram. The only difference is that scanning my library is a bit faster with the pi 4, but other than that, no difference in performance. So, a pi 4 with 4g is not necessary.
    Last edited by Tony T; 2021-09-14 at 05:48.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    If just as a server; 2gb is enough (will also suffice for use as a server/player)

Although it never hurts, imo, to have more ram than one needs and I would say 4 gb if you can justify the price increase.

The official power supply is also a recommended buy

I buy most of my sd cards from the "evil empire", this brand has proven reliable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-mic...073K14CVB?th=1

ronnie

Only problem is that Pi4's with 2GB are in short supply, I've been looking for a while now.

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Only problem is that Pi4's with 2GB are in short supply, I've been looking for a while now.
    Would a Raspberry Pi3 B+ suit the OP's application ? I believe it has 1GB ram, rather than the 2GB/4GB/8GB of the Pi4. But perhaps easier on the purse, and if it works well enough...